U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-07-2014, 12:48 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,701 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Reputation: 27747

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Where do you bathe? What do you do when you have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night?
Most shop around for a cheap gym membership for showers. Middle of the night toilet usually means a five gallon bucket toilet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=5+ga...toilet&spell=1
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2014, 12:53 AM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,513,951 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Most shop around for a cheap gym membership for showers. Middle of the night toilet usually means a five gallon bucket toilet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=5+ga...toilet&spell=1
Google "Cat hole" it's free, easy and gets the job done. Truck stops and your local YMCA are great for showers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 AM
 
1,168 posts, read 1,827,500 times
Reputation: 1074
We bought a conversion van (shaggin' wagon, for children of the 70s) and spent a month driving from Pa to Yellowstone and back with the kids. One of the best trips ever, and it was way cheaper than lodging and eating out. Generally speaking vans up to Class B (Roadtreks and the like) can stay in tent camp sites at campgrounds. Class Cs (think the Shasta campers, etc) cannot.

The van had nothing done to the interior except a TV/VCR combo (this was 2000, so no DVD) and a pullout back seat that converted to a double bed. That was good enough for us - kids tented it and I got my comfy bed and no bugs We had a little propane stove for cooking, and a big ol' cooler that we filled up daily in a trip to the grocery store, and that was it.

We paid $6K for the van, used (it was just a Chevy G20), and got four more years of use out of it -- hubby even hurtled it to the hospital while I was in labor -- before selling it; can't remember for how much. Totally worth doing.

One advantage that wasn't readily apparent - those big windows in back have screens, and the cross-ventilation was amazing. We toured with our dog and could leave her in it while we all got out in the height of summer to gawk at something for a half-hour and the van did not heat up like an oven, as any car would.

So, as far as vans for touring goes, it's something I'd do again in a heartbeat. The bummer is that there are almost no rental companies that offer this option, and those that do are about as prohibitively expensive as the RV rental companies. The cheapest way to do it is buy used and resell when you're done.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2014, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,701 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Reputation: 27747
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Google "Cat hole" it's free, easy and gets the job done. Truck stops and your local YMCA are great for showers.
I think it depends upon how cold it is outside and where you're parked.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 AM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,513,951 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I think it depends upon how cold it is outside and where you're parked.
True, and HOW much you're willing to rough it!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2014, 10:07 AM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,513,951 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
We bought a conversion van (shaggin' wagon, for children of the 70s) and spent a month driving from Pa to Yellowstone and back with the kids. One of the best trips ever, and it was way cheaper than lodging and eating out. Generally speaking vans up to Class B (Roadtreks and the like) can stay in tent camp sites at campgrounds. Class Cs (think the Shasta campers, etc) cannot.

The van had nothing done to the interior except a TV/VCR combo (this was 2000, so no DVD) and a pullout back seat that converted to a double bed. That was good enough for us - kids tented it and I got my comfy bed and no bugs We had a little propane stove for cooking, and a big ol' cooler that we filled up daily in a trip to the grocery store, and that was it.

We paid $6K for the van, used (it was just a Chevy G20), and got four more years of use out of it -- hubby even hurtled it to the hospital while I was in labor -- before selling it; can't remember for how much. Totally worth doing.

One advantage that wasn't readily apparent - those big windows in back have screens, and the cross-ventilation was amazing. We toured with our dog and could leave her in it while we all got out in the height of summer to gawk at something for a half-hour and the van did not heat up like an oven, as any car would.

So, as far as vans for touring goes, it's something I'd do again in a heartbeat. The bummer is that there are almost no rental companies that offer this option, and those that do are about as prohibitively expensive as the RV rental companies. The cheapest way to do it is buy used and resell when you're done.
Great story! I miss my Ford E350 conv van too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2014, 10:09 AM
 
11,355 posts, read 6,418,421 times
Reputation: 6092
I'm thinking one could sign up for Planet Fitness/YMCA for a month or two and shower/kill some time there. Between the two, there are ~3400 locations across the country.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2014, 04:10 PM
 
5,470 posts, read 8,160,530 times
Reputation: 7284
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Where do you bathe? What do you do when you have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night?
I walk to my bathroom and sit or shower as needed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 09:17 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 16,980,066 times
Reputation: 8981
This is actually a pretty amazing lifestyle... if you get rid of your cell phone all you have to pay for is gas, car insurance and food... correct?

Gas will be pretty spendy especially in a van or rv... car insurance can be really cheap if you insure the car in a state like South Dakota or North Carolina.

Food... you could find a way to secure some pots and other containers by windows and grow some veggies.
plus rice, beans, ramen and bread are all pretty cheap.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 09:24 AM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,513,951 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
This is actually a pretty amazing lifestyle... if you get rid of your cell phone all you have to pay for is gas, car insurance and food... correct?

Gas will be pretty spendy especially in a van or rv... car insurance can be really cheap if you insure the car in a state like South Dakota or North Carolina.

Food... you could find a way to secure some pots and other containers by windows and grow some veggies.
plus rice, beans, ramen and bread are all pretty cheap.
Yeah and a spot under the bridge too?? Seriouly, when you GO on the road in a van for whatever your reasons might be, You make your own peace and happiness and anything it takes to stay sane. The van; a Darker colored 3 quarter ton van with a ladder rack and NO windows. There's a million contractor vans on the road and cops don't give them a second look. GET a prepaid phone (no bill) GET a 12v inverter WITH a 1000amp marine battery. GET a 12v frig to keep road food cold. GET a 12v TV to keep up with news or current events. GET some GOOD camping gear. Use a battery razor (no water) TOOLS to maintain your van on the road. Minimize everything, all your papers, credentials except license and insurance and registration should be on flash drives. Use a online mail service. Air mattress and a sleeping bag and you'll sleep like a baby. NOW you're ready.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top