Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:08 AM

94 posts, read 274,472 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to put my house on the market and I have a flower garden in the front yard around a couple of trees. It looks lovely in the Spring and Summer but now just looks like winter. Any ideas on how to make it look nicer for showing the house?
I live in Virginia near the Chesapeake Bay - zone 7.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:21 AM

42 posts, read 79,572 times
Plant evergreens and use tasteful lawn ornaments! Ask a professional at a local plant nursery for advice on evergreen plants that thrive in your zone.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:22 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Hopefully you've taken photos of your garden and of the house in Spring and in Summer. Have your Realtor include these in any flyer or online advertising. Have them on display in the house to be seen during showings. As long as people know what is there they understand duing seasons that there is much they may not be able to see at certain times of the year. Include your plant/tree names with descriptions of what they as far as blooms/colors during the year.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:02 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
unfortunatly right now theres not much you can do you shouldnt be planting anything, just make sure everythign is TIDY, branches pruned, dead leaves trimmed back ect. a fresh layer of mulch and nice clean edging will help make it look tidy.

if your not planning on leaving till NEXT winter during the spring/summer you could add some plants that have colorfull bark and interesting textures to add winter interest to the area things like artic fire dogwood which has bright red bark during the winter, and walking stick bush which has awesome twists and turns ect.

i like the idea if you have pictures of it from spring/summer to display those on the flyer...

people dont realy look at "landscaping" during the winter months from my experience if there looking in the winter, the garden isnt their biggest concern. good luck
so for now just make sure things are neat and tidy when possible...if theres snow/ice on the ground try to keep your gutters/foundatins clear and dig paths for liquid to escape as it melts so the whole area doesnt turn into a mud bath.

a few pretty but tastefull yard decorations dotted aorund the place will add interst, i like gazing balls in the snow, they add a splash of color against the white, and brighten things on grey days.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:38 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
I think using the photos of how the garden looks when in full bloom is a great idea - especially if it is planted with perenials. I bought my house in the winter and, even though I had no prior gardening experience, I was very excited about my first house and I had wonderful ideas as to how I was going to plant the yard. I had no clue that there were flower gardens already planted in the front and the back until the spring when I started digging and pulling out roots and bulbs. One of my neighbors, an older lady originally from Japan, noticed what I was doing but by then it was too late. My first contact with this lady, who subsequently became a dear friend, was her running over to my yard yelling stop..stop...those are flowers!! in broken english. It has taken me years and trial and error to get the yard even close to how nice I hear that it used to look!

Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
I would just offer the buyer a free if they buy now 150.00 to home depot etc. to do there own
thing! I love tulips, however they don't work where I am, maybe also a good catalog with what grows and a certificate?
h

Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
maggie, from what i can gather, the op is saying the garden is already DONE, and looks lovely in the spring but wants some ideas on how to make the yard show better during a dormant season to get the whole thing showing itsbest to get the best price on the sale...

am i reading that right?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:42 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,519,220 times
try planting some pansies. most big box stores sell them all during the winter. they really add a splash of color. and if you dont have some already put some fresh mulch around them as well to freshen it up.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
maggie, from what i can gather, the op is saying the garden is already DONE, and looks lovely in the spring but wants some ideas on how to make the yard show better during a dormant season to get the whole thing showing itsbest to get the best price on the sale...

am i reading that right?
Winter is winter therefore a buyer should know this. The add on if you buy
is just a thought! Then they may plant or buy with there choice later?
The buyer may have a special plant or tree they wish and if they buy have
funds for that.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I would just make sure everything is tidy...bushes pruned, leaves picked up, no weeds, lawn and beds edged, etc.
We moved to GA last summer, so I'm eager to see what blooms in the spring in my yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden