Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:39 PM

115 posts, read 256,440 times

Advertisements

FINALLY!! Someone who knows what I'm talking about!
Thanks, J&Em! Those 2 links were very helpful and interesting! I just didn't know to look up the word 'solarization'
Thanks, Butterfly, for your input, too!

To some of the other posters.......
I already said I'm not going to dig it up. I can't. I'm 53 and have some physical problems. And even if I could, I do not want to disturb the soil right next to my 112 year old foundation! Besides, there are TONS of stubborn, deep roots. Why make it harder than it has to be??

I will spray RoundUp soon. Then, when the days get hot, I will cover it all tightly with the plastic for a couple months. Then I want to plant only 3 small shrubs and lay down some mulch for a nice clean look. This whole bed is next to my house and visible from the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
You are welcome. Good luck with it. The further north you live the longer it takes and the less chances of full success. It will most likely take a bit of repeat effort and some elbow grease to get rid of invasive weeds. If you can't apply the elbow grease for whatever reason you will most likely need to become friends with products like Roundup.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 PM

345 posts, read 994,537 times
I think plastic will harm the soil, so I don't recommend it. You want good soil later.

I've used 2-3 layers of overlapping newspapers, topped with mulch to hold them down, and waited a few months until all growth is dead and the roots are weak. Summer is best because of the heat, so it may not take too long. Just check occasionally and see how it's progressing.

I'm not impressed with roundup. I sprayed it on bermuda grass and the grass turned yellow, but didn't kill it. After awhile, the grass turned green again.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,623 times
Roundup? Are you serious? Chemicals aplenty in the soil. NO thanks...I think the reason most people are wanting to use plastic in the first place is to get the job done neatly, efficiently and ORGANICALLY! I have cut open some heavy black plastic garbage bags and stapled them securely and tightly (overlapping) across the top and sides of a grass-infested raised bed. I will let the heat of the sun do its magic. Afterwards, I will replenish the soil with good organic compost and re-plant~

Old 04-11-2018, 08:23 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Cardboard works, too, and unlike plastic, it won't do any harm when and if it finally decomposes. I used newspaper around a small tree, just cut layers of it into circles and put it around and used bricks to hold down the edges. It looks like I made a nice little bed for the tree and it has no weeds directly around the trunk and no problem getting water through. You can't tell it's newspaper from a few feet away. You really never need to remove it, either.

No matter what you use (besides RoundUp), there's a chance weeds will just start to grow on top of your sheeting and mulch after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden