Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,694 times

Advertisements

Thanks to a thread posted here earlier, I've ventured into making my own lotion, shampoo, conditioner, lip balm, and soap. Since it's Spring Break and I have the week off of school, I should finally have the time to make some of these things up. I made the lip balm the other day and it turned out very well and it was very easy. If everything goes well, I should be able to keep my friends and family in cheap and healthy alternatives to some of their body care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 10:40 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,176 times
Awesome! Could you share some of your "recipes"? Thanks!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:29 AM

Here's the lip balm one. I have to tweak some of the recipes for the others, this week to get the correct measurements.

Lip Balm

1 TBSP of beeswax pellets (i use the pellets, just because it's easier to measure)
1 TBSP shea butter (I'm sure you could use cocoa butter as well)
1 1/2 TBSP avocado oil (or really any oil you want: coconut, almond, grapeseed, etc)
1/4 tsp flavoring (I used butterscotch in my first batch)

Melt beeswax on stove, remove from heat and mix in shea butter and avocado oil. Mix well, then add the flavoring and mix again. Hand stirring does just fine with this, no need for a blender.

Now pour the mixture into either the lip balm jars or tubes. I used the jars, just because they were easier to fill. I got 3 1/2 ounce jars out of this recipe. If going for the tubes you should have at least 7-8 on hand since they only hold .15 ounces.

Another one that turned out well was a massage oil:

8 ounces liquid oil ( I used almond, because it was on sale at the health food store)
1 tsp mint flavoring

Add the two to a bottle and shake.

One note, be sure the bottle says flavoring, the extracts won't work as well since they have an alcohol content.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,176 times
Awesome! Where do you find these types of products?

Old 03-14-2010, 03:19 PM

you can order them online. I have a natural food store here in town that carries some of the stuff, but I found it's usually cheaper to order online.
You could also check your local craft stores and grocery stores (for the oils) You can use almost any type of liquid oil, but some will be heavier or more greasy than others. You might have to experiment to find the right oils for you.

I just got done with a couple batches of shampoo, conditioner and soap. We'll see how they turn out.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Good luck to you. My stepdaughter makes her own health and beauty and cleaning products. I have been her guinea pig this winter for lip balm, soap, and body bars. I would love to learn more recipes to make my own.

I also want to make my own laundry detergent.

Mt stepdaughter's husband says she smells like food after a shower, lol..

Here is a recipe for shampoo that I am going to try when I get back home.
Homemade Shampoo

Old 03-16-2010, 08:38 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,331 times
You can still good quality essential oils in homemade lotions. Look for those that say "therapeutic" grade. They are not cut with alcohol.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Good luck to you. My stepdaughter makes her own health and beauty and cleaning products. I have been her guinea pig this winter for lip balm, soap, and body bars. I would love to learn more recipes to make my own.

I also want to make my own laundry detergent.

Mt stepdaughter's husband says she smells like food after a shower, lol..

Here is a recipe for shampoo that I am going to try when I get back home.
Homemade Shampoo
Thanks, I finally got the lotion to blend properly. First batch didn't blend and I had chunks of waxy oil topped with the water, the second batch never thickened, third batch was the charm.

That shampoo recipe looks interesting. Just be sure to add some Vitamin E oil to your mix to help keep the oils from going rancid, especially if you keep the bottle in the shower.

I've made up a batch of laundry detergent and dishwashing detergent that are really easy.

I am sort of cheating on the soaps and just using a clear glycerin melt and pour base, since I'm not sure I want to be working with lye (I'm such a clutz)

Old 03-16-2010, 08:58 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Mary Hunt (Everyday Cheapskate columnist) has several recipes that I've been meaning to try, but I'd love to hear from someone that has already tried them first ...

Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent
3 pints water
1/3 bar Fels Naptha Soap, grated
1/2 cup Washing Soda (not baking soda)
1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
2-gallon bucket to mix it in
Additional hot water
Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints hot water and heat on low until dissolved. Stir in washing soda and borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 quart hot water to a two-gallon bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Fill bucket to about 3 inches from the top with additional hot water, and mix well. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load. Note: This detergent will not make suds, which makes it perfect for front-loading HE washers.

Window Cleaner
1/2 cup non-sudsing household ammonia
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 drops blue food coloring (optional)
warm water
Pour ingredients into a gallon-size container that has a tight-fitting lid. Fill with warm water. Shake to incorporate. The food coloring, while not necessary, will alert you that the contents are not water. Label and keep out of the reach of children.

All-Purpose Cleaner
2 cups rubbing alcohol
1 tablespoon liquid dishwashing soap
1 tablespoon non-sudsing household ammonia
1 tablespoon white vinegar
Mix in a gallon container that has a tight-fitting lid. Fill container with warm water and shake to mix. Put this in a spray bottle and use as you would any other household cleaner. For cleaning chrome, countertops and bath fixtures.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:20 PM

The detergent I make is without the water. It fits in a little tupperware container from the dollar store and I use 1 (2 TBSP) scoop per heavy load.

2 cups Fels Naptha Soap (finely grated – you could also try the other bar soaps listed at the top) (this is actually only 1/2 bar after grating so you can get 2 batches with one bar of Fels Naptha)
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup Borax

Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container. Use 2 tablespoons per full load.

My dishwashing detergent is:
      • 1 cup Washing soda
      • 1 cup Borax
      • ½ cup salt
      • ½ cup citric acid

Mix together and store tightly covered in a Mason Jar. Use one tablespoon per load. Add white vinegar to the rinse dispenser for the best results. (i use 1 1/2 tbsp per load)
depending on soft vs hard water you might have to adjust how much you use for both.
I haven't tried the other 2, but will have to now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living