Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 07:00 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
How many real emergencies have you gone through when a flash light broke? .........
Not too many since I finally figured out that cheap flashlights are a waste of money. But I assure you it really sucks to be out in a wild storm, trying to assist a ewe who is having trouble lambing, and have the switch on your flashlight poop out. Nor is it jolly to be trying to fix a flat in the middle of the night and to have the flashlight fail.

Since flashlights tend to be used when the power goes out, if they fail, it is going to be inconvenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 07:17 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Power going out in the middle of the night might be scary at first, but shortly your eyes would adjust to the moonlight, ...........
That's interesting. Power goes out in my area when it is storming. There's not a lot of moonlight available when there is a thick cloud cover and the rain is coming down in buckets.

Since this is the frugal forum, I don't buy disposible batteries. I use rechargeable. For "flashlights" , I have a couple of good rechargeable lanterns that are always charged and ready to use. I use rechargeable batteries for everything except the smoke detectors. There are an awful lot of things in my house that use batteries, the tv clicker, my alarm clock, the irrigation control, the thermostat for the furnace and on and on. All those items are running on rechargeable batteries.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That's interesting. Power goes out in my area when it is storming. There's not a lot of moonlight available when there is a thick cloud cover and the rain is coming down in buckets.

Since this is the frugal forum, I don't buy disposible batteries. I use rechargeable. For "flashlights" , I have a couple of good rechargeable lanterns that are always charged and ready to use. I use rechargeable batteries for everything except the smoke detectors. There are an awful lot of things in my house that use batteries, the tv clicker, my alarm clock, the irrigation control, the thermostat for the furnace and on and on. All those items are running on rechargeable batteries.
Your point about rechargeable batteries is well made. As for power outages, the last four in my area involved either a butthead with a backhoe, a car accident, or heavy snow.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:17 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Necessary clutter is an oxymoron. If something is necessary, it's not clutter. If something is clutter, it's not necessary.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:52 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Necessary clutter is an oxymoron. If something is necessary, it's not clutter. If something is clutter, it's not necessary.
Might want to reconsider that:

If I disassemble my truck motor and lay it out on the garage floor so that I can reassemble it:

It's still cluttering up the floor.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:26 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Hmmmmm, and no one has asked about my flash light baton comment.

For those places, trips where I can't carry a gun, then there are contingency measures.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:46 AM

495 posts, read 328,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Hmmmmm, and no one has asked about my flash light baton comment.

For those places, trips where I can't carry a gun, then there are contingency measures.
This has been a really interesting thread to read. You seem awfully fearful, if you always feel the need to keep a weapon on you. Perhaps you ought to move to a safer place?

Old 10-03-2018, 09:30 AM

4,867 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Might want to reconsider that:

If I disassemble my truck motor and lay it out on the garage floor so that I can reassemble it:

It's still cluttering up the floor.

That would depend how long you let the parts lay on the floor.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:08 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
That would depend how long you let the parts lay on the floor.
So clutter only becomes clutter after a certain amount of time?

Old 10-03-2018, 01:10 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
This has been a really interesting thread to read. You seem awfully fearful, if you always feel the need to keep a weapon on you. Perhaps you ought to move to a safer place?

I am sure that in the current political environment, we could say A HECK OF A LOT about that statement!

Thank you, kind poster, you have really made my day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living