Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 05:04 PM

297 posts, read 167,309 times

Advertisements

A few days ago USA Today had a short video about cord cutting and whether it saves any money. It is a pretty bad video. It cites no sources, no info on pricing, it shows absolutely nothing worth while. So the fine folks at cordcutters.com decided to write a rebuttal article.

Video here: https://www.usatoday.com/videos/tech...ey/1117765002/
rebuttal here: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/our-...-cord-cutting/

But this got me thinking.

Yes, cord cutting saves money.

I watch soccer so I always had the top tier cable/satellite packages. Since I was in those tiers I had the premium channels by default. One stop shop. And that would cost me some 130-150 a month depending on whether I was on a promo deal or not.

3 years ago we cut the cord and haven't looked back.

Currently I subscribe to PS Vue, ESPN+, Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime. Soon to get Bleacher Report Live as well for Champion's League.

I don't factor Amazon monthly cost in the subscriptions since that does more than just TV viewing but if I had to monetize their Prime Video/Audio option, it would be about 5 USD a month. So with that...

45+5+12+9+5 = 87 a month. Listed in the order above. Missing BR Live but that'll be another 10 a month which most likely I will split with my coworker, so 5, for a total of 92.

Saving money? Yes.

But then I mentioned soccer. This alone is costing me the ESPN+ and BR Live. Since BeIN Sports lost the Italian league, I skipped it this year since it's an extra 15 dollars for just the Spanish league. Not that interested...

HBO does the standalone thing. Along with Showtime and the rest.
Then came CBS All Access.

Adding those subscriptions can easily reach my previous monthly TV bill.

The model is being followed slowly but surely. Next thing I know NBC and ABC will have their own "premium" version via subscription with "premium" shows. Other stations will follow suit. NBC owned stations (SyFy comes to mind) will probably be separate entities offering their own "premium" content via subscription.

For now it's OK. 7 day trials for these subscriptions cover full access to their libraries. So we binge on Game of Thrones and Westworld when the season is over. Same with The Good Fight and the new Star Trek. But they aren't making any money off of me. Or others who do the same. Maybe we pay for 1 extra month because we forget to cancel the subscription.

So then what happens when everyone does this? Not too long now... give it 5 years max.

Personally I see this as a Airline Deregulation Act parallel of sorts. Cord cutting is that "act" and now we see lower prices across the board. But soon enough the mergers will begin. And instead of several subscription services we can pick and chose from, we'll have only a handful. Just like the airline industry now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 05:10 PM

4,618 posts, read 3,318,378 times
Are you figuring your internet cost in there somewhere? I didn't notice it, but admit to not reading your post terribly thoroughly. One year when we were doing the same arithmetic about cord cutting (which we did eventually, for other reasons) we realized that if we paid for internet services, that's about $50/month, depending on where you live. Then all those other nickel and dime separate services have to be added on top of that, again depending on what you want. By the time you got some premium sports channels in there, it added up to about the same thing as a premium package from the cable company. Many of the channels that used to be free, as you said, are now charging.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:19 PM

297 posts, read 167,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Are you figuring your internet cost in there somewhere? I didn't notice it, but admit to not reading your post terribly thoroughly. One year when we were doing the same arithmetic about cord cutting (which we did eventually, for other reasons) we realized that if we paid for internet services, that's about $50/month, depending on where you live. Then all those other nickel and dime separate services have to be added on top of that, again depending on what you want. By the time you got some premium sports channels in there, it added up to about the same thing as a premium package from the cable company. Many of the channels that used to be free, as you said, are now charging.
Internet is a given and it really should be treated as a utility. But since you brought it up, we switch every year or 6 months, whenever the promo period is over. Since we have 2 competing companies, we've bought a compatible cable modem and it's just a matter of establishing the account and switching the feed from the light pole from the Comcast wire to the Wave wire and vice versa. Cost, roughly 30-40 a month depending on package/promo.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:32 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,277,580 times
We always kept the cable package because my husband liked to watch pro and college sports. I got Netflix up and running during his last months as he spent more time at home. After he died and as soon as Google Fiber was available in our area, I dumped the cable company. We were paying $130/month 2 years ago- who knows what it would be now. I now pay about $85 for Google Fiber + Netflix + MagicJack. (I prefer to keep a landline.)

So for me, it's a great deal. Netflix has more than enough to keep me happy.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:43 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,065,122 times
LOL... When I read the title of your thread, I thought it was in reference to cutting cords of firewood for home heating vs. gas/oil/electric for home heating...

IMO cutting your cable cord and/or reducing services is indeed as much about eliminating all that mental mind candy that gives your brain cavities, and frees up your time to pursue more useful/educational/skill building interests as it is about saving money. Or you can just use the newly found downtime to decompress/travel/ spend time with friends or family.

Cable providers are clever, however, and are fully willing to resort to tricky behavior modification tactics to keep you hooked. Losing your "triple play" discount if you eliminate one or more of a bundle package on services, signing you up for a limited time at a reduced rate, etc. etc.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:59 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,437,690 times
I cut TV in 2011 (internet cost has remained pretty much the same since about 2006), have ZERO "video" subscriptions. Net savings, roughly $80/month. That means I've not spent roughly $6700 on being force-fed commercials and propaganda.

Win-win in my book, all pro and no con.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:19 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,277,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Cable providers are clever, however, and are fully willing to resort to tricky behavior modification tactics to keep you hooked. Losing your "triple play" discount if you eliminate one or more of a bundle package on services, signing you up for a limited time at a reduced rate, etc. etc.
When I called the cable company (Comcast, I think) to ask about the cost of Internet-only, it was more expensive than my Internet + Cable package + Phone. Helloooo, Google Fiber.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,424,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
LOL... When I read the title of your thread, I thought it was in reference to cutting cords of firewood for home heating vs. gas/oil/electric for home heating...
Ha, ha I thought it was about cutting the cord on your adult kids, lol.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:17 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,065,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
When I called the cable company (Comcast, I think) to ask about the cost of Internet-only, it was more expensive than my Internet + Cable package + Phone. Helloooo, Google Fiber.
Was all equal in both instances? Some companies give an introductory triple service deal for a limited time (that time passes quickly) then rates start to shoot up. Also, many customers get lured into triple discounts then either voluntarily or by "desire default" upgrade some or all three services (faster internet/more TV channels/unlimited international calling/etc.) which at the end winds up having them pay far more than the one service, and ultimately makes the company more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Ha, ha I thought it was about cutting the cord on your adult kids, lol.
ylisa, I do believe we have come up with our own "Triple Play" discount...

For a limited time only, bundled services for savings include:

A. Cutting the cord on your cable!
B. Cutting the cord on your adult kids (assuming you have them)!
C. Cutting cords of firewood for heating savings!

Bundle only, no discount if you don't need all three and want to go with one or two, offer not valid in Utah, California, parts of New Jersey and most major Cities!....

Old 09-05-2018, 06:26 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,408,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post

In my area, internet only plans are $39.99 and the cheapest all-in cable plan is $100/mo (sorry, "$59.99 plus equipment fees, taxes, surcharges, etc." but your bill is $100).

I switched from cable company TV service to DirecTV Now, the new internet offering from DirecTV. My bill all-in isn't terribly less- about $80/mo, but the big perk is that I can now watch TV on my 7+ smart TVs in the house instead of the 1 TV that has a box on the cable company. I can also watch TV on my iPad, and when I'm at my parents' house in a different state.

Cable TV's days are numbered- internet TV is just better.

Caveat- I don't care about sports. That seems to change the calculus, though the cable bill is usually higher in those situations too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living