Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:18 PM

607 posts, read 1,401,876 times

Advertisements

I like to visit my home town and visit the places I remember from childhood to see how they have changed, or not. My kids get a kick out of seeing my old stomping grounds.

Last edited by Kimmie; 03-15-2013 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 11:30 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Google Earth and Streetview are awesome! Bing's similar service isn't bad either and sometimes includes areas Google doesn't (or vice versa). Some interesting places to check out are the towns along the US-Mexico border. I once read an article about an interesting way in which drugs were being smuggled into the US. In the border towns of Nogales, Arizona and Nogales, Sonora there's parking along both sides of the international fence/wall and drugs were being taken through a short tunnel and into a van with a cutout on the bottom of it. It was interesting to be able to check that area out on Google Streetview!

Here's are a couple of pictures that show what I'm talking about:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...at_Nogales.jpg

http://cdn.calisphere.org/affiliates...es/B/B3530.jpg

Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
It is really amazing how you can see real places . I checked out cape town south africa and was shocked to see all of the homes protected with high walls and fences...It is really scary.My wife was born in Germany and we checked out the current street picture of the address where she was born......cool stuff

Old 04-07-2013, 05:44 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
More than likely within the next 3-5 years my partner and I will sell our home in New Mexico and move to someplace we'd consider retiring in. So I often use Google Earth to check out topography, distances, etc. Favorite part is to fly like a low airplane along highways to get a real feel for a place.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:27 AM

248 posts, read 340,734 times
I like to go to Google maps, take that little yellow guy and plunk him down in a town and just meander around; there's a lot you can tell about a place from that random view; weather, traffic, how many storefronts are vacant or is business booming, etc.

Since I can't afford to really travel, and I don't like all the bother anyways; the airports, hours on planes, bother figuring out where you're going, hotel costs, (not sleeping cuz you're in a hotel!), ending up sick because you're exposed to so many other people; yeesh. Easier to stay home and visit by proxy.

Worst blonde moment: Looking at the pyramids from up top and being surprised they were square! I guess I expected them to be triangular shaped all around

Old 04-10-2013, 07:48 AM

917 posts, read 2,004,559 times
I actually never knew you could do this. But I shouldn't be surprised in this day and age. Gonna check it out. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2013, 05:54 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
My husband was reared in England. All the family had moved away from the old neighborhood and he had not been back for a visit. He found his old home and school on google maps. It's a wonderful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living