Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 02:39 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Go ahead, waste that last little bit of deodorant. Think of it as your one wild indulgence.
Sounds like a wild man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 02:42 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I don't worry about things that are low cost items. I will dig out the last bits of something expensive, like a fancy moisturizer or a prescription cream.

Instead I concentrate on the big things that can move the needle and really make a difference.
I hear that! I use certain RX creams, and for the price, I'm getting every last bit! I've found if you microwave the tube/container, for just a few seconds, it loosens up at least another dose or two. Just be careful, some tubes are lined with metal. However, I've found you can MW these tubes 1-2 seconds, and it does loosen up the cream inside.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:06 AM

296 posts, read 644,496 times
Come on now, Speed Stick is 1.00 at dollar tree, ( good quaility deodarant ) , no need to perform surgery on a stick of deodorant to salvage some deodorant crumbs, if you are in a dirt poor bind ok, But if you can afford a stick of deodorant, we..or at least I , could not be such a cheapskate.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,509 times
When I used deodorant sticks I used to take the "ends" and use them as clothes drawer sachets....They keep socks and T shirts smelling fresh.....
Now, I just use 50% alcohol with a little aftershave added in a spray bottle and spray the solution on my feet and underarms....It's the bacteria that stinks and the alcohol scented spray kills the bacteria...It's the best deodorant I have ever used....P.S..Not recommended for the crotch area...

Old 08-09-2017, 10:48 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
No crotch. Noted. LOL

I don't use an antiperspirant. I rarely sweat. It's a problem. I have excessively dry skin. I shower so that I don't smell "stale".

Old 04-22-2018, 07:59 PM

892 posts, read 483,916 times
you can make your own deodorant; baking soda/cornstarch the main ingredients

Old 04-23-2018, 09:23 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I get particular enjoyment out of rinsing ALL the soap out of a bottle of dish soap... When it doesn't pour out freely I add a tiny bit of water and when that's gone I do the same until it's not soapy any more. I think it's more of a mental illness than a cost-saving measure, lol.
I do that, but in our case, we refill the bottle from the huge container under the sink. I just prefer to refill a cleaned out and clean container.

Because once, at work, the women’s room smelled vile, and no one could figure out what was going on. And then I dropped a paper towel, and saw the hand soap had gone black in the container, which janitorial kept opening and refilling.

That kinda sticks in my head.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:31 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No crotch. Noted. LOL

I don't use an antiperspirant. I rarely sweat. It's a problem. I have excessively dry skin. I shower so that I don't smell "stale".
My dad became allergic to whatever was in deodorants, and had to stop using them. It took a couple of weeks, but his rashes went away. He used shower to shower powder.

No one but the family knew about it, he didn’t become the town pariah from not using deodorant.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:02 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My dad became allergic to whatever was in deodorants, and had to stop using them. It took a couple of weeks, but his rashes went away. He used shower to shower powder.

No one but the family knew about it, he didn’t become the town pariah from not using deodorant.
Me too, my doctor told me to quit using them when I was a teen, decades ago. Never had problems not using them.

However, my skin is dry, I do need daily lotion, so I always fight to get the last bit of lotion by laying the bottles on the side and scraping out the rest.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:21 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
I have cut open toothpaste tubes, scraped out the last bit of stick deodorant to meld on top of the new one (doesn't work very well). I generally don't do those things anymore.

I will add water to the last bit of laundry detergent - no need to waste it because the bottles are poorly designed, same with dish soap.

With lotions that come in a tube, when you get near the end, cut off the crimped end about 1" down. Then you can scoop out what is left and use the cut off piece as a cap. You can keep trimming the tube and the "cap" will still fit on it. Worth doing for tubes because there is usually quite a bit left after you can't squeeze any more out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living