Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 12:31 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I value my time off more than I value my time at work. For me, that is all that matters.
This is another important point. I work 6 days a week 8 hours a day and have a business on the side. DUring my one day offa week which I still have to run my business I spend pretty much the entire day catching up on housework and grocery shopping and in turn have no leisure or relaxation time at all.

I struggle paying for things I can do myself because I'm cheap but honestly for my mental health and for times sake I really should hire out more stuff for the reason you stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:07 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
........ if you can make $50 an hour at your business and you spend 4 hours cleaning your house you could have made $200 in the time it took you to clean where as you probably could have paid someone $60 to clean your house so in that sense you lost $140 in time/earned income...............
I clean my own house because I don't know anyone who will pay me $50 an hour for those couple of hours.

It isn't $60 to clean your house and it hasn't been $60 to clean your house since about 1955. Try closer to $250 for the good house cleaners, unless the house is tiny, which mine is not, and you can forget about finding a house cleaner who will wash windows or clean a dirty oven or refrigerator.

After the professional cleaners are done, I have to go around behind them and clean again because even the expensive ones don't do a good enough job.

My earnings go on whether I am working it, watching TV, sleeping, or out fishing. My income doesn't switch off when I start to clean my house.

i suspect that there are a lot of people who won't clean house or tune the car because their time is "so valuable' yet what they are doing with that time is playing video games and they are not earning any money at all while they are not cleaning their house.

If you happen to be making $500,000 a year and you are working 60 hours a week, then go ahead and pay a housekeeper, because you can afford it, not becasue you are too good to clean.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:09 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Common now get off your high horse. Your fourth reason is pretty out there. You won't pay someone to clean your house because your sister doesn't respect her house cleaner and because you don't feel people should have to do menial or manual work? Really?

I know a girl who cleans houses herself with a girlfriend or two and makes a good 70k per year. It's all about working for yourself and not working for someone else for min wage. Secondly, who do you think picks up your garbage, picks the fruit you eat, etc? It's people making a low amount of money probably not being respected at their workplace but are you going to stop eating fruits and veggies?

To each their own your obviously welcome to have your own views and spend your money how you like but not getting a housekeeper because of how someone else treats theirs ins't a reason its silly
Yeah, I agree I'm WAY over thinking it, but it doesn't have anything to do with any high horse...

As a matter of fact I've only been in service jobs (my husband is the money maker). Now I'm a self-employed dog walker. I charge $12 per half hour. Before my W2 was with a home health care company. My clients were lovely people and I enjoyed the work, but the agency was terrible. I made $12 an hour and the company charged $25. They don't treat people who do the work very well. They put clients and workers at various risk. That's what I'm talking about. I don't like a system that treats people unfairly. I try to avoid participating in it where I can.

Also I guess mentally I think of myself at the level of a house cleaner because economically on my own, I'm no better off than one. So it seems pretty silly to me to pay someone the same money that I earn.

As for the garbage collectors (I have NO control over them or my landscapers since I live in a condo)
but food.... I often avoid large-scale productions. I shop mostly at the food co-op, farmer's market and CSA boxes. I'm even pickier with my animal products. I know the name of the farm, the towns there located in and even the names of the farmers. I obviously run into problems when I travel or eat out.. but you do what you can and try not to worry about what you can't.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:27 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
I have heard the rule of thumb is half your pretax pay. Thus if you are a mechanic earning $25 an hour, you won't spend an hour trying to save $10. But you wil do a household repair taking two hour to save $30.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
I value my time more than money, but less than family and friends.

I see a lot of people wasting time to save money. They must think they live forever.

Last edited by NJBest; 11-16-2014 at 04:46 PM..

Old 11-17-2014, 02:14 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
My time is worth whatever I want to spend it on.
I'm retired

Old 11-22-2014, 02:37 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
This is another important point. I work 6 days a week 8 hours a day and have a business on the side. DUring my one day offa week which I still have to run my business I spend pretty much the entire day catching up on housework and grocery shopping and in turn have no leisure or relaxation time at all.

I struggle paying for things I can do myself because I'm cheap but honestly for my mental health and for times sake I really should hire out more stuff for the reason you stated.
If you can afford it then of course you should hire out some of the work. Instead of washing your car at home have it washed for you, instead of mowing your lawn, have it mowed for you, etc. etc.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:29 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Well, that's how I'm figuring it this Thanksgiving.

My dh has the whole week off, and we do have some rather pressing business matters to attend to tha could be worth much money over the long run. However, its turkey time again! I usually start about now, make my list, check it twice, shop, shop, shop......to get everything right. Start prepping Monday, then, well, everything takes a back seat to the big meal.

This time, I ordered the meal. For $75 I'm getting a very nice meal, and I don't really think my family cares who cooked it! I'm making just a few things, a cranberry salad and a jello ring my kids say they always look forward to. Other than that, well, let the grocery store do the rest! Also, paper plates clean up nicely! My dd told me she actually "hates" the fancy Lennox china, because it must be and-washed, no dishwasher, and I'm always so picky about how its handled. I'm going to list it on Ebay, why have something you're a slave to? If I left it to dd, she said she would just sell it because she detests using/washing it. Its not like this is the White House!

For once I'm valuing my time, instead of the show!

Old 11-25-2014, 03:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Life sort of forced me to retire early and today my time has a lot less value. I figure if I'm not working, it's my 'job' to spend the money I have wisely. So I do spend a lot of time looking for sales/coupons and ways to live OK for less.

I worked for decades and then my time off work had a lot of value because it was rare. I just bought what needed to be bought and didn't worry about the price or concerns that I might be able to get it for less elsewhere. Because my time was worth more. I didn't spend time running around or researching to save a few bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living