Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:04 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I personally don't think they're worth it. However, IF you can truly afford it, then I see no problem with them. My definition of "afford" is: 1. Can pay cash. 2. Has ample retirement savings and is on track to meet retirement savings goals. 3. Will still have at least 6 months worth of cash for emergencies. 4. Can handle the additional insurance and other expenses.

In short, the majority of people buying these cars can't really afford them based on my definition.
Depends. I've said before, even if I had the cash to pay off my Jeep, I wouldn't have. I would never tie that much cash up into any asset other than a house, especially if I can borrow the money at a low interest rate when I'm getting a bigger return having the cash on hand. I have a 2.4 interest rate, debating whether its worth it to refinance into 1.9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 04:13 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
Luxury cars are a waste of money...I am planning to go in for the 2013 Nissan Altima for my next car, the V6 version. It comes with all the gizmos and luxuries found on high end cars and is $30k. For that price you even get the 10GB music jukebox that is on the Infiniti G37 which costs $20k more!!! You pay $10k or $20k extra for BMW and Lexus just for the name and perhaps 20-30hp more that makes no difference in your day to day use... no thanks! I just checked out the Nissan Maxima this weekend, and it was just as luxurious as any BMW or Porsche, I frankly could not find any difference in terms of comfort...this "difference" is all in the mind. In terms of performance the Maxima is like 1-2 seconds slower than a Porsche, seriously, is this a problem with day to day use? Think about it. Are you seriously going to pay tens of thousands in purchase price and cost of ownership for this marginal difference?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:40 PM

243 posts, read 547,452 times
How are you getting $20K more for the G37 with premium sound?

2012 Infiniti G37 Sedan Journey $36,400
Premium Package $2,350
Destination and Handling $895
Total $39,645

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR $25,570
Premium Package $2,130
Sport Package (Required for Premium) $2,370
Destination and Handling $780
Total $30,850

Difference is $8,795 which buys bigger wheels, RWD, 58HP, and a longer Basic/Powertrain warranty.

Value is a matter of opinion, but I don't see how a V6 Altima can be $20K less than the G37.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:33 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Luxury cars are a waste of money...I am planning to go in for the 2013 Nissan Altima for my next car, the V6 version. It comes with all the gizmos and luxuries found on high end cars and is $30k. For that price you even get the 10GB music jukebox that is on the Infiniti G37 which costs $20k more!!! You pay $10k or $20k extra for BMW and Lexus just for the name and perhaps 20-30hp more that makes no difference in your day to day use... no thanks! I just checked out the Nissan Maxima this weekend, and it was just as luxurious as any BMW or Porsche, I frankly could not find any difference in terms of comfort...this "difference" is all in the mind. In terms of performance the Maxima is like 1-2 seconds slower than a Porsche, seriously, is this a problem with day to day use? Think about it. Are you seriously going to pay tens of thousands in purchase price and cost of ownership for this marginal difference?
A Maxima isn't a performance car! You're comparing 0-60 times of two COMPLETELY different vehicles, don't be ignorant!

Drive a Porsche 911 and then drive a Nissan Maxima and let me know if you still think they're the same.

And a G37 is right around $40K and you DO get more/better features for that money including a higher quality of materials.

And a BMW 3 Series starts off at around $30K already fairly loaded unlike an Altima.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Drive a Porsche 911 and then drive a Nissan Maxima and let me know if you still think they're the same.
it will not make a difference when you are stuck in 10mph traffic commuting to work which is the majority of driving most people will do. Infact I bet the Maxima will be way more comfortable than the 911.

If you want performance or All wheel drive there are so many other choices which offer comfort and performance without the huge price tag - Subaru makes some pretty good vehicles in the $25-30k price range. Don't have to buy a $90,000 Porsche for that unless all you want to do is show off your wealth and status.

I'm not saying a Porsche is not the superior vehicle performance wise, what I am saying is that 99% of the people who buy a Porsche will never drive it anywhere CLOSE to it's potential and it cannot even be driven that way on the street. So unless you are taking it to the racetrack every month what is the purpose of owning such a vehicle? All it becomes is a super expensive piece of eye candy.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Throwing out wildly inaccurate numbers to make your argument look better does nothing but make you look bad.

I also find it funny you talk about why would you get a Porsche when it is only 1-2 seconds faster. How much faster do you think the V6 is than the 4?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
I have a Nissan Altima... and I can say that you are surely wrong. You get what you pay for. The Altima is nothing in comfort and amenities compared to, say, a benz (which I also have).

Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
A Maxima isn't a performance car! You're comparing 0-60 times of two COMPLETELY different vehicles, don't be ignorant!

And a G37 is right around $40K and you DO get more/better features for that money including a higher quality of materials.

And a BMW 3 Series starts off at around $30K already fairly loaded unlike an Altima.

+1.......not an Apples to Apples comparison

Old 04-17-2012, 07:26 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
it will not make a difference when you are stuck in 10mph traffic commuting to work which is the majority of driving most people will do. Infact I bet the Maxima will be way more comfortable than the 911.

If you want performance or All wheel drive there are so many other choices which offer comfort and performance without the huge price tag - Subaru makes some pretty good vehicles in the $25-30k price range. Don't have to buy a $90,000 Porsche for that unless all you want to do is show off your wealth and status.

I'm not saying a Porsche is not the superior vehicle performance wise, what I am saying is that 99% of the people who buy a Porsche will never drive it anywhere CLOSE to it's potential and it cannot even be driven that way on the street. So unless you are taking it to the racetrack every month what is the purpose of owning such a vehicle? All it becomes is a super expensive piece of eye candy.

The 911 has been in production for over 40 years now.....for good reason, it is an excellent car. A Maxima is nice transportation, many have been put into rental fleets. Take a look at resale values, some 1989 911's are now pulling their original MSRP as a 22 year old car.....not seeing that happen for any Maxima. I will say the new 911 (called the 991) is gotten very pricey (a Carrera S model I saw was 122K).

I don't like Japanese/Korean cars, never owned one but have driven many and they simply don't have any personality, good cars but boring to drive. I wouldn't buy one but there certainly isn't anything wrong with them. I did buy a 911 once, right off the showroom floor and it was a cool car....I will certainly own another.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:

A Subaru and a Porsche don't even COMPETE IN THE SAME LEAGUE!! Why are you offering such completely and utterly IGNORANT suggestions?!

"Well excuse me sir but I see you're eyeing that 911 GT3 but I'd like to direct your attention over here to this LOVELY Subaru Impreza which I think you'd find a great change from the timeless design, style, technology, performance, handling ability, and cost of the 911"

And USUALLY the Porsche owners I know don't have a Porsche for their ONLY vehicle. They usually have a vehicle such as an S550 or BMW to commute in while saving their Porsche for weekend fun.

The Maxima is a nice vehicle but it's not a performance or luxury vehicle in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living