Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:52 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
But, that doesn't do away with the high insurance premiums.
Sure it does. If you reduce the demand/need for all these treatments, which is what healthy lifestyles do, then you automatically reduce premiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
So, I don't see how the high cost of healthcare is "largely solvable" in our case. It's the one cost, I feel like we have no control over. It just seems obscene to me that this one expense is equal to and frequently exceeds all of our other expenses combined.
You can't think of it just in terms of "your case". We, as a society, have to find ways to move away from the standard unhealthy lifestyle we have. Insurance coverage that has hidden the true cost of our unhealthy lifestyles for the last 60 years is part of the problem.

Yes, I get that any one individual can't fix the whole thing by themselves. But the bottom line is the major ways to bring down healthcare costs are already known. The hard part is changing attitudes & behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 09:58 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Sure it does. If you reduce the demand/need for all these treatments, which is what healthy lifestyles do, then you automatically reduce premiums.

You can't think of it just in terms of "your case". We, as a society, have to find ways to move away from the standard unhealthy lifestyle we have. Insurance coverage that has hidden the true cost of our unhealthy lifestyles for the last 60 years is part of the problem.

Yes, I get that any one individual can't fix the whole thing by themselves. But the bottom line is the major ways to bring down healthcare costs are already known. The hard part is changing attitudes & behavior.

Mysticaltyger. Though no one will disagree that a good diet and exercise will help maintain better health (in most cases) I am afraid that is not the number one cause of our over the top health care costs here in the Us.
Since I don't want to have to post a post so long that no one will even read it, I suggest you and others read a few books that explain all the reasons that our health care costs are so expensive in our country, and see how other countries deliver far superior and more extensive health care for nearly half of the cost.

I will give you a brief answer. In the Us, we have an unregulated, for fee, profit based health care system.(with the exception of Medicare) This includes all aspects of health care including our non-negotiated drug prices as well.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:50 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
No healthcare, dental, vision costs? Where do you get to pay rent with a credit card? While it doesn't seem impossible it does seem unrealistic

I'd also add living "well" would vary greatly. If I ate out of a crock pot most of the year I wouldn't be very happy.
I wonder if anyone has ever thought about INCREASING their earnings instead of trying to live a life of lack and poverty.

A guy making a million a year can live well on 20% of his income. Beats the hell out of crock pot meals.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:47 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,998,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I wonder if anyone has ever thought about INCREASING their earnings instead of trying to live a life of lack and poverty.

A guy making a million a year can live well on 20% of his income. Beats the hell out of crock pot meals.
I had no idea it was that simple. Let me run out right now and grab one of those million-dollar-a-year jobs.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:49 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I had no idea it was that simple. Let me run out right now and grab one of those million-dollar-a-year jobs.

I don't recall saying it was simple.

I just gave another perspective.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:38 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:

Yes, the pee ons have thought of that.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
I don't recall saying it was simple.

I just gave another perspective.
A huge problem in this country is millions have lost the good paying jobs and can only find one paying $20,000 a year. Maybe better to find the financial genius to live on that than look in vain for a job that pays as well as the last one.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:53 PM

409 posts, read 484,431 times
Quote:

For many who live frugally, it's a lifestyle choice. The goal is to live simply.

Some people like crock pot meals, prefer a small house, like to have few possessions and drive old vehicles, ride bicycles, or use public transportation by choice.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:01 AM

929 posts, read 2,092,046 times
Default The dwindling good paying jobs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
A huge problem in this country is millions have lost the good paying jobs and can only find one paying $20,000 a year. Maybe better to find the financial genius to live on that than look in vain for a job that pays as well as the last one.
So true. Controlling the spending is key, no matter what your income, it just becomes more critical with smaller incomes which are becoming the new normal. The good news is that it doesn't really require a financial genius, just requires someone with common sense, ingenuity, organization and self control. Maybe if the management of companies would learn this lesson, there would be more good paying jobs.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:39 AM

409 posts, read 484,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
So true. Controlling the spending is key, no matter what your income, it just becomes more critical with smaller incomes which are becoming the new normal. The good news is that it doesn't really require a financial genius, just requires someone with common sense, ingenuity, organization and self control. Maybe if the management of companies would learn this lesson, there would be more good paying jobs.
Exactly...Controlling spending is key and it doesn't require any special skills. At 18, when I first managed my own money and didn't have a checking account, I used the envelope method. It was simple and it worked. Cash your paycheck and put the rent, utilities, food, etc. money in their envelopes and stuck to spending only what is in each envelope for each category. If an inexperienced 18 year old can manage her money, then anyone can who possesses the four things you mentioned: common sense, ingenuity, organization and self control. Now, instead of envelopes I think most people use financial software programs and keep their money in a safer place, but I kind of miss the simplicity of the envelope method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living