Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
My main (everyday car ) car is an Alfa Romeo but for when i fancy that little bit extra i've got a '92 Aston Martin Vantage, now that's luxury.

Bought it 3 years ago after selling the old house as a luxury/investment. If you want to go for some luxury consider the classic approach would be my advice. I've already been offered 10% more than i payed for it.
Ok now I'm jealous. Aston Martins are amazing cars.

I'm with you. If you want a luxury car, don't buy a new one. I've owned a BMW, Porsche, Maserati, Cadillac, and Jaguar and never paid anything close to what most people pay for a new Honda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 PM

607 posts, read 978,344 times
You guys/gals are missing the point of a luxury car. They are not for everyday use. They cost a lot to insure. The repairs are expensive. Luxury cars are to enjoy for those with money to spend. Luxury cars are to take out for a nice drive once and a great while. Each luxury vehicle has their own purpose. A Rolls Royce is pure luxury slow driving. A lambo is for looks and ego.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You're all wet on this. Out of 7 non-luxury large cars, IIHS assigns the top rating across the board to 5 of them.
Yup. This isn't 20 years ago, there are many choices for non-luxury cars with outstanding safety ratings across the board.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
You're all wet on this. Out of 7 non-luxury large cars, IIHS assigns the top rating across the board to 5 of them. 1 has incomplete data, the other is an ancient model(Impala) soon to be replaced.

IIHS-HLDI: Large family cars - Current Models

So where's this big safety advantage on an S-class, etc.?
Is this a serious question? How many other cars are available with panic brake assist, lane departure warning system, driver fatigue warning system, infrared night vision system, blind-spot warning system, fully adaptive cruise control, fully adaptive headlights that not just steer around corners but simultaneously maximize illumination down the road while reducing glare for oncoming cars, and an imminent-collision prep system that pretensions the seat belts, repositions the seats to minimize injury, and closes the windows and sunroof?

OF course, all of this is on top of the "normal" features such as ABS/traction control/stability control/TPMS/a forest of airbags/etc. that people expect on more pedestrian cars these days. Those features became "expected" because cars like the S-Class featured them first and "wasteful" car buyers were willing to pay a premium for them and help manufacturers recover the substantial R&D costs. And don't underestimate the safety contribution of reduced driver fatigue in a car that is quiet, competent and comfortable. There's a hell of a lot more to driver safety than just crash safety ratings.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:51 PM

243 posts, read 547,603 times
"Worth it" depends a lot on income and competing priorities in life. Good wine and liquor are wasted on me, honestly can't appreciate the difference versus average brews. They all make my face red and I start babbling. I also don't own a home, and don't care about nice furniture. Yeah, my bookshelves were assembled using an Allen wrench.

I love technology though and enjoy the qualities of a luxury car. Here's what one automotive editor wrote about a car I've owned:

Review: 1992 Lexus SC400 | The Truth About Cars

Quote:
The SC400′s door hinges were an absolute engineering monstrosity, as over-engineered and built as those of any similar era—or earlier—Mercedes-Benz. Lexus built in quality trying to make this car eternally seamless and genre-compatible silent. The bushes and flanges that make up the SC400′s über-hinges are as thick as a brick. They’re triple-welded into a geometric design that can hold the SC’s door at any angle. No other car from that time period can do it. None.

Of course, many folks will think I’m nuts to mention the quality built into a simple component, one that most manufacturers simply glaze over. But this website has long argued that quality will out; time makes you appreciate the care and attention lavished on a methodically engineered and assembled vehicle. For reliability freaks, the SC400 has “it.â€
Yeah it's a freakin' door hinge, but Toyota extended that attention to detail to the smooth V8 engine, suspension, panels, seats, etc. My 1995 SC400 was just solidly put together, no odd gaps, squeaks, or glitches. Bought it used at 147K miles and it still ran well at 218K when I traded it. Drew from a similar parts bin as the Toyota MKIV Supra and wasn't really expensive to maintain.

Bought a used Infiniti G37 coupe with cash and though not as refined as the SC400, it's packed with technology and power. I like the styling, I like how it drives, and I won't pretend I bought it for safety, reliability or practicality. It's not about getting from point A to point B. I admire how Nissan got 330HP out of a naturally-aspirated 3.7L engine with the same gas mileage as the 250HP 4.0L in the SC400.

Insurance isn't expensive, repairs and maintenance expenses aren't too high on most Japanese brands. I'll indulge my inner tech nerd.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:

I think that i also now understand why you don't have a larger role here on C-D.
What does that mean?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What does that mean?
Because he couldn't defend his statements, he had to resort to insults and schoolyard bullying to boost his self confidence. Some people just lack the social skills to have a rationale disagreement without resorting to such tacky remarks. I guess it really tells you something about the person behind the comments.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Depends on what you consider luxe...I have a Grand Cherokee, and I've had people ask why I bought a luxury SUV...I don't consider it one though. I bought it for comfort, true AWD and safety. I don't care about gas at all and insurance is cheap. The Jeep wasn't all that cheap because I added options to the base model (Laredo), but I didn't buy a $45k+ Overland or a $60k+ SRT8 either.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Luxury cars are rarely "worth it." But, if owning one is within your means, I don't see any harm in having it. If your basic want out of a vehicle is to provide inexpensive transportation, then a luxury car provides you with little added benefit.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
I'm in a job where I'm paid by the hour.

It's been about 10 years since I was, but I like it.
(for a reason other than the unlimited overtime)

I see the direct correlation between $ and time.

I make just over $2k/week.

But I save this and live off my $1,500/month pension.
(the free housing helps)

I COULD buy a $40k car... But that would take 20 weeks of my life!
(other than higher insurance etc)

I have and will keep driving my $2,500, 1995 4 Runner... That took just over a week to earn!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living