Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:02 PM

730 posts, read 1,314,797 times

Advertisements

We're living in a condo with a deck; on the deck, we have 6 planters that get full sun from 10-2.

Hated last years' plants - drab, not showy

I want to plant colorful plants that can tolerate full sun. I'd like a very full and colorful plant with a non flowering vine or other plant to fill in between flowering plants.

Would appreciate suggestions (and I'm willing to order online if necessary, but would prefer to patronize our local nursery).

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 01:24 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
I bought a Hardy Hibiscus from QVC last year. The blooms were literally dinner plate size. They are not fussy and will survive even if you forget to water them not at all like the regular Hibiscus.
Cottage Farms 4-Piece Luscious Hardy Hibiscus - QVC.com
I still have them in my garage and can't wait to pull the containers out this spring. They were the talk of the town. I bought a trio of them but I see they have added a white one this year.
Not only the size but the color was incredible with multiple blooms on each as I said they were the talk of the neighborhood. I will try to link a picture I took of a bloom for you.

Attachment 90679 Yeah it worked!

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 10-05-2016 at 12:18 PM..

Old 02-05-2012, 03:00 PM

Wow, that's beautiful! Would it be appropriate for a window box type container (it fits over the railing). How tall does it get?

Old 02-05-2012, 04:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Petunias are showy, lots of colors from which to choose. However, you expressed non-flowering vine so maybe they are too showy for your taste? What about some oriental or day lillies?

Has the OP considered actually using some of the containers for food gardening, tomatoes, berries, herbs, etc?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
Wow, that's beautiful! Would it be appropriate for a window box type container (it fits over the railing). How tall does it get?
No, it gets about 2 - 3 feet tall and can be as wide too. It really is a beauty. I still have it in my garage in an 18 inch pot and it survived the winter (such as it has been) so far. It is still green and I will follow the directions to bring it out again this spring/summer.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:38 PM

For a non flowering vine you can use sweet potato vines. Some nurserys have them in a tri color variety. I had them last year and mixed them in with my ivy geraniums and they were spectacular.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:10 PM

Yes, that's what I'd like to do is mix flowery plants with non flowering vines (am sick of vinca vines), but need something that can tolerate mid day sun for about 4-6 hours.

I've read a bit about the sweet potato vines and they looked quite nice. I was thinking of geraniums as they're hardy, allow sun, and have lots of color. Will look for the sweet potato vines, thanks for the help.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:53 PM

204 posts, read 911,824 times
Geraniums are one of the best for non-stop color in a window box, but I thought I'd give a few other suggestions:

Vinca flower/periwinckle

upright petunias

Osteospermum/African daisies

Argyranthemum/Marguerite daisies

I've found hibiscus in a 4" to 6" pots before and used them in window boxes

Potato vine is a great trailer, just don't put too many in one box as they can crowd out other plants or just won't grow to their full potential. I generally put no more than two in a 24" window box (use 3 geraniums or other upright flower) sometimes just one in the middle and no more than 3 in a 36" window box. My favorite varieties are "Blackie" (dark purple/black) or "Sweet Caroline" Bronze/red both mix well with purples and pinks.

One of my favorite combinations was mixing fuschia Geraniums with pink Gaura, bronze carex, and "Sweet Caroline" potato vine.

It may not be flashy enough for you, but I would highly recommend Gaura in window boxes. It has great height, waves in the wind, doesn't need deadheading, and is not water demanding. Gaura lindheimeri "Blaze" - Pride of Place Plants (http://www.prideofplaceplants.com/perennials/gaura_blaze.html - broken link)
Gaura - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other trailing plants to consider would be ajuga 'black scallop, creeping jenny, and wire vine. Also, if you want to use a flowering trailer, bacopa can't be beat. I've had good luck with everything I've mentioned both in my own containers and many of my clients containers.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:40 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,370 times
Are any of these especially heat tolerant? I was going to have some fun with poppies in containers this year. I wanted to find a few other container plants to off set them.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 AM

204 posts, read 911,824 times
The majority of them are heat tolerant; the African daisies are the least heat tolerant of the bunch. What kind of poppy? Not all of them are heat tolerant or terribly long lasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden