Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:45 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times

Advertisements

Scoop Away is dusty but not so much that it bothers my cats. We also try to contain the dust as much as possible.

We tried so many different brands and this one seemed to clump the best while also getting rid of odors. Maybe some more expensive brands are even better but we always tried other brands when they went on sale, they weren't very good and then we went back to Scoop Away.

My cats have never been particular about litter, thankfully. We seem to be more particular than they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 04:06 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
I've tried so many, and here is what I have found:

Fresh step - GREAT odor control and the cats seem to like the "crunchiness" of it under their feet. VERY dusty and highly scented (maybe they make an unscented one, now, I don't know)

SweetScoop - cats like this one, odor control is pretty good. It is expensive and doesn't clump that great. Clumps fall apart.

Tidy Cats (non-clumping) - cats like this one, great odor control. Cheap! But very perfumey for my asthmatic girl.

Feline Pine - cats rejected this and did their business on the floor. Too bad, I loved it. It is the only litter my cats refused to use.

Dr. Elsey's Respiratory Relief: rock hard clumps, cats LOVE it, not dusty (but not dust free). $$$$$
'

Old 03-10-2016, 11:11 PM

18,095 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I've used other litters mixed in half/half with Dr. Elsey's to bring the cost down. My cat doesn't appear to have any allergies to litters, but you can go with unscented litters. I will put down the 'cheaper' litter first then top the box with Dr. Elsey's. That keeps the dust down and slowly mixes the 2 litters over time.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:34 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
I have used others, but I prefer (and seems my cat likes) "Arm & Hammer" clumping, unscented. It just works and don't like a perfumey scent. There is also the "Multi-Cat unscented" version, though don't know if it has more baking soda or what. (There is scented, so check if you are seeking the Unscented). The 20-lb box normally costs more, but I watch my grocery store flyers and buy when I see at a good price. The usual price can be $10.99 or more, but I have gotten for $4.88 - $6.99 on sale or on some Fridays, is on the "$5.00-Friday" deal at one market. It does seem to last (but realize you have three cats). I think litter costs more at Pet supply stores, too.

What I have always done (having had more than one cat, previously), is to scoop and sift daily, as I see stuff, then refill as needed. I just toss into a small, lined wastebasket, transferring the contents into the larger, lined trash to take outside. I don't do a full cleaning of the box, which gets washed, rinsed, dried and refilled but maybe every 3-4 weeks. My place does not smell.

Just a tip, some time ago I had found a long-handled slotted (metal) spoon at a dollar store that works so great for sifting and scraping off the bottom of box, rather than plastic scoops, I think. I had bought one for a relative too, and she agreed. I don't think that the liner bags are necessary either and will just rip. I just line my wastebasket with wastebasket-sized bags from the 99-cents store (which last since I dump contents into the larger trash, as mentioned). Also, after trying a litter box with a top attached years ago, I found it to be smellier than just having a regular, open box. I like that I also have a window right above the toilet, the litter box situated in-between the toilet and tub.

Anyway -- good luck,

Meow

Old 03-11-2016, 09:15 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
KITTEHS are not supposed to play in the stinky poop-box, get in and get out, are they supposed to "like" that filthy activity??????

Old 03-11-2016, 09:21 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
It's getting harder and harder to find unscented litter. The Cat's Pride litter that I have, is scented, but I can't smell it. I buy it at Family Dollar, and it's $3 for a 10lb bag. I only buy it when I have $1 off coupons for it, though. It doesn't clump as well as the more expensive litter, but I just mix it in, and it works well.

I have three more $1 Cat's Pride coupons to use up, then I'll be using the $.50 Family Dollar coupons for their 10lb jugs.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:31 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
KITTEHS are not supposed to play in the stinky poop-box, get in and get out, are they supposed to "like" that filthy activity??????
If they do not like it, they will use the bathroom somewhere they do like, which will not be the litter box. SO it is best to use a litter they like.

When changing litter, like from clay to paper, it is best also to do it slowly, using a mix, because a sudden change also may cause them not to like the litter box.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:28 PM

I agree litter tends to cost more at the pet store - go figure. I have to buy Elsey's at the pet store since Publix doesn't carry it, but when I used to get Fresh Step it was considerably cheaper at Publix than the pet store.

Looks like I am doing a full change weekly, where some of you are doing it 3-4 weeks. I scoop twice a day (which gets old), add more as needed, and do a full change every week. But that's for three kitties.

I hate scooping all the time, but I have to do what's best for the cats. I wish more brands would come out with "specialty" litters, like for asthmatic cats.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:59 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I agree litter tends to cost more at the pet store - go figure. I have to buy Elsey's at the pet store since Publix doesn't carry it, but when I used to get Fresh Step it was considerably cheaper at Publix than the pet store.

Looks like I am doing a full change weekly, where some of you are doing it 3-4 weeks. I scoop twice a day (which gets old), add more as needed, and do a full change every week. But that's for three kitties.

I hate scooping all the time, but I have to do what's best for the cats. I wish more brands would come out with "specialty" litters, like for asthmatic cats.
You did not respond to my post, mentioning the "Arm & Hammer" litter or anything else, mentioned.

Have you considered having two litter boxes? I know it would be work initially, but it could also stretch things out, having more "litter space" allowed for three cats for a longer period. (Either way, there is work and expense involved).

Old 03-11-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
You did not respond to my post, mentioning the "Arm & Hammer" litter or anything else, mentioned.

Have you considered having two litter boxes? I know it would be work initially, but it could also stretch things out, having more "litter space" allowed for three cats for a longer period. (Either way, there is work and expense involved).
Yes, I have written it down on my list that I have. I like that I can get A & H at Publix - well, I will have to see if I can get the kind you mention. My apologies for not replying. Yes, I do have two boxes.

A lot of great suggestions here and I can't try them all at once - I will test out one at a time and see how the cats respond. I think two to three weeks is enough time to assess if something is going to work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living