Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Exactly! I am also from the Midwest, my grandpa was farmer, and I have similar values. I would never buy a luxury car either because they serve no absolutely no purpose and they are a money pit. My 98 Ford Ranger is good with gas, reliable and can haul more stuff than any luxury car ever would.

I was reading about someone who decided to take a Mercedes GL 450 off road here in Iowa, after all it is a "sport utility-luxury vehicle", this piece of **** almost disintegrated on a muddy road, guess what, owner left broken down in the middle of nowhere, and these cars retail at 60 grand!, they had to call a guy with a 2001 F-250 to pull it out of the mud.

My truck represents my country values, simplicity, humility and hard work. Why should I drive something that draws attention to myself? I like to be like everybody else, and don't need validation from anybody because I am not better than anybody else.

Not to mention that pulling into a small town here in Iowa, driving a 7 series BMW would look absolutely stupid.

Luxury cars to me, appeal to the unstable, underachieving, insecure and egocentric person who needs constant validation from others, usually they say, the bigger the car, smaller the package.
I couldn't imagine living in a place with such soul-stifling conformity that driving a 7-series "would look absolutely stupid," much less proudly bragging about it.

It's interesting you claim that you don't need validation from anybody else yet you appear to live your life seeking the validation of your community, lest you -- *gasp!* -- "stand out." Evidently, validation is every bit as important to you as you claim it is for those who buy luxury cars; you just don't recognize it because it's a different from of validation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 06:42 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,307,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I couldn't imagine living in a place with such soul-stifling conformity that driving a 7-series "would look absolutely stupid," much less proudly bragging about it.
I will make sure I talk to some of our local farmers here about the "superiority" of luxury cars over "soul stifling" vehicles like the Ford F-150 or the Chevy Silverado.

I am sure they will begin to understand why they should pay 60 K for a "luxury" SUV instead.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:
I will make sure I talk to some of our local farmers about the "superiority" of luxury cars over "soul stifling" vehicles like the Ford F-150 or the Chevy Silverado.

I am sure they will begin to understand why they should pay 60 K for a Mercedes SUV instead.
I grew up in small town Iowa and lived there from 1980-1999. Know what?! Almost ALL of the local farmers owned an old "work truck", a brand new pickup, AND a brand new Cadillac which their wife drove. Farmers may sometimes look like paupers, but don't judge a book by its cover. Almost all the "poor farmers" would walk into the Cadillac dealership and write a check for a new Caddy Deville every couple years the same goes for their pickups. Have you looked at the price of trucks nowadays anyway?! My '10 F-150 had an MSRP over $50K! That IS Mercedes money!

Don't tell me farmers don't buy luxury vehicles! Heck most of my uncle's as well as my dad are farmers in rural Iowa and they all have nice pickups as well as a luxury sedan and/or crossover! Farmers may not buy a Mercedes or BMW but they WILL buy a new Cadillac or Lariat F-150 without flinching!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:22 PM

297 posts, read 740,385 times
Quote:

Exactly! I am also from the Midwest, my grandpa was farmer, and I have similar values. I would never buy a luxury car either because they serve no absolutely no purpose and they are a money pit. My 98 Ford Ranger is good with gas, reliable and can haul more stuff than any luxury car ever would.

Luxury cars to me, appeal to the unstable, underachieving, insecure and egocentric person who needs constant validation from others, usually they say, the bigger the car, smaller the package.
How ironic coming from someone who drives a Ford Ranger.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,811 times
As the late Rick Nelson impeccably advised all of us in his 1972 hit single 'Garden Party', 'You see ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself'.

Words to live by if you ask me.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
We live in a free country and people have the freedom to be dumb. I really don't understand the value of enjoying the "luxury" when you are actually losing money. I majored in Economics, I guess, I think more like an investor but personally, I cannot justify logically any type of purchase that will bring negative return on investment.
With almost no exceptions, no car has a positive ROI. So the only question is how negative is tolerable.

If you are an economics guy as you say - then you understand that value drives decisions about money. At some point value is not worth the cost.

That point is different for people with different amounts of wealth and/or disposable income. I think many people spend too much money on cars, homes, devices made by Apple, women's purses, shoes, designer clothing, etc.

If someone likes cars and derives pleasure from driving, then how can you say it is wrong for me to buy a "premium" vehicle instead of something else?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:57 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:

I was reading about someone who decided to take a Mercedes GL 450 off road here in Iowa, after all it is a "sport utility-luxury vehicle", this piece of **** almost disintegrated on a muddy road, guess what, owner left broken down in the middle of nowhere, and these cars retail at 60 grand!, they had to call a guy with a 2001 Ford F-250 to pull this POS out of the mud.

My truck represents my values, simplicity, humility and hard work. Why should I drive something that draws attention to myself? I like to be like everybody else, and don't need validation from anybody because I am not better than anybody else.

Not to mention that pulling into a small town here in Iowa, driving a 7 series BMW would look absolutely stupid.

If you are as sensible as you say, then you would acknowledge that a 98 Ford Ranger is not noted as a particularly safe vehicle. Most models didn't have a passenger airbag. At best it has rear ABS. It has poor emergency handling. Is it smart to drive a vehicle with mediocre safety ratings?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:02 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
As the late Rick Nelson impeccably advised all of us in his 1972 hit single 'Garden Party', 'You see ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself'.

Words to live by if you ask me.
Damn.... that was a sad loss to music. That song is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living