Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,089 times

Advertisements

Cable in our area is an arm and a leg..about $50 a month for the basic service. Almost $70 for anything worthwhile.

So we got a Blockbuster Rewards card, which is $10, but it paid for one of our rentals that day, so we essentially got it for $5.

We started using it, and man is it great. Tuesday-Thursday is rent one, get one free. So we'll get two non-new releases for $0.99, and that includes television series! We've already gone through two seasons of House, spending $0.99 a week on entertainment! Every six rentals (your free one counts as a rental, so essentially every 3 paid rentals), you get a free one. We use our free one on new releases, which are almost $5.

For people who have "their show" and don't mind waiting for it to come out on disk, it's a great thing to have. Also for those of us who prefer older movies or can wait until it goes to the regular shelves, it's definitely worth it.

Our monthly entertainment averages less than $10/month, including $1 day at the local non-new release theatre. We also have an LCD projector that can get up to 120 inches (which was half the cost of a small LCD TV) so we don't miss the movie theatre one bit. And cable? Who needs all those commercials!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 06:41 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
You can also watch a lot of tv shows now via the internet or youtube. BB also has concerts you can rent in addition to movies and tv shows. Great job!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:00 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Getting Netflix and buying a Roku box would be better. You would get movies in the mail and be able to access TV show and movies on the box for no extra charge.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:12 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,539 times
Dont forget the library! Most major cities have online library websites where you can search and request DVDs, then pick them up at your branch. Some even still have VHS too.

Our library has all kinds of DVDs, including old and new movies, tv series, kids, music and instructional. A lot of the box sets you can check out the entire set at a time, which I like. There is a limit per person at a time, but all family members can have their own card. It works great for letting kids pick out a stack to watch on the weekends.

You do have to wait a bit for brand new releases, but it's free!

Old 04-27-2009, 03:46 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
We borrow movies and other DVDs from our library for free.

For everything else, there's BitTorrent.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:40 PM

110 posts, read 375,634 times
I do Netflix by mail and watch their instant movies. Anything else I watch on various internet sites. So I spend about $10 a month and watch pretty much anything. I don't even have a tv in my house and it has actually been great.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:19 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
I'm using Netflix currently and that's a little over 15. ($15.03 to be exact)
I also check out DVDs from the library. I'm pretty excited the library system just added Six Feet Under series to the collection.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:01 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,968 times
I think you are all on to something important that is changing - alternates to the tyranny of television via cable or satellite. It annoys the heck out of me that I pay $50 a month for the privilege of watching so many commercials. The cable and broadcasters should provide me free television if they want me to watch their excessive commercials and promotions.

It also seems the percentage of time devoted to commercials has been steadily rising - especially on cable stations - and that a saturation point has been reached. Viewership is on the decline, and the younger audiences which are the prime target of advertisers, are abandoning the commercial television market in droves.

It is only a trickle of unhappy viewers today, but I suspect that it will turn into a flood over the next decade or so. Television, as it is presently offered, is dying.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:57 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
I watch OTA television only. Never had cable or satellite, and have no need of it. And with High Def now, man, OTA is better than ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living