Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 06:07 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Our 'new' one is a 48" Hitachi that must be at least 12 years old.
The "old" in the bedroom that it replaced has to be about 20 years old.
Got a 42" flat screen LG this past year for our other house and I suppose the picture is better but not enough to make us even think about replacing the Hitachi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM

393 posts, read 1,202,776 times
I have 2 flats and a CRT. The CRT is only about 8 years old. I bought it because it has a built in VCR and DVD player. The 2 flats are connected to VCRs, too. Yep, I'm frugal!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
We have one tube TV...an older JVC 27" that the previous homeowners left in our basement. We are going to be replacing it with a new plasma set next week. Looking forward to it.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:46 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Forgot about this when I posted before.

My 91 year old Mom's console TV died a few years back. She didn't want a TV on the wall. She didn't want a TV on a new stand. She liked the old console itself and didn't want to get rid of it.

My nephew took measurements, went out and got her a flatscreen, took the guts out of the old TV and fit the new screen inside.

Instant happy Mom

Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
I had a 27 inch Million Pounder until lightening hit and destroyed it (not on a surge supressor).

It was then that I bought strip protection and a new 32 inch flat, and this was in 2007, so it's still going.

Now that TV prices have dropped significantly, I should be able to get a better deal when this one poops out..

Old 07-04-2012, 11:48 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Like-size tube TVs cost about $25 more a year to operate than LCD. I'm guessing though people who stick with tube TVs don't have anything larger than say 27in while the logical LCD upgrade would be to 32in. And I also assume people who still use tube TVs watch less TV than average. So I am sure the impact isn't as much, but with 32in flat screens available for $250 now you could earn back the difference in a decade and enjoy a better picture.
How can you get your money back in a decade when the new ones don't even last that long?

Old 07-04-2012, 02:47 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
... I was shopping for a flat screen replacement and the sales guy did tell me that the new TV's only last 4-7 years.
Ouch.

We have a CRT tube TV. We spent the cash and did the HUGE aerial on the roof, signal amplifier, and converter box. But nothing. Some others in our township shifted to satellite dish programming; others have simply stopped watching.

Our TV is still hooked up to a VHS and DVD player, we have multiple boxes of tapes and DVDs. I bet it has not been turned on for over a year.

The last time that our PCs died, they died together. We bought two laptops. The screens are tiny, and the keyboards are way too small. So I plugged in our old LARGE monitors, keyboards, trackballs and speakers. So we use laptops, but only really as motherboards, since we still use the big monitors / keyboards / trackballs and speakers.

Any media we watch is mostly Netflix or Hulu. Sometimes one of the networks [ABC, CBS, etc] hosts a show and does not share it with Netflix or Hulu, so we may go directly to the network.

My monitor now is 16".

A friend suggested that we dump the monitors and get flat screens for our laptops. But historically our monitors have always lived longer than our PCs, the end result is that we have a collection of monitors. When this one dies, I have four more to go through, before I need to buy a replacement monitor.

To answer the OP, 'No' we have no flat screen TV.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,321 times
We have 6 tv's and none of them are flat screen.

My bf thinks I'm old fashioned but they still work so hey.....

One tv I have/had for about 20 yrs.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:14 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I have one of each and the picture on the CRT TV is much better.

Are you aware that unless you pay extra to subscribe to high def TV from your cable or satellite company you do not get a clear picture on a flat-screen no matter how much you pay for it? The view on the flat screen is darker overall, the colors are not crisp, and it's a bit fuzzy as if it needs to be adjusted. Flat screens were made to operate on HD. Calculate how much more you'll have to pay monthly to subscribe to HD and tell your hub that needs to be added to the cost of the flat screen before you have the true picture of what a flat screen costs.

Don't get me wrong, if you're willing to pay for a high def subscription, then the flat screen has it all over the old TV. But you can't cheap out like I am doing right now and expect to get the same picture as someone who has both the set and the signal.
this must be why my friend's expensive flat screen tv looked so crappy. I thought my old TV had a much better image.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:04 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
Default $3500 lesson

in 2004 we needed a tv for the loft in our new home.We purchased a 36" Sharp tube tv that they were phasing out because at the time, thats all we could afford ($400). Now that is our favorite tv because we know it's going to be around the longest.

Downstairs in our greatroom, we used to leave our flat screen on for our dog when we left for work not knowing that those TV's had a lifespan. Anyways we had to replace it during the time Samsung LEDs were at the top price wise. Now she listens to the radio.

Don't knock those tube TV's, I predict there will be a market for them for people who live frugal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living