Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:15 PM

88 posts, read 142,245 times

Advertisements

How about getting a big black dog from the adoption centre? or a few of them? be sure not to let them really bit... you wouldn't want a lawsuit on your hands.
or how about thorny plants? like thorny pomegranate? or poison ivy?

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:02 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Fencing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
So it's game on now. Between the rabbits, Fat Louie (the darn squirrel that my youngest thought it was cute to feed and is now HUGE!), and the stupid "Jesus neighbors", my garden is going to hell.

Seriously, I caught 3 bunnies munching on my lettuce last night, then early this morning Fat Louie was in the backyard chewing on radishes; then just a few mins ago I catch the stupid neighbour's kids out there digging things up while the whiney Dad is WATCHING them and not stopping them!

I went OFF! Dad didn't even make them apologize, and shrugged it off due to the middle one's mental state. BAH!

I can fix the bunnies with cayenne pepper sprinkled over stuff, but I'm not sure about Fat Louie (any advice?) I am having hubby save pee to pour around the border and I am going to order cougar pee as well, but what to do with the neighbours from HELL?!*

*These are the same neighbours from the rental forum BTW if anyone read that post.

Any ideas to fix the human intruders? I can fix the animals, and I fully plan on talking to the Mom, she's the only sane one of the bunch, but other than that, well that and the cops that is. The cops won't do anything about kids in a garden.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Bad neighbors = LARGE amounts of the smelliest fertilizer you can find. Once the kids start going home smelling like cow **** they won't be visiting.

(Some cities use it to keep homeless from sleeping in city parks.)

Old 05-22-2012, 07:04 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times
Ok, so I was working in the garden all day yesterday and most of the evening, and the brats were outside, and I could tell they wanted to come over, but they didn't 'cause I was out there.

I got ALL the weeding finally done for a few days (it grows back faster than I can pull it it seems), and when I was done, I sprinkled pepper around each plant, and this morning I was pouring collected water on each plant (let's face it, it's cheaper to collect and use, than using the hose); when the Mom asked what I was watering with, I answered her with human urine, it gets rid of most of the bugs, and prevents pests. She looked like she was about to puke,so I don't think the kids will be much of a problem soon, lol!

As for the fence, I am SERIOUSLY thinking (despite my better judgement on these matters) to order bamboo and plant it right on the property line,lol. I know within a year, our backyard will be nice and private, and NO CHANCE of the brats being about to cross it, lol.

They are just going to have to learn before next year, when I start with the "fun" plants that are/can be dangerous.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:55 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,916 times
I love the idea of a big black dog. It works well for me.

Sorry you are experiencing their anti-Semitism. Some of us love the Jews so much we joined you so all gentiles aren't like that, but it's a pain when people are nasty like that.

Good luck!

Chana

Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Bad neighbors = LARGE amounts of the smelliest fertilizer you can find. Once the kids start going home smelling like cow **** they won't be visiting.

(Some cities use it to keep homeless from sleeping in city parks.)
Sounds like a job for the fish emulsions or meal: http://www.city-data.com/forum/garden/1581669-fish-emulsion.html

Old 05-27-2012, 09:17 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I'd be tempted to shoot Fat Louie while your kids are gone, just saying. And the neighbor's kids, or any other unwanted kids for that matter, an ankle monitor should work like a charm. I once saw one on ebay.
Fat Louie sounds like the least obnoxious one out of the whole bunch of them, though.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
I have two black dogs, one is 45 pounds, the other is 26 pounds. They absolutely LOVE people but you would be surprised at how many people are petrified of black dogs. Even the small one who play bows and whines for them to touch her.

Black dogs are the answer.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:26 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
I am not too sure about the dogs, guys. I finally got my chickens (yay!) and I'm still on the lookout for a suitable puppy, but if you love plants, domesticated animals can do as much damage as the critters in the wilderness.

I would recommend getting a fenced area if you're planning to get one or more dogs.

I do think the OP's idea about the "fun" plants sounds intriguing. Thorny rose bushes?

Old 05-27-2012, 01:31 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I am not too sure about the dogs, guys. I finally got my chickens (yay!) and I'm still on the lookout for a suitable puppy, but if you love plants, domesticated animals can do as much damage as the critters in the wilderness.

I would recommend getting a fenced area if you're planning to get one or more dogs.

I do think the OP's idea about the "fun" plants sounds intriguing. Thorny rose bushes?
Not if you train them. I have a couple of gardens in the big backyard area and I trained my dogs that touching them was punishable by death.

Seriously, it really isn't that hard to train them to stay out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden