Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My big worry about hiding money in the house is in case there's a fire.

I used to do that, except I scattered it all over the house, in different piles, for different reasons.

One pile for potential plumbing repairs, another for air-conditioning repairs, another for travel funds. I used to do books as well, but having once taken piles of books to a Salvation Army, I realized months down the road, I had stuck a few $100's in one of those books. Gone!

But there's been a few nice surprises along the way. When rolling up a dining room carpet one time, lo and behold, had completely forgotten about my doing it, there was 7 $100 bills!

Or did a former roommate hide them there?
If you're gonna hide money at home, at least hide gold.. I don't think it burns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
My big worry about hiding money in the house is in case there's a fire.
You can get a fire-resistant pouch or document bag for about ten bucks, that you can pack at least $50,000 into. Keep it inside a metal enclosure, to protect it from direct flames (such as the drawer under your stove, or a metal tool box). The metal box itself may not protect money, as a house fire typically burns at about 600 degrees, and paper will burst into flames at 450. So you only need something that will keep the contents from fully rising to the ambient temperature of the burning room. Inside a fire-resistant pouch which is inside a metal box protecting it from direct flame should be enough.

A metal box alone will probably protect money, unless the room it is in becomes fully alight with a sustained fire and is totally destroyed. Such fires are extremely rare, unless you live in a rural area with problematic fire protection and the firemen just let it burn itself out.

For cash, water is not an issue. Paper money is highly tolerant to water, and can remain submerged unprotected for quite a long time and still be salvageable. So it doesn't need to be protected against flooding or fire hoses.

Tightly packed paper provides pretty good insulation against fire. A wad of a couple hundred bills, it will take quite a while for the heat to penetrate beyond the outer layer of paper, if they are tightly wrapped so they don't flutter open, like a book on a shelf. It would be unusual for a tightly wrapped pack of bills to burn in a fire so thoroughly that they cannot be salvaged and redeemed.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-29-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 12:05 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
If -- IF -- I kept cash in the house, it would be in one obscure place that I see everyday -- and no one else would think twice about. (the hide in plain sight theory) By seeing it every day, hopefully that would be enough of a subconscious reminder that it's there and I wouldn't run out and forget it.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:42 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
There's something to be said for hiding things in plain sight! I learned that from my true crime books!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
There's something to be said for hiding things in plain sight! I learned that from my true crime books!
I often spend days looking for things that I've set down in plain sight, even when I know what they are and what they look like.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:38 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
You must be talking about your reading glasses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living