Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 11:03 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,662,281 times

Advertisements

Another sports conundrum...

Does anyone have a way to cut their cable cord and maintain access to ESPN3, which requires a cable account to log in? I watch women's college basketball, and ESPN3 is the only way to get most games. Does ESPN+ include all the stuff on ESPN3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 11:57 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Cable TV where I am provides 70 high definition cable channels, 23 high definition over the air channels, and 51 standard definition channels plus 50-100 music channels. We pay $154 for those channels, 50 Mbps internet and modem, and VOIP telephone. The TV stand alone would be $95 plus $22 for equipment rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukumjacka View Post
Adding those subscriptions can easily reach my previous monthly TV bill.
Certainly if I tried to recreate the entire list of channels (if possible) from streaming services it would probably cost just as much, but most people are saving money by using a smaller list of channels.

Google Fiber was selling 1 Gbps internet for $70 a month, and TV for $90 a month (fiber phone for $10). They cut out the TV in the new cities because it was not very popular. In addition they own Youtube which offers Youtube Live TV for $40 a month and includes 40 channels.

Do basically I am only getting the channels with Youtube TV that come from the media corporations they have contracts with. I have to give up on Discovery/Scripps , or A+E, or Hallmark, or Viacom channels.

Youtube Channel --------- Corporation
CNN --------- AT&T
HLN --------- AT&T
TBS --------- AT&T
TCM --------- AT&T
TNT --------- AT&T
truTV --------- AT&T
Cartoon --------- AT&T
Disney --------- Disney
Disney JR --------- Disney
Freeform --------- Disney
National Geo --------- Disney (Fox)
FX --------- Disney (Fox)
FXM --------- Disney (Fox)
FXX --------- Disney (Fox)
ESPN --------- Disney
ESPN 2 --------- Disney
ESPNEWS --------- Disney
BTN --------- Disney (Fox)
SEC Net. --------- Disney (Fox)
Fox Sports 1 --------- Disney (Fox)
CNBC --------- COMCAST
Bravo --------- COMCAST
NBC Sports PHL --------- COMCAST
NBCSN --------- COMCAST
Syfy --------- COMCAST
USA --------- COMCAST
E! --------- COMCAST
Golf --------- COMCAST
Oxygen --------- COMCAST
Fox Business --------- NewsCorp
Fox News --------- NewsCorp
AMC --------- AMC
BBC America --------- AMC
BBC World News --------- AMC
IFC --------- AMC
Sundance TV --------- AMC
WE TV --------- AMC
Tennis --------- Sinclair Television Group
CBS Sports --------- CBS
History --------- A&E Networks

Old 09-16-2018, 02:55 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
^ pretty sure Direct tv now has all those channels. Regardless, I think most people are willing to give up a few channels if it means they pay 60-70% less....especially considering a lot of people have some combination of Netflix/Hulu/Kodi/antenna/internet plus a phone to entertain themselves.

I think about all tv will eventually be streaming. Hopefully that doesn’t mean streaming prices will eventually creep up to what cable is/was. When I first started streaming PlayStation VUE was only $30...then $40 and now $45 for the cheapest package. That’s a 50% increase in just a few years.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
^ pretty sure Direct tv now has all those channels.
I made a short list of the channels that were common to all three: Hulu , YouTube and Direct TV Now.
  1. CNN --------- AT&T
  2. HLN --------- AT&T
  3. TBS --------- AT&T
  4. TNT --------- AT&T
  5. TCM --------- AT&T
  6. truTV --------- AT&T
  7. Cartoon --------- AT&T
  8. Freeform --------- Disney
  9. Disney --------- Disney
  10. Disney JR --------- Disney
  11. ESPN --------- Disney
  12. ESPN 2 --------- Disney
  13. Fox Sports 1 --------- Disney (Fox)
  14. Bravo --------- COMCAST
  15. Syfy --------- COMCAST
  16. USA --------- COMCAST
  17. E! --------- COMCAST
  18. CNBC --------- COMCAST
  19. History --------- A&E Networks
  20. Fox News --------- NewsCorp
  21. Fox Business --------- NewsCorp

Outside of this core group the three streaming services differ. Disney just spent a lot of money to acquire FX, FXX, and FXM so they will probably try to force Direct TV Now to adopt these channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Regardless, I think most people are willing to give up a few channels if it means they pay 60-70% less....especially considering a lot of people have some combination of Netflix/Hulu/Kodi/antenna/internet plus a phone to entertain themselves.
Well the corporations are making some of the choices. Viacom's most important channel is Nickelodeon, which competes directly with Disney Channel. Viacom's other channels like MTV, CMT, VHS are often considered somewhat archaic given the number of competitors like Spotify, and Pandora. Viacom is frequently cut out.

But the second part of your question is very germane to younger people who wonder why they should pay so much money to have commercials blared at them. Hulu Video on Demand for $12 gives you commercial free nearly every entertainment show on broadcast and cable a day late.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 09-16-2018 at 03:49 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 08:24 AM
KCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
...people who wonder why they should pay so much money to have commercials blared at them. Hulu Video on Demand for $12 gives you commercial free nearly every entertainment show on broadcast and cable a day late.

I've spent the summer at a family cabin where another family member has Direct TV via satellite dish, with a pretty basic package. I am just floored by the number of channels that are actually shopping networks or infomercial channels. If I took the time to add them up, I bet they are at least 25-30% of the total. Some of their "programs" now have very ingenuous names on the channel guide and semi-legit clips on their broadcast so that you can watch something for 5 or 10 minutes before realizing they're trying to get you to buy something.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:00 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Does anyone have a way to cut their cable cord and maintain access to ESPN3, which requires a cable account to log in?
You need to borrow the login of someone that has cable, friend, neighbor, family member; maybe take them out to eat a few times a year or help them with a home project, in exchange for the login!

Luckily, I just use my Dad's Comcast login and get all the ESPNs, FS1, Pac-12 network, Big 10 Network, etc.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:31 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,018 times
Here's an interesting question: we have Comcast in Florida where we winter. Is it possible to piggyback on the Florida subscription for our condo in Texas? Or are all Comcast locations separate cost centers?

Old 09-17-2018, 10:04 AM
KCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Here's an interesting question: we have Comcast in Florida where we winter. Is it possible to piggyback on the Florida subscription for our condo in Texas? Or are all Comcast locations separate cost centers?

I don't believe there's any way to transfer live television programming because you need a box and Comcast needs to send a signal to that box at that residence. You could ask them about a seasonal suspension of service at your summer residence, and a seasonal package at your Florida home. You can also use your Comcast log-in credentials from your existing account to stream programs from Comcast channels the next day.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:18 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,018 times
I talked to Comcast. They acted as though they'd never heard of that kind of situation. I had to take another subscription, so decided to take the internet only and use Roku for TV. One of the benefits of Comcast is the access to wi-fi hotspots everywhere for free, but of course you don't want to do business on those.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:32 AM

TV Everywhere refers to a business model wherein access to streaming video content from a television channel requires users to "authenticate" themselves as current subscribers to the channel, via an account provided by their participating pay television provider, in order to access the content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I had to take another subscription, so decided to take the internet only and use Roku for TV.
I think that once you have a subscription to COMCAST, you can download the TV Everywhere apps on your Roku and log in to your COMCAST account at your second home. Usually you get a six digit alphanumeric code on the Roku and you use that to activate the account on a web browser (you can use your phone). It can be annoying particularly since many apps must be logged back in after a few weeks.

TV Everywhere channels (apps)
  1. CNNgo
  2. Animal Planet GO
  3. Destination America GO
  4. Discovery GO
  5. Discovery Life GO
  6. FOX Sports GO
  7. Investigation Discovery GO
  8. Science Channel GO
  9. TLC GO
  10. Velocity GO
  11. Telemundo Deportes En Vivo
  12. BET
  13. Comedy Central
  14. Cooking Channel
  15. Cartoon Network
  16. CNBC
  17. DIY Network
  18. Food Network
  19. Freeform
  20. HGTV
  21. Nat Geo TV
  22. Nick Jr.
  23. Nickelodeon
  24. SYFY
  25. Travel Channel
  26. USA Network
  27. VH1
  28. Watch OWN
  29. Watch ESPN
  30. Bravo Now
  31. E! NOW
  32. FOX NOW
  33. FXNOW
  34. GSN Now
  35. Telemundo Now
  36. Univision NOW

I don't have COMCAST so I don't know what kind of restrictions apply, but I doubt that you have the ability to stream to an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. Obviously the words NOW or GO are popular for TV Anywhere apps.

The naming convention is not consistent. HBO NOW refers to the standalone streaming app, and HBO GO refer to the TV Anywhere service that requires a cable subscription

A new variant, usually labelled PLUS costs extra money, but allows you to stream the content commercial free and view older content. It requires a cable subscription.
https://fxplus.fxnetworks.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living