Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 11:13 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes, but you shouldn't have to replace yellowed nose pieces on expensive, "quality" frames.

For the money you pay, they should use plastic that does not yellow, KWIM?

Those thin, circular nose pieces sound nice, I will have to look for them when I get new glasses, which I have been putting off for a while now.
I'm getting mine from Kaiser Optical because I'm a member. But they may be widely available. They are so much better than the earlier style, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 12:04 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,336 times
Default Ray Ban Rimless Frames and new Rx Lenses

I just purchased a new RayBan Rimless Titanium Frame w/ a MSRP of $183 over the Internet; I paid $121.
I took it into the Optical Shop that is associated with the office of the Ophthmaligist that I have gone to for years for an eye exam and new perscription. I told him I wanted: TRIVEX Lenses; Transition In Grey and Tri Focals in FlatTop 8x35 in lined Trifocal. He said that combnation was somewhat uncommon but he would try. He did find a source: The Lenses will be approx $515. I'ved had both Cataract Surgery in both eyes and Vitrectomy Surgery (both eyes) approx 12 yrs ago. Both the Doctor and the Optical guy said I was extremely lucky to have the new perscription "get-me-to-20/20-in -both eyes"!!/.......I guess at age 83.5, I should be thankful to have such good sight!

I welcome any comments and/or opinions .........I know I could have saved some money on the lenses by acquiring them over the internet,...but I felt that dealing locally here 12 miles away was worth the extra cost.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Thank you, this is the information I was looking for. I can see frame price online but I can't readily see lenses cost. I guess I will try zenni and see how it goes.
The lenses range from very inexpensive ( under $20 each, I think, but not totally sure as I can't use those and didn't mentally file it), and go up depending on the material and coatings you need.

In my experience , although "if you buy cheap, you get cheap ," seems to apply for some of the lowest cost frames, the lenses are of excellent quality.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I think so called "quality" frames are nothing more than industry hype used to justify outrageous prices.
Eh, frames do vary in quality, IMO. Some are cheaper/less durable material, some are covered with acetate that peels over time, etc.

I will agree, though, that cost/retailer is not a significant factor in assessing quality. Plenty of overpriced frames are cheaply made.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:07 AM

93 posts, read 83,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The online places are good if you don't have really bad vision. I can't use them. Like the OP, I need the high index lenses or my lenses would be like Coke bottles. That costs money. Then there are the bifocals without the line. Also, with a high prescription like I have, those places won't fill the prescription. Those online places are good if you just have ordinary vision with no special problems and not a high prescription.
I second this. My prescription is -18 and -14 (approximately) and I wear bifocals. When I checked out ordering glasses online I found that several retailers didn't offer lenses that went that high. I did find one that did, but after factoring in all the extra charges, the cost of the glasses wasn't much less than they'd have been at Walmart. To me, it just wasn't worthwhile.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:44 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaki View Post
I second this. My prescription is -18 and -14 (approximately) and I wear bifocals. When I checked out ordering glasses online I found that several retailers didn't offer lenses that went that high. I did find one that did, but after factoring in all the extra charges, the cost of the glasses wasn't much less than they'd have been at Walmart. To me, it just wasn't worthwhile.
I think your eyes are almost as bad as mine. My lenses would probably be about an inch thick if I didn't pay extra to get them made thinner. It costs a lot but thick lenses are heavy and uncomfortable.

I checked at Zenni one time and they don't even carry lenses in my prescription. But they are good if your vision isn't very bad.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:35 AM

1,548 posts, read 912,764 times
I spent like $12 on one pair I bought online, just to test it. They were fine, still use them after like 3 years. I then bought a 2nd pair at like $30. There's really no difference between the two and they are both fine. Spending $100+ on glasses now seems insane to me. This is the frugal forum after all.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:04 PM

93 posts, read 83,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think your eyes are almost as bad as mine. My lenses would probably be about an inch thick if I didn't pay extra to get them made thinner. It costs a lot but thick lenses are heavy and uncomfortable.

I checked at Zenni one time and they don't even carry lenses in my prescription. But they are good if your vision isn't very bad.
Those thick, heavy lenses are a pain, to be sure. As a child, my glasses always made my nose hurt, and never stayed where they should on my face, sometimes falling off completely. The high index thin ones are definitely worth the extra cost.

IIRC, Zenni only went to -10 or -12. But my cousin, who wears maybe a -2, orders from Zenni all the time and loves them. She has a pair of glasses for every occasion.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:09 PM

22 posts, read 21,728 times
Yes, both zenni and eyebuydirect. Everyone in our family buys only glasses online. You can choose non-reflective and extra thin options and pay a bit extra for each added feature. The quality is good and the price is great. And these websites sometimes have promotions (such as buy one get one free) which make it even better.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:31 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I wouldn't risk buying them online. I wear bifocals, and found that the best prices are at Costco. My newest pair were $165, as opposed to the optical store that wanted $360, and that's for transition lined bifocals.
Two pair of transitional glasses from Sears for $99. This was several,years ago so I don't know if this offer is still made
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living