Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 02:38 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I got a door that a neighbor was tossing out. I don't need it right now, but might need it in the future, if I don't it will go out in the trash again.

A few months ago a neighbor tossed out a nice dining room table chair with arms, it was clean with a fabric seat to I brought it home. One leg is a little shaky, but it can be made sturdier and you can still sit on it without falling. Also recently I found a nice TV rolling cart.

One time when I lived in an apartment I found a pair of crutches near where the trash cans were so I brought it in, they were in good shape and you never know when you might need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 03:54 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
There's a fine line between frugal and hoarder.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:32 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,687 times
Lamp. Turned around and sold it on Craigslist for $25

Old 03-02-2015, 05:44 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Cat tree. Lawn chairs, radios. TV sets.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:38 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,575 times
I live in a neighborhood of several small apartment complexes that are close to a college. I can see a few different dumpsters from my apartment. Good items are frequently left next to the dumpsters for people to take. We have gotten several cat trees; after some cleaning up, my cats love them. We have gotten many small pieces of furniture, bed side tables, etc.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:00 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,138,983 times
I got a really nice wood sofa/entry table with 4 drawers by our dumpster--at first I thought it was a headboard. I was going through chemo at the time, but I managed to get it back to my apartment (with a lot of rest breaks)! My best find .

Old 03-02-2015, 07:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
A few months ago I got a door that a neighbor was tossing out. I don't need it right now, but might need it in the future, if I don't it will go out in the trash again.

A few months ago a neighbor tossed out a nice dining room table chair with arms, it was clean with a fabric seat to I brought it home. One leg is a little shaky, but it can be made sturdier and you can still sit on it without falling. Also recently I found a nice TV rolling cart.

One time when I lived in an apartment I found a pair of crutches near where the trash cans were so I brought it in, they were in good shape and you never know when you might need it.

When is bulk garbage day? We don't have anything like that here, anything that is not in your standard trash container (several sizes and prices available), in your standard recycling container, or in your standard yard/compost container simply isn't picked up.

I guess the two trash pickups following Christmas are sorta like bulk garbage days, they are intended for discarded trees and holiday gift packaging.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
When is bulk garbage day? We don't have anything like that here, anything that is not in your standard trash container (several sizes and prices available), in your standard recycling container, or in your standard yard/compost container simply isn't picked up.
I'm in south Florida and where I live it's on Wednesday. The city picks up old palm fronds and other bundled yard waste and people put out old furniture. In the area I live in there are areas in lots where people leave things. I dumped an old non working fan there this evening, I saw someone dump what I think was an old boat mini fridge that I saw in another area earlier this week. We don't have dumpsters in this development. Some people throw anything there, I've even seen a tire before.

One time I was walking my dogs and I saw a box of shot and slim cordial glasses. I was thinking of taking them, but kept going. I decided when I went around that block I would go back and get them. As I was heading towards them someone in a car came and took them. You snooze you lose.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:18 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Back in the day taking anything off private property was a civil offence ( '70's)....Fast forward to 1980's recycling was realized, thus allowing those who want to pickup what was on curb to use for whatever's was condoned...LOL (Better than landfill) but since this..it's been encouraged..why?? because many purchases ('90's) actually have an added cost ( environmental) onto of purchase..

Anyway..I was far ahead of recycle mentality..but it's now a phenomena...I say GOOD..let those that can DO! and let those that can pay it forward!!
Bottomline, really is to NOT add to the landfill that's already full of toxic items that is and will for ever cause a detriment...

Those environmentally conscious should NOT be Mocked..They should be applauded....The sooner appreciation of Environment the better

Old 03-02-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Cat tree. Lawn chairs, radios. TV sets.

My father threw out and old working TV set, we actually did it the right way and took it to the city dump's recycling area where they keep them in a container. It was an old 32 inch heavy tube TV. Not too old maybe from the 90s. We told the guy it worked if someone needed it, and he told us a lot of them there still worked. My father still doesn't even have a flat screen TV. He has I think a big 36 inch tube TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living