Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:37 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,532,036 times

Advertisements

The only reasonable place I know is Supercuts and they charge over $15 here. Is it the same countrywide?

I've always avoided getting my hair cut. I go maybe four times a year. There are "barbers" but they are rare and I'm scared to go an unfamiliar one. Is it true that "barber shops" are rarer all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 12:46 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
For mens cuts at least I always think of chain places like Supercuts as being subpar and overpriced. The only benefit is that they always have openings for a walk-in. Traditional barbershops are definitely cheaper (here it's $10-$13 for a barber, and $15-$20 for a chain, plus tip). I wouldn't be surprised if independent barber shops are becoming rarer these days. It's not a flashy profession that people want to go into, and it's becoming harder to start a business and compete with the national chains these days.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:52 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,598 times
I go to Asian establishments all over town where I live, they charge $7 for haircut for men and I usually tip them $5-7 depending if I like it or not. I actually like their cutting a lot better than Supercuts. I get my hair cut once or twice a year.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:55 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Supercuts. Find a good hair stylist (they DO exist within) and buy their pre-paid deal that comes out every November. Brings a $14 haircut down to $10, add $2 tip, out for $12. It works.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:41 PM

355 posts, read 913,572 times
As far as trying someone new- What are you afraid of? It's hair, it grows back. Look to Yelp for reviews or ask people you meet (if you like their hair) where they go.

My husband is a master barber and get $25 for a cut. However he takes his time, gives a good shampoo massage, hot towel and hot shave around the neckline. He also went to school for a year and spent good money on his training.

If you go to a cheap place, they are counting on volume and will rush you out the door. You do get what you pay for sometimes. Personally, I feel any "hands on" service industry professional is worth about $1 per minute for a service.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:05 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
The only reasonable place I know is Supercuts and they charge over $15 here. Is it the same countrywide?

I've always avoided getting my hair cut. I go maybe four times a year. There are "barbers" but they are rare and I'm scared to go an unfamiliar one. Is it true that "barber shops" are rarer all the time?
$15 is about average for a chain place like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
For mens cuts at least I always think of chain places like Supercuts as being subpar and overpriced. The only benefit is that they always have openings for a walk-in. Traditional barbershops are definitely cheaper (here it's $10-$13 for a barber, and $15-$20 for a chain, plus tip). I wouldn't be surprised if independent barber shops are becoming rarer these days. It's not a flashy profession that people want to go into, and it's becoming harder to start a business and compete with the national chains these days.
I prefer independent places to chains. I never got a good haircut from a chain.

There was an independent place, kinda a Chicago chain with 2 locations, that charged $5 for a men's haircut. I usually got my haircuts there and I'd say overall, I get haircuts about roughly ~ 3 times a year. I definitely should go more often though, as I sometimes tend to trim around my ears and sideburns myself between haircuts. What I liked about them was they are in a diverse location with clients mixed between European, Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern...among others.

When I moved to TN, I ended up going to Sports clips because I went there a few times before. After 2 bad cuts, I stopped going and after some searching, found a real good independent place. They charge ~15 I think, but it's worth it for a good haircut. If I could find a cheaper one, I could. But that's easier done in Chicago than here in TN.

I prefer places that have barbers who are diverse/or have diverse clients. Just a personal preference, based on the hairstyle I keep.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:17 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
I am going to invest in $20 clippers and start shaving my hair down to about 1/8". Other than shaping up the back and sides and shaving my neck, this is basically what my barber does. Doing it myself will allow me to keep my hair rather neat because I can cut it every week if I want or let it grow out for a month so I can style it a little.

I like how my barber cuts my hair, but paying $15 every few months (every 3 or 4 weeks for some folks) adds up over the years. Plus, I have to drive there and wait in line...it becomes a 2 hour deal.

I remember as a kid in the 90s, this older barber than cut my hair only charged $6. My dad still goes to a older barber shop that only charges $7. It seems like the younger barbers want at least $15, but maybe that's what they need if cutting hair is their only source of income.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:59 PM

304 posts, read 1,019,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I am going to invest in $20 clippers and start shaving my hair down to about 1/8". Other than shaping up the back and sides and shaving my neck, this is basically what my barber does. Doing it myself will allow me to keep my hair rather neat because I can cut it every week if I want or let it grow out for a month so I can style it a little.

I like how my barber cuts my hair, but paying $15 every few months (every 3 or 4 weeks for some folks) adds up over the years. Plus, I have to drive there and wait in line...it becomes a 2 hour deal.

I remember as a kid in the 90s, this older barber than cut my hair only charged $6. My dad still goes to a older barber shop that only charges $7. It seems like the younger barbers want at least $15, but maybe that's what they need if cutting hair is their only source of income.
Get the clippers!

I used to pay ~$23 for a pretty simple buzz cut including tip every 4 weeks (I like my hair consistently short and hate when I start getting the back of the neck scruff).

This past fall, my wife asked if she could try cutting my hair because she always wanted to, didn't think it was all that hard and wondered why I paid so much...I said what the hey and handed her the clippers and guided her from what I saw at the barbershop: #2 on the sides, then a #3 getting closer to the top of my head and finally a #4 on the very top. I used scissors myself to trim the front (I spike that straight up with pomade).

Whole ordeal took all of 5 minutes and looks just as good if not better than the barber that's cut my hair for 10 years! If you have a relatively simple cut like mine, pretty much anyone can cut your hair...just be sure to oil the blades every few haircuts so they cut sharply and smoothly.

Now I'm saving close to $300 a year and best part is I can get a trim whenever I want!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Women love to cut hair. Find one willing to do it for nothing, she will make you look attractive to women like her, not to some stodgy barber parting your hair in the middle.. I haven't paid for a haircut in fifty years. No strings attached, no relationship necessary nor implied, I've had complete strangers cut my hair and happy to do it.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:12 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
There are "barbers" but they are rare and I'm scared to go an unfamiliar one.
Why are you scared?
Hair does grow back....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living