Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:29 AM

61,748 posts, read 87,217,162 times

Advertisements

The "Builder" trade journal has stumbled upon an interesting anomaly in the Houston real estate market – rather than downsizing, an increasingly popular trend that has been increasingly covered by numerous outlets since the housing downturn commenced, builders in the Bayou City are taking advantage of the inexpensive land costs and building bigger.

Low Costs Inspire Trend-Bucking Homes in Houston | Houston Agent Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:18 PM

224 posts, read 947,463 times
I lived in a 513 sq ft house with my two kids for 11 years. Two bedrooms, one literally the size of a walk-in closet and the other not much bigger. A bathroom too small for a bathtub (shower only). It had an open kitchen-living room so the living area wasn't too bad.

That said... we have moved on, and I wouldn't do that again.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:33 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,875,708 times
DH and I have several nice parcels of land I inherited from my family (all rural but beautiful). There is a shortage of rental properties in our region so I've been investigating the most economical option for adding small housing units on the land for rental income. I just don't see these super-small houses as viable options. It appears that used mobile homes will be the best option. They are mass produced and seem to be very efficiently laid out and insulated. I understand that they depreciate in value but if properly maintained, they should prove sturdy and satisfactory for good rentals.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:17 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,603,547 times
Couldn't live in something smaller than 500 sq ft. Did that for 5 years and eventually the walls seemed to close in on me.

I currently live in a 1500+ sq ft home. Hate the layout. Don't need as much space as I have but would like a different floor plan. I would love to have a newer 2 bedroom 2 bath home without an HOA. Haven't found one in my area. Need to be a reasonable distance from work.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
... the most economical option for adding small housing units on the land for rental income. ... used mobile homes will be the best option. ...
Yes, Used Mobile Homes are the least expensive (and quickest) way to establish housing. They can be had for free from folks who can't move them. Also manufacturers have NEW homes that were bought but never delivered (usually sold for cost + 10%). I have found many newer modular homes for $30,000. You often need a 'placement' permit rather than a full blown (and expensive) building permit.

FHA does not insure mortgages on manufactured homes built prior to June 15, 1976. Most other mortgage insurance firms follow FHA's policy. (there was a code change disallowing aluminum wiring)http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?...g/ramh/mhs/faq

I have found the versions with metal siding far superior in longevity / maintenance to the 'current / 90's style T-111 / composite wood' siding and conventional asphalt roof.

How to Remodel Older Mobile Homes | eHow.com
How to Finance a Mobile Home | eHow.com

Financing these can be an issue. You will want one on a foundation (or better yet a basement). If you have sloped lots, you can make a daylight basement, add a single wide mobile and a large covered deck on top, and you will have some inexpensively taxed improvements with good rental return.

I have been able to get a license to install my own septic systems. That saves about $5000 / lot. You can rent the equipment to run power and water and do that in a weekend.
Be sure to tie them down (steel straps and auger stakes). My neighbor's brand new modular was blown flat, back when I was about 12 yrs old.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
I lived in a 450 sq foot granny's quarters for a while and boy do I wish I could go back to that. I had more than enough room for all my stuff and I could fit my cal king bed in the bedroom. I prefer small houses, the one I'm in right now is hovering around 1700 and it's a 4 bedroom with 3 other people living there and it still seems too big.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
its time for americans who cant afford bigger houses to downsize. its time for americans who can afford more, to get what they want.

americans dont want to be like europeans living in small "flats." we want big houses with lots of space and lots of land.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its time for americans who cant afford bigger houses to downsize. its time for americans who can afford more, to get what they want.

americans dont want to be like europeans living in small "flats." we want big houses with lots of space and lots of land.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:38 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Cabin with 2 bedrooms sounds fine to me. I would prefer it perched on a wooded hillside. 700-1000sqft would likely suit me the best.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:53 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

The REAL determining factor is how close you want to be to your spouse .. all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living