Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Just for fun, tho, saliva IS the primary mode of transmission for Hep B.
MMS: Error

And Hep C is transmitted thru/ saliva:
Hepatitis C And Saliva Transmission

As far as Hep A . . . the primary transmission is thru/ oral-fecal contamination. A restaurant worker can go to the potty, get fecal matter on their hands and then transmit it on something such as lettuce - wh/ can then end up in the dumpster. .
But saliva doesn't get transmitted by kissing, right? You got tired of reading your own link before you would have discovered that, allthough the Hep B was found in saliva, "Antibody was found in saliva early during clinical disease — probably a mechanism limiting infectiveness". Which is what you interpret to be "primary mode" of transmission, even though it is typically rendered non-infective.

But of course there is no chance that that fecal restaurant worker contamination can wind up in your salad, so eating inside that same restaurant is perfectly safe. OK.

The Hep B source you cited was written 38 years ago. Here's what the CDC says today, and this is the entire text of their FAQ statement, not something that I cherry-picked out:

Can Hepatitis B be spread through food?

Unlike Hepatitis A, it is not spread routinely through food or water. However, there have been instances in which Hepatitis B has been spread to babies when they have received food pre-chewed by an infected person.

What are ways Hepatitis B is not spread?
Hepatitis B virus is not spread by sharing eating utensils, breastfeeding, hugging, kissing, holding hands, coughing, or sneezing.

I'll pass your comments along to the CDC, who will no doubt rush to amend and correct their misinformation based on what you want them to say in order to support what you wrote before you bothered to do your homework.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-02-2012 at 11:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But saliva doesn't get transmitted by kissing, right? You got tired of reading your own link before you would have discovered that, allthough the Hep B was found in saliva, "Antibody was found in saliva early during clinical disease — probably a mechanism limiting infectiveness". Which is what you interpret to be "primary mode" of transmission, even though it is typically rendered non-infective.

But of course there is no chance that that fecal restaurant worker contamination can wind up in your salad, so eating inside that same restaurant is perfectly safe. OK.

The Hep B source you cited was written 38 years ago. Here's what the CDC says today, and this is the entire text of their FAQ statement, not something that I cherry-picked out:

Can Hepatitis B be spread through food?

Unlike Hepatitis A, it is not spread routinely through food or water. However, there have been instances in which Hepatitis B has been spread to babies when they have received food pre-chewed by an infected person.

What are ways Hepatitis B is not spread?
Hepatitis B virus is not spread by sharing eating utensils, breastfeeding, hugging, kissing, holding hands, coughing, or sneezing.

I'll pass your comments along to the CDC, who will no doubt rush to amend and correct their misinformation based on what you want them to say in order to support what you wrote before you bothered to do your homework.
Again, I quickly posted some info b/c I am not gonna spend hours debating someone who isn't interested in truth but rather only wants to justify himself. You are playing games and ignoring the full info in re: to disease transmission. I am not here to justify what I wrote:it is accurate. If you want to waste time trying to "prove" I am wrong instead of taking note so you can change your habits and protect yourself while engaging in high risk activities, that's your business. Good luck to you.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
When I was in college there were a couple of places I would regularly go to look for change on the ground. In case you're interested, they were at the exit booths of parking lots--people sometimes drop change as they're paying and they don't ordinarily get out to pick it up. Still, even when my income was close to zero I didn't spend a lot of time riding my bike around looking for it, and now the value of my time far exceeds what I could ever get doing that.

On the other hand, I'm among the few people I know who regularly pick up change from the ground. Even the pennies add up. The biggest haul was when I was in Brooklyn with my family and we came upon $40.00 on the ground at the same time as another guy, so we split it. I felt bad for whoever lost it, but I also knew that they weren't going to find it no matter what happened.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:11 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That fluffy stuff also wreaks havoc on my 1.6 gallon toilet. Plugged it up constantly.

I miss plain old Charmin before they started messing with it.
I hear that all the time. I guess "new and improved" doesn't really make it so!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I hear that all the time. I guess "new and improved" doesn't really make it so!
Yes, that sure seems to be the case.

We have a thread going in the Charlotte forum about how orange juice container sizes have gone down from 64 oz. to 59 oz. I had not noticed this change and just bought the brand in discussion yesterday! Who knew to check out the capacity of the container, to check and see if they had lowered capacity?

Toilet paper rolls have gotten smaller (less wide). I had noticed that. I read an article months ago about that and how much money that was saving the manufacturers. But it makes the roll slide around on the dispenser, lol.

I had noticed that many cereals have lowered the capacity in the boxes.

So I guess if one is trying to be frugal, we better be noticing when the capacity has been lowered. It is like being a sleuth these days to make sure we are really getting the values we think we are getting.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
When I was in college there were a couple of places I would regularly go to look for change on the ground. In case you're interested, they were at the exit booths of parking lots--people sometimes drop change as they're paying and they don't ordinarily get out to pick it up. Still, even when my income was close to zero I didn't spend a lot of time riding my bike around looking for it, and now the value of my time far exceeds what I could ever get doing that.

On the other hand, I'm among the few people I know who regularly pick up change from the ground. Even the pennies add up. The biggest haul was when I was in Brooklyn with my family and we came upon $40.00 on the ground at the same time as another guy, so we split it. I felt bad for whoever lost it, but I also knew that they weren't going to find it no matter what happened.
My dad has continually found change for his entire life. We used to think that was so interesting - that he consistently found quarters, for ex. When I was about 12, I asked him why he was so lucky at finding money on the ground, lol. He said - people don't look down - and - people drop change while pulling out money around parking meters and while getting out of cars. He said - just look around parking lots as you are walking through them, or around parking meters, or around phone booths (a rarity now!) . . . or at the pick up window at restaurants (back in the days when they were "walk up" - now they are all "drive up").

I started noticing and from that point on, I have found a lot of change on the ground that others either missed or didn't bother to pick up. It does add up! But I would never actually spend time looking for change on the ground. Like you, JACK, I just look down when walking in parking lots or getting in and out of my own car.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 AM

I had a friend who, every time he walked past a pay-phone, he would press the coin return button. There was seldom a day that he didn't get at least enough for lunch. He had a regular route he would walk to and from school, hitting all the phones.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I had a friend who, every time he walked past a pay-phone, he would press the coin return button. There was seldom a day that he didn't get at least enough for lunch. He had a regular route he would walk to and from school, hitting all the phones.
Too bad there are so few of these phones left, lol. They used to pay off fairly regularly for me, too. Especially nice when I was a college student and those quarters went a long way. Gas was only $.27 a gallon back then.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 PM

When I took my trash out today, there was an orange on the ground by the dumpster. It felt a little soft, like it had been dropped, but there were no breaks in the peel, and no obvious signs of spoilage. Somebody probably threw it out because it fell on their kitchen floor. I never buy oranges, they are too expensive for what you get (mostly juice, which can be bought cheaper), and the quality is too inconsistent. I took it home and ate it, and it was quite good---a nice change from the ordinary. I wouldn't gloat about one orange, I save that for finding a whole bag, but it did sort of make my day.

I'd have gladly shared my nice unexpected windfall with any of you, but I'd be afraid you would consider the mere gesture of offering it to be an insult.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

We have a thread going in the Charlotte forum about how orange juice container sizes have gone down from 64 oz. to 59 oz. I had not noticed this change and just bought the brand in discussion yesterday! Who knew to check out the capacity of the container, to check and see if they had lowered capacity?
Tuna cans have gotten smaller, too. I used to get two generous sandwiches with a can of tuna, a little mayo, and some chopped onions and pickles. I hadn't bought tuna for awhile and I was shocked when I could barely get a sandwich and a half!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living