Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:59 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
I've owned houses with rooms full of content for literally 30 years...and believe me ... I'm right.

I quantified MY belief...how about you!?
Sure, although I thought I already had.(I was on my phone earlier, therefore it was a short response)

you said:
Quote:
I believe "a few thousand per room" is WAY more than the value in each room on average,
Quite simply (Particularly if your receiving RCV rather than ACV) people drastically underestimate the amount of 'stuff' they have. (And the way the little things add up)

I can't count the number of times (And I haven't been doing this that long) that people said 'I don't think that much stuff was damaged, I' doubt I'll ever meet my deductible' and I proceed to point out a few items in a room and they meet, or nearly meet their deductible off JUST THAT!

So YES... count that stack of T shirts over in the corner. 20 T shirts at $10 each... your 20% of the way to your $1K deductible.... etc.

I just pulled open one of my test profiles on Xactimate... and looked up bookshelves.
Library book shelves - full height - $186.96
so 4 of them is $747.84

The other items are contents and so we work off actual numbers, but I assure you, they add up quickly... and you said on average... I ASSURE YOU... throw in an entertainment center, a garage, and a kitchen... and you'll find that average climbing VERY rapidly....
Your music stuff is going to RCV at a couple grand... and I don't know about your furniture, but the average room has well over $1K... well over

If you get ACV (Actual cash value) because your insured under 80%, or it's a secondary home... then yes, that 10 year old fridge and the other beat up stuff might not amount to much.
But if you get replacement cash value... it'll be the cost of replacing everything with new.... And it'll be universally higher than you think.
You may have owned stuff... but I've processed claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living