Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 08:08 AM

35 posts, read 22,046 times

Advertisements

I ENJOY some of the things I do on vacation to be frugal -- they fit with what I like to do and help me get a sense of living as a local. Here are some of my tips:

1. Stay a bit longer in a location (traveling between places adds up quickly in transportation costs) and rent an Airbnb or condo. Often much nicer accommodations than same priced hotel.
2. Prepare 1-2 meals per day in own place (breakfast is super easy to do and coffee and pastries or yogurt at home makes for a leisurely start to the day). I enjoy grocery shopping in local stores and trying local foods.
3. Focus at least some of your vacation activities on free or low cost things -- walking, people watching, visiting libraries, parks, government buildings, churches, beaches etc.
4. Check for free or low cost activities like festivals, parades, public concerts that may be happening when you are visiting.
5. If there are special expensive restaurants you want to try, consider going for lunch instead of dinner. Much cheaper.
6. Research good local inexpensive restaurants (what's the best hamburger spot? ethnic and neighborhood choices?)
7. Use public transit where possible. Not only is this cheaper it is a great way to people watch and interact with the locals.
8. Buy your mementos in thrift stores and at flea markets instead of at full price stores. (I love thrift store shopping so this is fun for me).
9. Check whether there is an activities pass available in yor location if you are going to a larger city. (I've done this for example in NYC and Stockholm and saved half off the total of the activities I wanted to do such as tours, museums etc.) You do need to evaluate the things YOU want to do and see if it makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living