Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 04:37 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Do you say anything if guests come to your home and waste food, such as taking a large slab of meat, and throwing most of it out or anything else? Or like opening up a lot of beer cans, taking one sip out of each and leaving the rest. Would you consider not inviting that person back if they did it repeatedly? I had someone do this recently and I don't want this person back at my house and when they left, I didn't extend an invitation for them to come back sometime.
None of my friends would do this, and if one did and they got a second beer and I noticed they only took a few sips of the other one I would ask if their beer got hot or if they want some ice in it. The meat thing I would make sure I gave it to the dogs before it's thrown out.

I remember a story my parents told about going to a fast food chicken place with some family friends and the friend's daughters would take a few bites from a piece of chicken and then start on another piece before finishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 04:40 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
None of my guests have ever done that. If they take a large slab of meat, they eat it. Serious beer drinkers don't take a sip and then open another one. It is botique beer served at my house.

Sometimes kids don't clean their plate. But at my house, some critter or another will eat just about any leftover. Basically, I throw away corn cobs, artichoke leaves, and egg shells.

I did have house guests one time that couldn't understand that water had to be trucked in. I wouldn't have them back, but there were other issues besides refusing to turn off faucets.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Do you say anything if guests come to your home and waste food, such as taking a large slab of meat, and throwing most of it out or anything else? Or like opening up a lot of beer cans, taking one sip out of each and leaving the rest. Would you consider not inviting that person back if they did it repeatedly? I had someone do this recently and I don't want this person back at my house and when they left, I didn't extend an invitation for them to come back sometime.
Well, with the meat example, I would ask them if they were sick and see what they say. Maybe they took a large portion and then discovered that it was too spicy or their stomach was upset.

Something like that happened to me at someone's house years ago. I took a serving of some dish and found out that it was so salty that to me it was virtually inedible. I managed to choke it down to be polite, but maybe I should have been honest with them and not finished my portion. (BTW, I later realized that the cook was always very heavy handed with the salt shaker).

I can't understand an excuse for opening up a bunch of beer cans and only drinking a few sips of each.

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-15-2018 at 05:12 PM..

Old 03-15-2018, 05:18 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
It honestly sounds like someone with a high level of casual rudeness/unconcern, or maybe even something into a mental impairment spectrum. I can't imagine how they go through life, in their own home or anyone else's, with these habits not being addressed. "Mommy never tells Sonny he's wrong" comes to mind.

OTOH, I once spent a few weeks sharing a house with a guy (one of four roommates, I was visiting another) who made the "show us how the little piggies eat" scene look positively refined. He could make more disgusting noise eating a bowl of cereal, audible throughout a large house, that you can imagine. He had no physical issues that I was ever aware of... and was working on a second doctorate at the time. So I guess...

Old 03-15-2018, 05:20 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Hmm, I've viewed food/drink prepared for houseguests as "gone". If they left a good portion of their meal I would probably ask whether they want to take leftovers home. Maybe someone decided they didn't like the flavor/texture of the meat? Are they supposed to choke it down anyway to the point of being sick instead of take a couple of polite bites? Untouched food is either offered to other guests or mine to make use of later. If I am going to begrudge what I offer to guests to the degree that I measure what they leave behind, maybe I shouldn't be giving the party. Opening a beer, leaving it to open another? Maybe all the beers looked the same and they lost track of which was theirs? If they'd already drunk a couple maybe they were impaired and forgetful?

Haven't seen this myself, so can't speculate much.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:20 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,816,761 times
Quote:
YOWSA!
Did the same person do BOTH of those things?
This is way beyond a frugal issue as I am an extremely generous hostess, but I would not care to associate with someone like that ever again.
At least not in my home or at my dinner table.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:23 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I would feel ashamed to be a guest and act that poorly.

I would not say anything to them, but I would never invite those people back, see yah later.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:17 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Hmm, I've viewed food/drink prepared for houseguests as "gone". If they left a good portion of their meal I would probably ask whether they want to take leftovers home. Maybe someone decided they didn't like the flavor/texture of the meat? Are they supposed to choke it down anyway to the point of being sick instead of take a couple of polite bites? Untouched food is either offered to other guests or mine to make use of later. If I am going to begrudge what I offer to guests to the degree that I measure what they leave behind, maybe I shouldn't be giving the party. Opening a beer, leaving it to open another? Maybe all the beers looked the same and they lost track of which was theirs? If they'd already drunk a couple maybe they were impaired and forgetful?

Haven't seen this myself, so can't speculate much.
Same here. If I invite someone to my home for a meal it's not because I want them to eat my food and drink my beer, it's because I like their company and want to spend time with them. Whatever I purchased and prepared is a sunk cost, and how much of it was consumed is really irrelevant. If the guest didn't eat much of the meal, I'd probably change the menu the next time; if he left several partially-drank beers, the next invitation might be "BYOB".

But I certainly wouldn't cut the person out of my social circle.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:24 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,206,292 times
I don't track what guests eat. Once the food is offered, it is theirs IMO.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:25 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I suppose if that was their only flaw and you liked their company, you could serve a dinner that came automatically with portion size limited. Then put their name on their beer.

Don't invite them back for a buffet type meal where they could pile up their dish and then not eat it.

I've had guests take more than they could eat, but they will try to eat it all, and they don't leave masses of food. Where i see waste is where parents serve their children and give them more than a child can eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living