Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:56 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,488,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Come on folks! Really? You can't give this family credit for departing from their norm? You're only being frugal if you lead a life of total deprivation? I applaud their effort. Spending $1,500 to $2,000 less than they usually spend is going to hurt. I just read in the "Frugal Virgin" thread where someone advised the poster to start small and not try to do too much. Who knows, this may be the beginning of a new lifestyle, and others may be inspired by their efforts, whereas they would be discouraged if they went to the extreme.
Sure, it's nice that they are trying, but all I read in that article is that they waste a lot of money every month. They spend $1500-$2000 monthly on things they admit they don't need (with the exception of groceries). But they went and stocked up beforehand, so I don't get that concept. It is the same money whether you spent it yesterday or today.

Their cutbacks for this month could pay all my total expenses for the month, including a mortgage. To me, that is more sad than it is impressive. The guy complains that his pockets are empty, and doesn't acknowledge that it is because they are so wasteful. If they are short on money, they should look at cutting $500 worth of waste every month instead of going extreme for 1 month.

My point was: Why is this newsworthy? Why was it worth having a reporter go out and interview them about the fact that they intend to waste less money for 30 days? I don't get that at all.

And no, I absolutely don't think you have to deprive yourself to be frugal. I consider myself frugal even though both my cars were purchased new (they are now 6 and 14 years old), and I bought a new couch, new entertainment center and new big screen TV (old ones were all 10+ years old) last year. It isn't about deprivation, its about not being wasteful. I don't buy things that I don't either need or truly want. I don't buy on a whim, I don't go after new gadgets just because they are new (I only carry an emergency cell phone that charges me for each day I use it, last year I used the cell phone 10 times) and I always make sure I get the best possible deal on whatever I do buy, and then I use them until they aren't functional anymore. To me, that is being frugal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 08:26 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Some have heard of “frugal Fridays,” but the Dunning family in Davis, Calif., is practicing “frugal February.”

“Since my pockets were empty, it was not a real hard decision to make,” writer Bob Dunning said.

Calif. Family Vows Not to Spend Money for Month - ABC News
Coming from Davis, this doesn't surprise me nor seem like a big deal.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:59 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
My point was: Why is this newsworthy? Why was it worth having a reporter go out and interview them about the fact that they intend to waste less money for 30 days? I don't get that at all.
I am with you -- why haven't I gotten interviewed? I live my life like that. Last Wedesday I went to Starbucks and got a mocha.... and I haven't had one since October.... I regularly drive past stores and don't go in. Where's my 15 minutes of fame?

Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
And then at the end of the month, they will all run out and buy the things that they would have bought during their month of austerity. Replace all those old clothes that are a month old, restock the fridge with snacky foods.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:53 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I am with you -- why haven't I gotten interviewed? I live my life like that. Last Wedesday I went to Starbucks and got a mocha.... and I haven't had one since October.... I regularly drive past stores and don't go in. Where's my 15 minutes of fame?
I haven't been since 2009. I drink coffee at my neighbor's house for free, LOL. Maybe I should get interviewed too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living