Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:21 AM

210 posts, read 238,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Food banks are underutilized. One food bank I know about had a sign asking people to recruit new recipiens and encourag eligible people to sigh up, they said there were too few people using the benefit, and it would be discontinues if they did not increase their distribution. So there may actually be more available food than the eligible public is able to take.

No, she didn't. It's what her ex-husband agreed to. Her only mistake was to formalize her relationship with a legal marriage. I bet now she knows better. The global banking cartel loves legal marriages, they can gouge ex-spouses for their entire life earnings.
Yeah, he quite literally would beat the crap out of me and threaten me with worse unless I took out private student loans and give him the money. I was stupid to stay for 4 years, but smart to leave. I've come to terms with the fact that the debt is mine and my responsibility to pay it off. And just trying to do so without burdening my new family with 25 years of debt. But please, let's not make *this* the issue. I really want to stick to the question at hand... is it WRONG for me to use the food bank??

Old 09-10-2015, 10:21 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Food banks are underutilized. One food bank I know about had a sign asking people to recruit new recipiens and encourag eligible people to sigh up, they said there were too few people using the benefit, and it would be discontinues if they did not increase their distribution. So there may actually be more available food than the eligible public is able to take.

This depends on the area. Here, they are stretched thin. You can only go once every 90 days. And here, you have to actually prove there is a need or be referred by a case manager from a program.

And OP?

60k a year and you want to use a food bank?

Ask the food bank employees. After they finish laughing at you or throwing you well-deserved looks of disgust, I'm sure that the ridiculousness of what you are proposing will sink in.

Shame on you.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:26 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The food bank is for the destitute.

It's not a convenience ban
k.

You could make up the difference with a second job pretty reasonably.

Your line of thinking scares and offends me, but the bright side is that you were thoughtful enough to ask.

If I knew people like you were routinely using the food bank, I would quit donating immediately.
Yes, what he ^ said.

It would not only be a matter of taking away from the truly needy, it would also be cheating everyone who donates.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
This depends on the area. Here, they are stretched thin. You can only go once every 90 days. And here, you have to actually prove there is a need or be referred by a case manager from a program.

And OP?

60k a year and you want to use a food bank?

Ask the food bank employees. After they finish laughing at you or throwing you well-deserved looks of disgust, I'm sure that the ridiculousness of what you are proposing will sink in.

Shame on you.
Why shame on me? Is it wrong to even ASK an online forum?! Sheesh.

People can go weekly here. But I know that from hearsay. I've never been. So... why shame on me?!?

Old 09-10-2015, 10:32 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriousjane View Post

People can go weekly here. But I know that from hearsay. I've never been. So... why shame on me?!?
Shame on you goes a bit far, but seriously, programs like this were not intended for people in your situation.

Programs like these fail or become victim to public resentment when they are abused.

You have other options.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:

No, not shame on you for asking. Shame on you for considering this as an option.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that somehow you don't know that a food bank is for someone who would go without food otherwise. That is not you.

You don't need it. Period.

That's really all that needs to be said.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:46 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Find out more about the food bank(s) you are looking at. Even in the same area, food banks can be quite different. They're individual organizations, after all. If the food bank distributes federal commodities, your intake form will require you to affirm that you meet income guidelines based on federal poverty levels to receive those commodities.

The food bank where I volunteer has enough food for everyone to get a couple grocery bags full once a week. A lot of it is pretty good too, we have a garden to grow produce, and are in the process of starting up a larger growing operation. Some local farmers and gardeners donate their excess. As do the local bakeries and grocery stores.

We don't have income or any other requirements to receive food. If you want food, we'll give it to you. Plenty of our clients use us to stretch their food dollars, and that's just fine. We're not the police. Federal commodities aren't even ten percent of what we distribute, and if your income is too high to receive them, there's plenty of other food available.

How do you find out about your local food bank(s)? Volunteer. Many of our volunteers are also our clients. It's how they give back, so they don't feel guilty about receiving food.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:51 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:

I hope you've stuck with this thread long enough to read what I just posted.

It's obvious that quite a few of the people who responded to you don't have any more hands-on info about food banks than you do.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I hope you've stuck with this thread long enough to read what I just posted.

It's obvious that quite a few of the people who responded to you don't have any more hands-on info about food banks than you do.

Wrong.

I have had to use a food bank once when I lost my job.

My experience is exactly as I have posted.

Your experience isn't universal, or even the norm (see how I made an assumption?).

I just did a quick Google search for "food banks no income restrictions".

Even those that do not have income restrictions still limit the amount of food and the number of visits per family.

Having been in a position to use food banks once, I stand by my posts.

And if the OP is so convinced she is correct, why start a thread about it? Why not just do it?

Old 09-10-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Find out more about the food bank(s) you are looking at. Even in the same area, food banks can be quite different. They're individual organizations, after all. If the food bank distributes federal commodities, your intake form will require you to affirm that you meet income guidelines based on federal poverty levels to receive those commodities.

The food bank where I volunteer has enough food for everyone to get a couple grocery bags full once a week. A lot of it is pretty good too, we have a garden to grow produce, and are in the process of starting up a larger growing operation. Some local farmers and gardeners donate their excess. As do the local bakeries and grocery stores.

We don't have income or any other requirements to receive food. If you want food, we'll give it to you. Plenty of our clients use us to stretch their food dollars, and that's just fine. We're not the police. Federal commodities aren't even ten percent of what we distribute, and if your income is too high to receive them, there's plenty of other food available.

How do you find out about your local food bank(s)? Volunteer. Many of our volunteers are also our clients. It's how they give back, so they don't feel guilty about receiving food.
I will do that. Thank you for this information. My friend told me most of the food at the food banks comes from trader joes, local bakeries, and a local organic food co-op.

I did call and ask what was required. They said a photo ID and a utility bill. For income, you just check an income bracket on a form and they said there was no maximum limits. Which of course if they had said "under the poverty line" and required proof of income, I wouldn't lie about it. It seems as though I qualify based on their qualification standards, which is why I asked here because I'm conflicted inside about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living