Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I use a Bic Metal razor for 4-6 weeks. The product does an excellent job at about 50 cents each. It is NOT widely distributed BUT I have about 200 of them in storage and will not run out.
6 weeks times 200 divided by 52 weeks = 23 years. Yes that's a lot of razors, but unless your only planning to live another 23 years, you Will run out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:52 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,587 times
Forever. I'm in a long distance relationship, so my boyfriend sees my legs maybe once a month. I also wear pants/suit to work every day, so even better. If people judge me at the gym they are losers.

So basically when I wear a swimsuit, or on the weekends if I wear shots

Old 07-06-2012, 06:58 AM

929 posts, read 2,092,287 times
Gillette Fusion blade lasts about a year. Steam really helps out and i just use regular soap instead of shaving creme. The key is to dry the blade well after each use.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Forever. I'm in a long distance relationship, so my boyfriend sees my legs maybe once a month. I also wear pants/suit to work every day, so even better. If people judge me at the gym they are losers.

So basically when I wear a swimsuit, or on the weekends if I wear shots
I can't do that. I'm not in a relationship, so I dont shave for anyone but myself. It's done every 3 days MAX. I can't stand the teeniest bit of stubble! I also wear a lot of dresses, especially in the summer.

My cheap-o disposible razors still last forever.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 AM

23 posts, read 63,318 times
If you want your razors to last a long time, there are a few simple steps to take that cost virtually nothing. I was taught that prior to your morning shave, lay down a dry washcloth and run your razor over it (blades down) a few times in the opposite way you shave.

--------------[b]
--------------[L]
[00HANDLE00][A] Lightly press and push ---->
--------------[D]
--------------[E]

Beyond that, rinse your blades after every pass or two on your face and when finished, let air-dry for ten minutes or so and then pour some rubbing alcohol on the blades. It'll clean the blades and really dry the blades out. I've had the same Mach 3 blades going on 9 or 10 months now and they feel as fresh as ever.

I learned long ago that all of those blades are the same -- the only difference is the price you pay (and if you want to get real techical, the reason why those straight edge razors and safety blades give the best shave is because they have the fewest blades! Less is more for a great shave!)

Old 07-06-2012, 10:04 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,257 times
I use double edged safety blades and change them out around the 1st of every month. They could last longer if I needed them to (probably two more weeks). I need to shave daily but I skip some days.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:27 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I did do a search for this topic and was a little surprised no one asked about this before. How long do you use your razor blades? I used the razor that has 4 blades on the razor head to shave my face and tend to use them at least a month, if not several months before replacing them. I figure so long as the razor isn't damaged, they are fine. I do have to use more pressure to get the same results, but overall I'm satisfied with the results. When I do break down and replace my razor blade, I have to be very careful not to cut myself with the new sharp blades. How long do you use your razors for?
Hi TechGromit--

I'm surprised not to see more dollar-store special 10-packs of disposable razors here. Because that's what I use, and it keeps my head and face pretty clean-cut. I go through them about once every month or so - either they get too dull or the humidity gets to them and they begin rusting (they live in the shower caddy). But it's like, a 10 pack for a dollar. So I get almost a year's worth of shavings for a dollar.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:49 AM

274 posts, read 518,613 times
I use a $10 electric razor with rechargable batteries. I can go 1-2 years before it breaks or the shaving head wears out.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:36 AM

466 posts, read 815,706 times
I have a Venus Embrace and I change the blade about every four to five weeks. I can tell it's time to change when my leg stubble comes back faster. Definitely more of an issue in the summer for me than the winter.

I use the Venus because it causes me less irritation and is just more comfortable -probably the more flexible head. Last summer, I went to visit my parents and forgot my razor. I picked up the Venus disposibles, so not even the cheapy disposables, and I noticed the different right away. Slight razor burn and I somehow managed to cut myself, which I haven't done in years.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I use a disposable Shick Xtreme 3 razor (best disposable razor i've ever used) and I give myself 3 shaves (head and face) before discarding. A pack of 8 cost me around $12.
I use to use the more expensive baldes then tried this at a friends and haven't gone back since. just as good as my fusion and cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living