Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:41 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
All of this cruelty just so we can eat a cholesterol-laden 6 grams of protein.

Half a cup of pinto beans have twice as much protein.
what can I say, I like eggs and I don't like to pay a lot for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 01:51 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what can I say, I like eggs and I don't like to pay a lot for them.
I understand. I used to buy the cheapest eggs possible. I LOVE eggs, so much that I'll pay 30-40 cents per egg for pasture-raised. It's worth it if you don't want to support torture. The eggs do taste better, too.

But, If I needed to keep my grocery budget down to $35/week I probably just wouldn't buy eggs very often.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:06 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTBabyGirl View Post
I don't like eating crap, and I would like to be able to afford vegetables and fruits while still keeping my bill under $35/week. Is this possible?

I cook everything from scratch, and prefer never to buy packaged foods!

Here's my very very cheap list, so far:

-beans $2.00/lb.
-rice $1.54/lb.
-potatoes $5.00/ 5 lb.
-citrus $1.00/lb.

I don't know how much of this to buy, and am limited in what I can eat due to allergies. i.e. no pastas, breads, etc.

What other tips do you have? Any sneaky ways to save money in the grocery stores, without arguing over vegan vs. non-vegan options? Thank you.
I have one word for you: HUMMUS

it's so cheap and easy to make at home and OH so satisfying.

tahini (which is a paste made from ground sesame seeds) is a little expensive,
but you only need a few tablespoons to make hummus--with a can of chickpeas, lemon juice, a clove of garlic, and salt.
or you could use olive oil instead of tahini. it's much better with tahini, tho.
i even made it with just lemon juice, garlic, and salt before. the zero-fat version.

a can of chickpeas is about 75 cents,
or you could cook your own (they have to soak overnight).

Last edited by AguaDulce; 02-28-2014 at 02:30 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 03:40 AM

251 posts, read 341,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
ANDI score is a nutrient/calorie grading system. So, basically you don't want to rely upon it that much. The foods at the top of the list are all going to be very good for you but pack almost no calories. For example, if you wanted to get 1,200 calories a day from Swiss Chard, you'd need to gnosh through 14 pounds of the stuff. You can't do that on $5/day. Lentils on the other hand are calorie dense, roughly 7x as dense. So a pound of lentils has roughly 2/3 the nutrient value as a pound of swiss chard, has 7x the calories, and costs about a third as much. They're actually very nutrient loaded but have a relatively low ANDI score since they're so calorie dense.

On the other hand, it's great for other things. Like sweet potatoes or regular potatoes. Both are calorie dense, but sweet potatoes have way more nutrient value.

anyone interested in cheap, highly nutritious food should look into organ meat. Liver in particular is perhaps the most nutritious thing you can eat, nature's multi-vitamin. To top it all it is dirt cheap, much cheaper than muscle meat.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:24 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
When wanting to spend $35/wk on groceries, that can be done; however, how are you figuring in the rest of the items you'll need?

- Laundry/cleaning products
- Paper products (napkins/paper towels/kleenex/toilet paper/trash bags, etc.)
- HBA (health, beauty aids)

List can go on and on, and when you consider these items, keeping your 'food' bill at $35/wk is next to impossible.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:17 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
When wanting to spend $35/wk on groceries, that can be done; however, how are you figuring in the rest of the items you'll need?

- Laundry/cleaning products
- Paper products (napkins/paper towels/kleenex/toilet paper/trash bags, etc.)
- HBA (health, beauty aids)

List can go on and on, and when you consider these items, keeping your 'food' bill at $35/wk is next to impossible.
If things are that tight, consider the following

Laundry: a must, no way around that, but you could check out the possibility of making your own IF it is cost-effective; replace fabric softener with 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar in your rinse water (buy it by the gallon at Target/Walmart); hang your synthetic clothes to dry rather than putting them in the dryer to reduce static.

Cleaning: vinegar, baking soda, & dish soap are pretty much all that's necessary to do basic daily cleaning.

Paper: toilet paper is a must (use coupons, look for sales); replace paper towels with rags; use toilet paper to blow your nose; replace your paper napkin with a kitchen towel you already own.

Garbage bags: re-use plastic grocery sacks rather than buying trash bags, otherwise put it directly in the can; set aside empty non-recyclable chip bags or liner bags from packaged foods (like cereal boxes) to contain small amounts of messy garbage.

Health & beauty: stick with the absolute basics, shampoo and soap.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:20 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
If things are that tight, consider the following

Laundry: a must, no way around that, but you could check out the possibility of making your own IF it is cost-effective; replace fabric softener with 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar in your rinse water (buy it by the gallon at Target/Walmart); hang your synthetic clothes to dry rather than putting them in the dryer to reduce static.

Cleaning: vinegar, baking soda, & dish soap are pretty much all that's necessary to do basic daily cleaning.

Paper: toilet paper is a must (use coupons, look for sales); replace paper towels with rags; use toilet paper to blow your nose; replace your paper napkin with a kitchen towel you already own.

Garbage bags: re-use plastic grocery sacks rather than buying trash bags, otherwise put it directly in the can; set aside empty non-recyclable chip bags or liner bags from packaged foods (like cereal boxes) to contain small amounts of messy garbage.

Health & beauty: stick with the absolute basics, shampoo and soap.
Just remember to include these costs in your weekly grocery budget.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:08 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Just remember to include these costs in your weekly grocery budget.
It depends on how you've defined your budget categories. My grocery budget does not include household cleaners, toilet paper, laundry soap/detergent, or health & beauty products. Although others may include these items, the OP specifically asked about food, so that's how I originally approached her question.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:14 PM

659 posts, read 1,172,822 times
I would buy lentils over potatoes
grow my own herbs (easily done inside or out)
enjoy lots of kale

Old 03-03-2014, 03:24 PM

108 posts, read 126,105 times
Ewwwww! Tuna under a dollar is tuna mush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living