Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:22 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I did. I have internet on my phone but it is slow. I go to the library once a week to access the internet.
Wow. I know I couldn't wait a whole week to access the internet. I use it all the time to look up information

But I wonder if this is a trend seeing as internet is so expensive now. I'd love to not pay $90 for internet but there is no other option in the town I live in. I get a few tv channels with it and I don't even care about tv. But that's how they get you--Comcast is the only game in this town. If I threatened to drop them, they'd just say, "OK." They know we can't get anything else for internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 02:29 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times
That points out one of the reasons why things aren't getting better: People keep whining about how cable television providers are monopolies. They're not. There is effective competition for subscription video entertainment in almost every jurisdiction in America. The price for cable is a reflection of remarkably healthy competition among lightly-regulated oligopolists.

Not so for Internet service. Not anymore.

And as long as the vast majority of focus is directed where there isn't a problem, i.e., cable television, instead of where there is a problem, Internet service, things will improve for consumers very slowly and prices will be higher than they should be.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:06 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Wow. I know I couldn't wait a whole week to access the internet. I use it all the time to look up information

But I wonder if this is a trend seeing as internet is so expensive now. I'd love to not pay $90 for internet but there is no other option in the town I live in. I get a few tv channels with it and I don't even care about tv. But that's how they get you--Comcast is the only game in this town. If I threatened to drop them, they'd just say, "OK." They know we can't get anything else for internet.
Are there no satellite services available???
Certainly not suggesting the service may be as comparable, but I thought DISH, for instance, was available everywhere.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:37 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,672 times
Quote:

I'd be surprised if there were no other broadband options in New England. Have you looked at AT&T or Verizon Wireless?

Old 02-01-2015, 11:58 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
Quote:

Surfing the internet used to be a daily routine for me. For some reason, I do not need to surf as much. I only visit a few sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living