Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 01:33 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times

Advertisements

Power going out in the middle of the night might be scary at first, but shortly your eyes would adjust to the moonlight, and you'd be able to make your way around. I used to go caving when I was younger, and I always had a backup light in those circumstances, but for normal suburban life, I consider a headlamp and a camping lantern to be more than sufficient for emergencies. And, honestly, that's not all I could come up with to light a dark house if a power outage was truly extensive. There are votive candles in a kitchen drawer, tapers in holders on the fireplace mantle, a pillar candle on the coffee table, and even a strand of battery-powered string lights in the box of holiday décor stored in the garage. Oh, and I could also light a fire in the fireplace. (Gosh, I'm not sounding so minimalist now, am I?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 02:18 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
How many real emergencies have you gone through when a flash light broke?

This is not about emergencies but a hoarder.
I have never had a flashlight break in the middle of an emergency. But I have tried to use a flashlight during a power failure and found it to be defective more than a few times. Mostly problems with batteries leaking. So it was good to have a back up. Honestly right now I don't have a working flashlight in my home. I'm going to buy my first headlamp soon. If that works well, I think I'm going to buy four or five of them and have them in different drawers around my apartment. Then if I have an extended power failure, I can jump from one to another, if the batteries go dead.

But I admit I'm a low level hoarder. On the subject of cookware. Right now I'm 100% eating frozen food. But I have a fair amount of good quality cookware, that I'm not going to get rid of. Because if I decide to start cooking again, it will cost me quite a bit of money to replace that cookware. Hoarding anything that you might use in the future is being frugal.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I have never had a flashlight break in the middle of an emergency. But I have tried to use a flashlight during a power failure and found it to be defective more than a few times. Mostly problems with batteries leaking. So it was good to have a back up. Honestly right now I don't have a working flashlight in my home. I'm going to buy my first headlamp soon. If that works well, I think I'm going to buy four or five of them and have them in different drawers around my apartment. Then if I have an extended power failure, I can jump from one to another, if the batteries go dead.

But I admit I'm a low level hoarder. On the subject of cookware. Right now I'm 100% eating frozen food. But I have a fair amount of good quality cookware, that I'm not going to get rid of. Because if I decide to start cooking again, it will cost me quite a bit of money to replace that cookware. Hoarding anything that you might use in the future is being frugal.
Unless your flashlight is in continual use, it's better to keep the batteries separate and just install them when needed. Also, don't store extra alkaline batteries in the refrigerator or freezer. They are best left in their original packaging and placed in an accessible drawer or cabinet.

As for cookware, I would not suggest getting rid of cookware just because you're going through a phase of eating frozen meals. That's silly and akin to suggesting someone donate their winter coat just because it's July and 95 degrees outside.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Unless your flashlight is in continual use, it's better to keep the batteries separate and just install them when needed. Also, don't store extra alkaline batteries in the refrigerator or freezer. They are best left in their original packaging and placed in an accessible drawer or cabinet.

As for cookware, I would not suggest getting rid of cookware just because you're going through a phase of eating frozen meals. That's silly and akin to suggesting someone donate their winter coat just because it's July and 95 degrees outside.
The problem with keeping the batteries separate, is that in an emergency trying to find and install batteries in the dark is not easy. That is why I will probably get a handful of headlamps. I'll use rechargeable batteries and make a note to pull them all out and recharge them at least once a year.

And yeah, that's my thinking on the cookware. I don't know if I will ever use that stuff again or not, and it would be nice to clear out the cupboard space. But if I do need to use it again, it would cost me $500 - $1,000 to replace it all. It just doesn't make good economic sense to get rid of stuff like that if you have the storage space, and there is any chance you might use it again.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
The problem with keeping the batteries separate, is that in an emergency trying to find and install batteries in the dark is not easy. That is why I will probably get a handful of headlamps. I'll use rechargeable batteries and make a note to pull them all out and recharge them at least once a year.

And yeah, that's my thinking on the cookware. I don't know if I will ever use that stuff again or not, and it would be nice to clear out the cupboard space. But if I do need to use it again, it would cost me $500 - $1,000 to replace it all. It just doesn't make good economic sense to get rid of stuff like that if you have the storage space, and there is any chance you might use it again.
A handful of headlamps? Just how large is this apartment of yours?

Old 10-02-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
A handful of headlamps? Just how large is this apartment of yours?
As I said its so I could switch from one to another if the power was out for an extended amount of time. Two would be the minimum though. I would also probably keep one in my car.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
As I said its so I could switch from one to another if the power was out for an extended amount of time. Two would be the minimum though. I would also probably keep one in my car.
Do you stay up all night? The sun will come up in the morning, and a set of good quality alkaline batteries should last a few hours at least.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Do you stay up all night? The sun will come up in the morning, and a set of good quality alkaline batteries should last a few hours at least.
It's called being prepared.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
It's called being prepared.
I guess. I'd just get ready for bed and go to sleep, so I can't imagine needing to cycle through multiple flashlights with a lifespan of at least several hours each. I have a Petzl backpacking headlamp that uses two AA batteries. Set on high beam, it will last about 3-4 hours. Set on low beam, it will last for about 24 hours. That seems more than long enough to be sufficient for a typical power outage. The sun will come up in the morning to allow me to change batteries if needed!

Old 10-02-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I guess. I'd just get ready for bed and go to sleep, so I can't imagine needing to cycle through multiple flashlights with a lifespan of at least several hours each. I have a Petzl backpacking headlamp that uses two AA batteries. Set on high beam, it will last about 3-4 hours. Set on low beam, it will last for about 24 hours. That seems more than long enough to be sufficient for a typical power outage. The sun will come up in the morning to allow me to change batteries if needed!
Thanks for the info. That is good to hear. Like I said I have never used one. It's on my To Buy list. Maybe I'll push it up the list a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living