Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The only bad thing about bar soap is that it will build up on your tub and require more scrubbing.
CLR and a plastic putty knife. Then use car wax on the tile. It helps prevent soap scum from building up. Use Rain X on glass shower doors....same deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 05:26 AM

19 posts, read 18,849 times
Suave is cheap and also gives pretty good results.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:34 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
One way for women to save money on hygiene products is to use a reusable menstrual cup instead of pads or tampons. The cup is a little expensive to buy initially, about $25, but will last a long time.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborger View Post
Like body wash, shampoo, deodorant, hand soap, laundry detergent and dish detergent?
Castile soap can be used for many of these purposes. When I travel, that and a crystal deodorant are pretty much all I carry as personal hygiene items. Castile soap can also be used as dish detergent. The upfront cost is pretty high, but they last forever. Laundry detergent can be made with bar soap, borax, and washing soda, but your best bet is probably just to look for sales/use coupons and purchase a reliable brand. Use it sparingly. Most people use much more than is really necessary to clean clothes effectively. Try using a TBSP or two, and see how it works. You can always adjust up.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
But lime is so sticky on my hands.

So glad people are bringing up Dr. Bronner's
Watch lime use carefully. A few years ago, children in Florida a few years ago developed second-degree burns after playing with limes from a backyard tree during a party. And I agree about Dr. Bronner's castile soap. It does leave a film, though, because it's soap, not detergent. That being said, I love it!

Old 01-02-2015, 12:12 PM

543 posts, read 999,616 times
I like to buy store brand shampoo. Here in Texas, we have a supermarket called HEB and they make some good quality store brand products. The price difference is significant, especially since their generics are also made in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
One way for women to save money on hygiene products is to use a reusable menstrual cup instead of pads or tampons. The cup is a little expensive to buy initially, about $25, but will last a long time.
I love cups: they're much more discreet.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:21 AM

605 posts, read 704,938 times
I've always wanted to try a cup, but I don't know much about them.

Anyways, does anyone have a good alternative for Lancome's eye makeup remover? It's an expensive brand, but it's the only product that is gentle enough for my eyes. All the cheaper brands really irritate me.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:41 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
None of these things have to be 'expensive'.

If you really want to be frugal, look at the items that require a larger percentage of your income and see how you can trim those instead.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:02 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,072,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
I've always wanted to try a cup, but I don't know much about them.

Anyways, does anyone have a good alternative for Lancome's eye makeup remover? It's an expensive brand, but it's the only product that is gentle enough for my eyes. All the cheaper brands really irritate me.

How 'bout some baby oil or coconut oil? Or a nice lotion.
I just wet the ends of a q-tip in my mouth and wipe the excess
off w/that...just the mascara that missed my lashes.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:09 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,939 times
I second the $1 stores.
If you go to Dollar Tree, they have GREAT toilet paper. It's thick and soft, just like an expensive brand. Best around.. I swear.

Also an amazing buy at Dollar Tree: Their laundry soap. It's called "L.A.'s Totally Awesome," the light purple kind with fabric softener already in it. It smells great and lasts 30 loads.

"BriteWhite" toothpaste is made by Palmolive, same as Colgate brand. At D.T. it's $1 for a huge tube. I use it.

I'm picky about shampoo so I spend $1.98 for Suave. I don't like most other cheap brands for my hair. Still a good deal seeing how 1 bottle of shampoo and 1 bottle of conditioner last me about 3 months. Add in 1 box of hair dye to keep my hair color fresh ($3). And a bottle of hair smoother and root pump ($2 each). Total hair expense about $11 every 3 months.

I cut my own hair also, learn some tricks -- I get compliments on my soft, long hair ALL the time and no-one knows I only spend $11 every 3 months on it.

Last edited by G0DDESS; 01-08-2015 at 06:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living