Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:55 AM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,098 posts, read 2,150,727 times

Advertisements

Having one car, we have done that at times, but it doesn't work for us now...but that is a big money saver, and although takes more planing, you do get into the swing of it pretty quick.

Sodas...I used to drink alot of sodas, but hardly ever have them at home anymore (or out for that matter) guess that would be another one that I don't think about anymore.

Traveling with an ice chest is something I started when traveling with children. Can't afford the travel and eating out all the time. I'd rather travel.

Thinking back, yes when I had children at home, I'd go to the store more often for milk...I wonder if that's the factor that the statics reflex when they say most familys go to the store at least twice a week????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:37 AM

138 posts, read 510,789 times
I have a teenage boy a preeteen girl and a preschooler at home. We used to shop just once a month at the bulk stores but now it is 2 x monthly with a grocery store stop in between for milk. Since my husband has been out of work for some time the bulk stores seem tougher to spend 200.00 at each time but it does save in the long run. One thing that has changed is I rarely ever take the kids to the store with me because they ask for so much and I would always end end up buying something for them that I was not intending to buy.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:03 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Getting into health habits is the best way to do it, because once you do it for awhile it becomes second nature and you start doing it without thinking.

Just be sure at the start it is efficiently frugal, there are some that look like you are saving money because you aren't paying out rather then really frugal because the total costs are lower. Take making butter, I can take some half & half and whip it into butter pretty easily...however even getting the cheapest bottle of it I can find it's about 4x more then even the equivalent nice stuff I get at the grocery store. Or I have friends who do things themselves to save money, however if they don't educate themselves about how to do it right it can very easily cost even more (I had a friend who was trying to put in a graphics card and friend his main board recently, had to buy a new system).

Old 08-26-2009, 10:22 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
My dieting is actually saving me money. Instead of a drive thru lunch that cost $5, I carry a can of soup to work and save at least $3.50. No wine, water instead so that's somewhere between $6 and $18 dollars a week, depending on the quantity and quality of the bottle. I'm eating a lot more vegetables, fresh, frozen and canned, instead of frozen or fast food for a saving of at least $2 a meal. That adds up very quickly! Oh, and I've lost 20 pounds over the summer! I'm down at least one or two sizes so my old clothes fit and I'm not buying new clothing like I was before to accomodate my fluffy figure. So I'm helping myself in three great ways!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Wanted share a really fun and cool frugal event I just attended. Organized by one woman, she invited six of us to her house to bring along items we no longer wanted--small household items, clothes in good condition, jewelry, shoes, purses, books, accessories...all our no longer wanted but still nifty and desirable things.

First we had five minutes to 'shop' the items and mentally make a shopping list. Then she put our names in a basket and we each took a turn selecting an item we wanted. After we each had four turns, it was a 'free shop' period and we could claim get anything that was left. Then after that we could negotiate for items someone else had if we really, really wanted them. That didn't happen because we were all happy with our selections.

Can you imagine--this was a free shopping spree of great things. I scored a nifty Fall jacket, a blouse, an original work of art (one of the participants was an artist), a perfect leather purse, some hot pink leggings for the gym, and six pairs of earrings.

And I got rid of tons of books (I usually donate them to the Friends of the library, and they'll probably end up there eventually), some cute sandals that hurt me, a wine bottle holder and a bunch of other stuff.

A pot luck followed. There you have, a community girlfriend shopping spree where everyone got great things they love and no money was involved (except for our potluck contribution).

I thought this was a great creative re-use and recycling event. We plan to have another in the Spring!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:41 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
Sounds like fun, LittleDolphin!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:54 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,758 times
Tried to rep you LittleDolphin but guess I gave you rep on something else recently. Excellent post. I live in a VERY small town in SC and am not sure that I can get ladies to participate but I am going to try to organize one of these socials at my house. I think this would be a blast!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Let me know if it works for you..maybe if you bill it as a Clean Out Your Closet and Go On a Shopping Spree & Pot Luck Supreme Extravaganza!!, your friends will get excited--it's got both benefits, except, well, your closet and bookshelves get filled up with new things..but at least they're things that fit and you just might wear instead of taking up useless space...

And with winter just around the corner, it's wonderful to get new books to read for the coming snuggle at home times.

The things that were left over were packed up and donated to the local Thrift store that supports a worthy non-profit...

Old 08-28-2009, 12:20 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Just a few...

When I need some paper towel, instead of ripping off a sheet, or even a half sheet, I rip off a small strip - about 1/4 or 1/5 of a sheet, and sometimes even half of that. I have found that for most things that actually does the job. If not, I rip off a little more. I've realized that there is almost nothing that requires one sheet - everything can be done with less than half a sheet, or it's the other extreme, requiring several sheets (like a big spill). And in the case of a several-sheet situation, I now use a towel instead, anyway.

I do as many of my errands in my own town as I can, and it involves the 1/2 mile walk into town and back. Bank, post office, light shopping, all done on foot. I don't even mail things to town hall anymore, I walk them there.

I pay bills online to save on postage and checks.

I canceled netflix and make full use of my town's library (which I usually walk to and from) as well as the other libraries in the county which I have access to.

I make a night out of a nice walk in the woods or in the city and then a cheap street meal and maybe a cup of coffee and dessert instead of going to full service restaurants and then to bars for a few beers. This saves easily more than half of what I used to spend, so I can afford to splurge on a movie or bar or sit-down, full service dinner once in a while - and I appreciate those things more now, too.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Let me know if it works for you..maybe if you bill it as a Clean Out Your Closet and Go On a Shopping Spree & Pot Luck Supreme Extravaganza!!, your friends will get excited--it's got both benefits, except, well, your closet and bookshelves get filled up with new things..but at least they're things that fit and you just might wear instead of taking up useless space...

And with winter just around the corner, it's wonderful to get new books to read for the coming snuggle at home times.

The things that were left over were packed up and donated to the local Thrift store that supports a worthy non-profit...

Hey LittleDolphin....My girlfriends are VERY excited about this. They are especially asking to include PURSES and SWEATERS for FALL/WINTER. I think we will have 8 girls and have everyone bring 4 items each, including at least one purse and one sweater. Everyone will bring an appetizer and I'll make sangria (wine, fruit juice and fruit). I don't want to encourage any drinking and driving so I'll make just enough for everyone to have two small cups...then I'll have hot tea, iced tea and lemon-water. This will be great. The girls are excited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living