Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 04:09 PM

155 posts, read 179,325 times

Advertisements

I refuse to pay for cable, satellite, and so called streaming services. Which they are nothing more but a cable package without a cable box. I live in an area where I only get around 7 fta channels on my outdoor antenna. Does anyone know anything about fta satellite dishes or if they are any good? I have Netflix, Hulu, and amazon prime. But with Netflix and amazon raising their rates. I don’t feel like it’s worth paying their prices. When I already have a ton of dvds and the library has more. Plus my son would rather read, color, or play with his hot wheels then watch tv. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 04:26 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
I don't think home satellite dishes have been worth the yard space since the early 1990s. (I was there, and designed equipment for them and wrote for the trade/hobby magazines.)

There is tons of free streaming if you already have the setup for NF, Hulu, etc. Even Vudu has something like 1000 movies for free. With that and the basic 4 or 5 broadcast channels, you probably can't do much better without a lot of expense (which would equate to a lot of paid months of streaming service).

Old 02-22-2019, 09:35 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I looked into FTA satellite . If you look up the list of channels you will get, there are a ton of foreign stations, in case you want to watch TV in a foreign language. English language American channels are scrambled before they are sent to the satellite, so the only ones available are the free to air main networks, that it appears you are already receiving.

Cable TV I've got and all they are showing are reality TV shows and decades old network TV shows. I get Rawhide and lots of Big Bang Theory, plus movies that were released last century. Unless you want to watch The Fast and the Furious over and over and over, it's not worth paying money for (except a family member wants the football channels and even then the main games are on free network TV.)

A good roof top TV antenna will bring in your local stations better. Remember TV antennas? If you can even find one.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:39 AM

561 posts, read 324,650 times
We have a rooftop antenna that gets about 20 channels. We also stream Hulu and Netflix through a Roku and there are several free channels you can also get. Roku has it's own channel and Pluto, Vudu and a few others are completely free if you don't mind commercials.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:14 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Used to have Ku dish at the coast-Oregon. C-SPAN, NASA were interesting to watch. My issue was that sometimes the satellite goes dead and you need to know the channels.
Just barely within range of digital OTA from Mt Hebo. We can see Mt Hebo.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Remember TV antennas? If you can even find one.
They are readily available from many sources.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,018,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
They are readily available from many sources.
Yep. Too many people have had cable tv for so long, they've forgotten that we had outside antennas and 3 channels. There's far more OTA channels now, with all the sub-channels.

Stellar brand of antennas work well, and they're reasonably cheap compared to some of the advertised tire patch UHF only antennas.:

https://www.newark.com/c/audio-video...d=stellar-labs

Old 03-18-2019, 11:44 AM

15 posts, read 6,746 times
Depending on area, you can raise your TV ant to about 20 feet and put an amp behind it and get a good 100 mile range to pick more channels. If your on the darkside, google IPTV if you have decent internet. Not going to much into that, as its a gray area and works. Cheap! like 5$ a month cheap.

But get your ant higher off the ground, put a amp on it and see how many more channels you can get. C-band sats are rare and not many companies keep them operational anymore. My aunt and uncle had one for 30 years and over past few years their channel list has completely been terminated. Sats get replaced and C-band boxes doest get updated, so lose channels. The El-Carte they had was great. Pay like 2 bucks a channel, and still get east and west coast channels with it.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:13 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,018,615 times
https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/for...discussion.24/

Old 03-19-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4c6yv3r View Post
Depending on area, you can raise your TV ant to about 20 feet and put an amp behind it and get a good 100 mile range to pick more channels.
[...]
But get your ant higher off the ground, put a amp on it and see how many more channels you can get.
No amp and no amount of legal height will get you over geographical obstructions. Most TV reception is across flat or low terrain and height+boost will get you more. But having lived in a hilly rural location where half the town had sight of TV towers and half didn't, I can say that anecdotal info doesn't go far for this purpose, and spending money putting up taller and taller towers and adding amps and such is an expensive crapshoot.

The place to start is with the FCC signal strength page. (Yes, there are secondary sources, all of which take this data and spin it the way local weather reporters spin NOAA data. I prefer to go right to the source.) The FCC site has a composite of transmitter location and rough geographical data, so if you enter your address down in a hollow, it knows you will be blocked from channels your neighbor on the adjacent hill can get.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

If you run your address, it will tell you signal strengths for every tower you have any likelihood of getting, including ones down in the "brown" and "red" levels. If you have a lot of "yellow" stations, a taller antenna and an amp will help. If your list goes right from the "greens" - if any - to brown, it's very unlikely that anything but a pretty extreme tower is going to get you more stations.

By the way, the FCC site assumes your antenna is 35 feet over ground level for these calculations. So if you have an attic antenna or one at 15 feet on your chimney, any yellow stations will need only a few more feet and a little boosting to catch. But if your antenna is on a third-story chimney or very tall attic, you aren't likely to have much more capture ability.

Anyone who can put in a 75-foot tower is excepted from the limits. Some rural folks can.

An amp can only boost what it sees. Don't buy one until you have your optimized antenna, and then look closely at your actual reception strengths. (Most TVs will have at least a crude strength indicator.) An amp can ONLY bring in those ones just below your current reception level, and improve the channels you already have. They can't magically pull signal strength from very weak stations.

And, remember that TV is line-of-sight. For all the old-days fun of getting atmospheric skip channels from a few hundred miles away, if your antenna can't DIRECTLY see the tower, you aren't going to get the channel. TV frequencies don't scatter and bend like some others. Too far away, earth curvature blocks it. Add in for any hills, mountains or resting kaiju in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living