Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 05:48 PM

204 posts, read 144,779 times

Advertisements

Is there a router i can purchase just to pull in internet without having to pay for an install contract with like infinity or internet provider......the house im renting had free internet coming in some how with just a linksys router that worked through all devices...but now for some reason the signal isnt coming in..........hotspotting from phone is too slow.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 06:25 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
how close are you to places that might have an open network? You can get a long range wifi antenna.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:32 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
It sounds like you were getting the prior tenant's leftover service, until Comcast or whomever cut it off.

You only have two choices: to pirate-piggyback off of a neighbor's wifi if they are unwise enough to have low or no security, or hope you are close enough to a strong, public/open site to use it for your devices. It gets a bit tricky and expensive to pick up a wifi spot and rebroadcast it for your own devices, which is about the only way you can use a long-range or high-gain antenna.

If the router you had was wired to the wall, you shouldn't have to pay much of anything to continue the service. I just switched from telco-based ADSL (a hasty choice during a rushed move) to Xfinity. Since the cable was already here and I had a cable modem in my junk box, there were no installation costs. Buy your own modem (new or used) and that should be your only initial cost.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
If you get food stamps, you can get ATT Access:

https://www.att.com/shop/internet/access/#!/

If you have housing assistance, you can get Comcast Xfinity Internet Essentials

https://www.internetessentials.com/HousingAssistance

Both cost only $10/month more or less. There are other people who qualify, but that's the basics.

I signed up for ATT Access, but then got an offer for Xfinity Essentials, and it's faster for the same price. I learned that I can do everything I want, including streaming movies on my laptop, for only 10 - 15 mbps. You don't need super fast internet for most browsing or even streaming.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:46 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
There used to be a time when you could get relatively slow but functional internet for $15-20/month. It seems like those options have dried up unless you’re grandfathered in. I guess with people dropping cable in droves they have to make up for lost revenue. I won’t be surprised if home internet eventually costs something like $100/month for the slowest speed. Cut cutter...well congrats - now pay us what you save on TV for internet.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:50 AM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Where I live houses are like a mile apart. So it is near impossible to steal anyone's wifi. The only way to get online here is to pay the phone company to use their landline.

We could drive half-hour into the city and park in a McD parking lot, or at the Walmart, both of them provide wifi to their parking lots. And their sites log you off every 30-minutes. So you end up spending a lot of time dealing with their site.

Small towns without McDs or Walmarts have fewer options.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:06 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
There used to be a time when you could get relatively slow but functional internet for $15-20/month. It seems like those options have dried up unless you’re grandfathered in. I guess with people dropping cable in droves they have to make up for lost revenue. I won’t be surprised if home internet eventually costs something like $100/month for the slowest speed. Cut cutter...well congrats - now pay us what you save on TV for internet.
I don't think there's a lick of sense in this, other than the gist that consumer demand changes over time.

I haven't seen broadband of even the 3-6mpbs DSL level for less than about $35 for a long, long time, and it was only in the $20 range in denser city areas. Even decent dialup was around $30 until the desperation days of $10/month unlimited before it croaked.

Broadband access is a commodity that tends towards price points over technical matters - the providers look for an optimum number of users at the highest collective price, and deliver whatever level of services supports that cost for those users. That is, there's always a $40 or so option - it's just gotten faster and faster over the years. Within a certain range, it costs the provider no more to provide a wide range of speeds; convincing users they need much higher speeds is just free revenue.

If the droves cutting overpriced and bloated cable services have kicked the props out of loss-leader internet... oh, well. You can still go for the triple bundles with free HBO, you know.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:59 PM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
... I haven't seen broadband of even the 3-6mpbs DSL level for less than about $35 for a long, long time, and it was only in the $20 range in denser city areas. Even decent dialup was around $30 until the desperation days of $10/month unlimited before it croaked.
We get 2mpbs 'dsl' for $30/month from our phone company.

Quote:
... there's always a $40 or so option - it's just gotten faster and faster over the years. Within a certain range, it costs the provider no more to provide a wide range of speeds;
Our other 'option' is to go with a satellite dish.

Our phone company needs to lay many miles of additional fiber before increasing speed becomes an option.

Quote:
... oh, well. You can still go for the triple bundles with free HBO, you know.
I think you need to live in a city first, that has cable. Before any bundles are available.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:11 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisjay2 View Post
Is there a router i can purchase just to pull in internet without having to pay for an install contract with like infinity or internet provider......the house im renting had free internet coming in some how with just a linksys router that worked through all devices...but now for some reason the signal isnt coming in..........hotspotting from phone is too slow.....
Well you got the internet for free. Someone else was paying for it. Now you will have to pay for it. That is life. Sorry man. The free ride is over.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:17 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Get a library card and use the computers at the public library. Free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living