Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:01 PM

1,305 posts, read 856,368 times

Advertisements

I can't answer all of your questions, but I do know that the Hulu and AT&T services are streaming, so no satellites. You would need fast enough internet speeds.....I can't explain to you how streaming works technically...maybe someone else on here can...it's like if you watch videos or youtube on your computer....it downloads and displays directly to your computer...no satellites or dish. But again, you need decent internet and a Smart TV or some sort of Roku player or other device. If you are close to a city, you can possibly get by with a good antenna. Where I am, that is not an option as too far out or something. I tried it and just got junk channels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 04:05 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
what is hulu and how will it save me money on Cable TV ?
Hulu is a website that hosts video media that you can watch.

It might save money as you do not need to have cable to watch hulu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How about rabbit ears?
Only works if you have an OTA tv broadcasting in your area.

We have one 'local' broadcaster, with an antenna pointing at the broadcast station and a signal amplifier we can get one TV channel.

Quote:
Our Internet is part of the Spectrum $200 bundle.....that's the best part of their package.

Would CSPAN and the Cable News channels be "over the air" with rabbit ears ??
Is ATT Direct TV via satellite ??
I think CSPAN is cable only. Cable 'anything' is cable only.

Direct TV is a satelite service.

We use our telephone company landline to gain access to the internet. For about $30/month, they call it 'dsl' for 2 to 3 Mbs of speed. Enough to watch Tv and movies.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:18 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Streaming services (sling box) won’t really save you money now that corporations are now packaging all these streaming services/subscriptions together with channels and conent you’ll never watch, just like they did with the cable box.

The tv media industry are quick learners

Old 07-24-2018, 04:47 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Better have a very good internet connection or Hulu will suck.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applelvr58 View Post
one thing about these streaming services there prepaid so good luck getting a refund if something don't work
have you tried to get a refund? i have been refunded for prepaid things before as long as i had a legitimate reason.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:40 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,947,781 times
Executive Summary --

Streaming Services don't really solve my problem.

Satellite TV is not reliable enough in this area due to trees, storms etc.

Over the AIr Antenna does not solve the problem -- channels I like are Cable Only.

Cable Internet is the lynch-pin to the whole process. Spectrum's Cable Internet is actually pretty good. When you bundle it with Cable TV is when it becomes too expensive. Their initial subscriber package price is decent, but skyrockets after the first year.

I'm beginning to think that the solution involves bouncing between two providers every few years. It's almost like shopping for Car Insurance.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:55 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Satellite TV is not reliable enough in this area due to trees, storms etc.
do you know this for a fact? i had directv for about 7 years and it was very reliable. the commercials saying it wasnt were not true.

i actually switched when i moved which happened to be when at&t took over. i noticed an immediate downgrade in customer service. it was too little interaction to give a judgment but id be very mindful of it if i chose to return. my wife wants to go back to directv. i actually did like to deal with them.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:58 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
do you know this for a fact? i had directv for about 7 years and it was very reliable. the commercials saying it wasnt were not true.

i actually switched when i moved which happened to be when at&t took over. i noticed an immediate downgrade in customer service. it was too little interaction to give a judgment but id be very mindful of it if i chose to return. my wife wants to go back to directv. i actually did like to deal with them.
We had Direct TV once.

The signal would fade away every 3 or 4 months, and we would have techs come to re-aim the dish. They were never able to get it mounted in a manner to stop the signal from fading. We really needed a much larger dish.

I have never watched any pay-per-view channels though. When we got it, I went through the setup and made sure that I turned off as much of the access as I could with passwords [we had foster-children in our home and we did not want them messing with it].

Months later Direct TV sent us a bill saying that we had watched a pay-per-view channel continuously for 3 days. It was around $400 that they wanted.

We fought the bill, which they eventually sent to a debt collector. Who would call at all hours of the night. Eventually Direct TV 'corrected' the bill to say that the pay-per-viewing had happened a year before we got Direct TV.

It took a long time and finally, the debt collectors quit pestering us.

Now Direct TV sends me ads wanting us to sign-up again.

Direct TV needs to have some office that can correct the bills. During weeks that your system can not detect a signal, the customer should not be billed [no service=no bill]. And erroneous billing for periods outside of your contract should be scrubbed, but they do not seem to have any internal office capable of fixing that.

If I signed a contract today, and you want to bill me for something a year ago, that is just wrong. I have no desire to deal with any company that does these things.

Now that I know Direct TV does these things, I will never do business with them again.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:23 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
We had Verizon Fios and the bill was almost $300 a month with boxes, etc. I got tired of it and we only watched a few channels out of the 400 or so I had, so I cancelled the whole works. Gave up the land line, etc. Signed up for just internet at $39.99 a month flat (100Mbps up and down) and signed up for DirecTV Now (streaming cable service). $35 a month and if you sign up for 3 months you got a free Apple TV 4K. I've done that now twice. Have an ATV hooked up to both our TV's since all of our movies are loaded into iTunes anyway. $65/mo and I have everything I want. We did sign up for CBS All Access since I wanted to watch ST Discovery, it worked out well since most of the shows we watch are CBS anyway. I'm contemplating dropping DTV Now when it goes to renew since we rarely, if ever, actually use it.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:36 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
We had Hulu for a couple months after getting their first month free deal. We quickly canceled as there wasn't much we had interest in. Been cable free for about 4 years now and never missed it. We have used Netflix also, it's ok. If you can do without tradition channels and just want to keep up on favorite seasons and shows then it's worth checking out. Cable is way to expensive anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living