Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 03:50 PM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,098 posts, read 2,150,057 times

Advertisements

I was given some candles. These are the larger type you would see in a centerpiece. I don't burn candles, and don't use center pieces. Any ideas of what I can do with them?
They have been burned once or twice, so to give them as a gift or for someone's center piece it really wouldn't work.
We do heat with wood, but can't figure out how to use them for heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 06:03 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Our local St. Vinnie's found a use for such candles. They sell them as fire starters. They melt the wax & add in shredded cast off clothing. They make them into blocks & cut them up & sell them for a few dollars. I bought some to use for our fireplace & they work great.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:30 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Light them with a match.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:29 AM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,098 posts, read 2,150,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Light them with a match.

If I were to put them in the stove, I'm afraid they would melt and puddle in the ashes, and make a mess.

I wonder if I could make logs, rather than starts with them????

Old 10-19-2009, 09:12 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:

If I were to put them in the stove, I'm afraid they would melt and puddle in the ashes, and make a mess.
Go ahead and throw them in the stove or fireplace.
As they melt, they will catch fire and burn up without a trace.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:17 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Go ahead and throw them in the stove or fireplace.
As they melt, they will catch fire and burn up without a trace.
TERRIBLE advice. The wax will spread and flare up and stink and could even cause a chimney fire. Seriously, this is one of the worst pieces of advice I've seen on the net. It works fine if you have birthday candles or even small sections of tapers, but a whole centerpiece candle in a fireplace is a major fire waiting to happen.

As an alternate use for candles, look up "lost wax casting"

Old 10-20-2009, 01:37 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Online there're some sites explaining how to coat pine cones with wax to make firestarters...

Here are some ideas you may enjoy for regular firestarters:

Another very frugal alternative to tossing out old candles is to make your own firestarters for your fireplace or wood stove. To make firestarters you will need empty cardboard egg cartons, dryer lint and old candles. -->> Frugal Living | New Beauty from Old Candles

Fire Starter Making Free Project

How To Make Decorative Firestarters Project - CUTE!

Lightweight Fire Starters Project

Here's something about spent coffee grounds & wax... (I don't see why you couldn't recycle wax for this project): How to Make a Fireplace Log Using Coffee Grounds | eHow.com "Starbucks coffee shops often have old coffee grounds they give away for use as compost. Ask an employee about obtaining these free grounds to use in your fireplace log."

Old 10-20-2009, 01:43 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
I was given some candles. These are the larger type you would see in a centerpiece. I don't burn candles, and don't use center pieces. Any ideas of what I can do with them?
They have been burned once or twice, so to give them as a gift or for someone's center piece it really wouldn't work.
You could fashion a seal for yourself and send a lot of letters.

I tend to take those kinds of candles outdoors and use them in the Summer time for lighting when we do more alfresco dining. I even have a couple of lanterns that I put them in.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:37 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
Where do you live?

Old candles are a main ingredient for emergency car warmers for if you get stranded in winter.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:48 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times
Take them to your nearest Girl Scout office and donate them. Pillar candles are not great for firestarters. They are great for decorating though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living