Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times

Advertisements

I've always considered frugal to mean best (life cycle cost) value, not simply what's cheapest (purchase price). The cheapest is sometime best for perishable/disposable items, but IME it rarely is with durable items.

To that, we have to consider our own special interests. I watched two members fight over buying an expensive stereo. One a music lover, had an expensive stereo and music library and insisted it was worth it. The other was happy with an iPod, dock and his mp3s. Sadly they went round and round unnecessarily, they were both right - for themselves. As long as you don't think stuff buys happiness, some extravagances are worth it.

And finally, alwaysnask yourself if it's a need or a want before you spend, and try to resist too many wants. I've found things in my closet that I haven't used in 20 years, and ask myself 'what was I thinking when I bought this?' Live and learn...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 08:06 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
buy a top quality suit for $1,000 and it will last for 30 years without going out of style.
Yes, but will he be able to fit INTO IT for 30 years?

Whether something goes out of style, or a person's size changes. The person is still buying new clothes.
And I think that's most people.

I do NOT think most people for whatever reason can/do wear the same clothes for 30 years.
A well-made item will last longer, but I don't think that's necessarily a major correlation at all to why most people do or don't buy new clothes.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

Hitting the middle ground is usually where the best value is. I'm sure a $5000 Kiton suit is going to last a bit longer than the crap you can pickup at Mens' Warehouse for $200. It might even last 25 times as long, provided you don't get tired of the suit, the moths don't eat it, it doesn't get ripped or stained, or you don't get fat. But that likely depends on wear. I still have the $300 suit I bought when I was a junior in college. Expecting the Kiton to last 150 years seems... excessive. To mention nothing of present value.
I agree with this. You have to factor in everything. If I am not thinking too hard about a purchase, I tend to favor the middle model. Too expensive, and it has extras that can break or that I don't need. Too cheap and whatever it is might not last very long or give good service. However there are exceptions to everything.

We bought very fine furniture in 1970. We were able to get good deals, but still the stuff was pricey. The living room furniture was ditched when the new house we moved into had trouble accommodating the end tables and long sofa--about 18 or so years after purchase. The bedroom set lasted over 40 years, but I was so tired of it! So, the purchase might have been for a lifetime, but circumstances and tastes changed.

I still look for quality in major purchases though. I hate buying junk. I've even become, in my old age, picky about jewelry. I simply don't want to wear cheap.

For me frugality is about value and restraint. I don't have to have my every desire. And I don't want to spend money on junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living