Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:02 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Price matching? Do you bring ads in from other supermarkets for their sale items and ask them to match their price? Is that common with supermarkets?
Who does it? I know some electronic stores do this, but wasn't aware food stores do this.
Walmart is the only store that does ad matching here. The regular supermarkets don't. Walmart sells for the supermarket sales price but it's not automatic. So you need to be sure and tell the cashier that it's an ad match so they can enter it correctly. I've actually had customers who thought all the stores sales ads were in our computers! lol Or worse yet, why don't *I* know ALL those sales??

There are some 'rules and regulations' when it comes to ad matching but they are few. For instance, if there's a buy one get one free ad in Safeway's sales, unless there's an actual price printed for the first one, we can't do it. And most of those BOGOs don't list a price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 01:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Our budget is a wee bit higher for two adults however, Sneakers is diabetic and I cannot use potatoes, pasta, rice and beans like I used to unless they are well planned and unfortunately can only be on days when his glucose numbers are low. We have a lot of meat, fresh vegetables, fresh fruit and salad greens, snacks are generally sugar free jello and pudding for him, a small serving of ice cream or fresh popped popcorn with little if any salt and butter. Dairy is also limited and chips and things like that are again few and far between. I do make fresh salsa often and salad dressing but again I have to watch very closely what he consumes because of his diabetes. Also, I cannot have any artificial sweetner because it gives me migraines so when I make jello or pudding I make sugar free and regular. Otherwise we eat the same meals together when he is home and we don't go out to eat very often.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:00 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
I think w/ tons of rice... (made into congee / porridge) then add a can of potted meat here & a can veggies there, yes its possible (that is what I reserve for my SHTF scenario food to stretch out food supplies).

Oh... and grow a garden & can your own = stretching food budget too.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:11 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Not just rice [which people usually associate with beans]. But also potatoes, and any whole grain.

Whole grain has a great deal more nutrients as compared to polished white rice.

Each grain is different, so use a selection and mix it up.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:40 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
^^^ITA!
And harvest & eat your dandelion greens before your garden produce is ready.... dandelion = free food & very very good for you.
http://www.leaflady.org/health_benef...dandelions.htm

Old 03-29-2012, 04:47 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
^^^ITA!
And harvest & eat your dandelion greens before your garden produce is ready.... dandelion = free food & very very good for you.
The Health Benefits of Dandelions
I am absolutely going to try to do this this year.

Last year, I did a lot of foraging of dandelions (both the flowers and the greens), as well as a lot of other stuff, but I was doing it for my very old rabbit, Greg.

I also have a bunch of Japanese knotweed. It's supposed to be very good if harvested in the early spring; a couple of years ago, I cooked some up but it was pretty disgusting. It was later into the summer, though.

Last edited by Cinebar; 03-29-2012 at 05:03 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 887 times
There is a website called Po' Man Meals, where they have a $30 for 5 meals series. It really helped us save money. [url=http://www.pomanmeals.com/category/30-for-5-meals/]po' man meals - $30 for 5 meals![/url]

Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I've been trying to cut down my food budget. I haven't gotten it cheap and healthy (which for me means reducing carbs) but the more disciplined I get, the better it will be!

My last big meal was eggplant parmasean over baked ziti. Aldi's had cheese on sale, so I stocked up.

1 lb box of whole wheat ziti - $2
jar of tomato sauce - $2
eggplant - $2
3 eggs - .25c ($1 for a dozen)
1 cup bread crumbs - .50c
cheeses - $5
mushrooms - $2
leftovers of bulk bag of spinach - $1
Total = $14.75

I ate it for 5 days of lunch at work, plus dinner the first night, and I frozen 4 more individual serving bags for future work lunches. $1.50 for a full meal, $7.50 for lunch for the week. That's less than many people spend on one lunch out. Not bad.

Tonight I am making a kale, cannolini bean, and quinoa salad.
2 bunches organic kale - $5
quinoa - $2
garlic - .50c
lemon - .50
cannolini beans - $1
tahini - $1 (most expensive item, but it doesn't take much out of the $10 jar)

Total = $10 for 3 or 4 meals, or I could stretch it even more by tossing in leftover meat.

I keep an eye out for sales of staples like olive oil, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, etc so those are not counted in the totals.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:46 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
^
thats an interesting question about bulk and staple costs worked into a food budget, since they dont easily factor into a weekly food cost.

I think what Im going to do as an experiment is add up food costs per month (or four weeks) and then divide up by the days to get a weekly food cost. This would pull in some bulk purchases and stapes (which sort of run out at different times...for example one does not buy a bottle of olive oil the same week one buys a box of oatmeal or sugar)

So I figure a monthly average would catch these interimittent staples/bulk purchases.

(after rent and utilities food is my big monthly expense so Im interested in this topic as a way of cutting back since this is about the only budget line where I have some flexibility)

Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
It really depends on how many mouths to feed, how much one needs to eat and what you buy. I like the other mentioned deals I'll have to look into that also. Surprisingly food is actually one of my cheapest expenses and don't ask me how, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living