Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 06:10 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,584,724 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry for your wretched neighbors and their horrible children...I have zero patience for that sort of thing, and I would be FREAKING them out with whatever I could think of, as was suggested by a couple of other posters here. Having a Pagan circle around your garden would definitely make them want to keep their kids away from you, and I agree with nightbird, your plants will prosper, as they clearly respond to music, love and positive energy from the humans who tend to them .

Nice touch telling her it was human pee ! That should make her think twice about allowing her children to be digging around in your plants...honestly, the nerve! Parents like that should all have to live in the same neighborhoods and leave the courteous people alone!

The dog idea is also a great one, and like ThreeWolves said, they absolutely can be trained to stay out of the areas you don't want them to go into...if I can train 4 stubborn chihuahuas to keep off my plants, ANYONE can train a larger more mellowed-out breed to do so, LOL ! Just tell the parents it's been trained to attack any intruders, whether it be rabbit, squirrel, or human, and I'll just bet they'll start giving a **** about keeping their annoying little rugrats where they belong...on their OWN property!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 06:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Ok, so I was working in the garden all day yesterday and most of the evening, and the brats were outside, and I could tell they wanted to come over, but they didn't 'cause I was out there.

I got ALL the weeding finally done for a few days (it grows back faster than I can pull it it seems), and when I was done, I sprinkled pepper around each plant, and this morning I was pouring collected water on each plant (let's face it, it's cheaper to collect and use, than using the hose); when the Mom asked what I was watering with, I answered her with human urine, it gets rid of most of the bugs, and prevents pests. She looked like she was about to puke,so I don't think the kids will be much of a problem soon, lol!

As for the fence, I am SERIOUSLY thinking (despite my better judgement on these matters) to order bamboo and plant it right on the property line,lol. I know within a year, our backyard will be nice and private, and NO CHANCE of the brats being about to cross it, lol.

They are just going to have to learn before next year, when I start with the "fun" plants that are/can be dangerous.
Just don't get a spreading variety. Heavenly bamboo is a very pretty plant, thin, wavy branches, and it doesn't thicken up overly bad. Problem is it reproduces with runners which shoot these knife sharp points through the ground. We were forever worried about our above ground pool, but it did lift up some of the bricks around the pool...

They had it at school, and I asked them how they kept it under control. Winter every month, warm time of the year every two weeks they ran a saw around the plant underground to cut them. That's pretty drastic for a big 'fence'.

With this stuff you'd much prefer you neighbors of the hazardous gardening conditions. There are some non-spreading varities which just make heavy clumps. I'd stick with those.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:25 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I am not too sure about the dogs, guys. I finally got my chickens (yay!) and I'm still on the lookout for a suitable puppy, but if you love plants, domesticated animals can do as much damage as the critters in the wilderness.

I would recommend getting a fenced area if you're planning to get one or more dogs.

I do think the OP's idea about the "fun" plants sounds intriguing. Thorny rose bushes?
Piracanthia. Nobody ever tried to climb our fence at the old gates. Bougenvilla will do it too. Just buy really good thick gloves for trimming it.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:58 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I have two black dogs, one is 45 pounds, the other is 26 pounds. They absolutely LOVE people but you would be surprised at how many people are petrified of black dogs. Even the small one who play bows and whines for them to touch her.

Black dogs are the answer.
You're right. I was reading some article that said the Humane Societies have the hardest time adopting them out because they are so scary to people. Mine's a big baby and I'd trust her with my kids over a lot of people.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:01 PM

10 posts, read 23,790 times
The war begun in my yard when I started acclimating my growing seedlings outside. not so much bunny issues as squirrels. I have tried cayenne in the past. Problem is I love cayenne and hate sharing it with the flea bags. Plus it takes an awful lot to be real affective. I had a brainstorm during a failed attempt at making chili de arbol salsa from dehydrated arbols peppers. Fresh is best! My brainstorm has worked but I must be faithful with the applications.( Those &$%#!@ squirrels know if I miss a day) I boil the dried peppers, turn off flame let cool, so I can store in milk jug or . . . I strain them to keep the peppers and do the process again, using the same batch of peppers twice. I sometime add fresh garlic cloves, and an extemely HOT HOT HOT sauce called Daves insanity (appx a tsp per jug). Daves lable jokes that it will clean grease stains off your driveway. It has a slightly oily base that help it stick to plants. First I will water my flowers normally and then I come out with the big jugs of my special brew. Applying it to already wet soil eliminates the need for so much. Shake your brew good, then apply around base of plants. Depending on the weather, it lasts appx 2 days. They do not like it one bit, but will keep trying when you think you've solved the problem. Just be faithful at it and it should work as good for you as it does for me. You can also use a spray bottle. I have tried all the products in the stores, waste of money. So little for so much $. I went to a local flea market south of mke and got 2 large bags of dehydrated peppers (about football sized) for $10. Helpful hint, when boiling peppers keep lid on pot,the fumes seem almost lethal, turn off flame when just beginning to boil. Best done with very good ventilation. Good luck

Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM

10 posts, read 23,790 times
Also, on a nice relaxing day to pass the time on the deck, I have a liitle fun. I grab the hose, put nozzle on jet and wait for them squirrels to use my tree to shortcut their way back to their vacant home next door where they have taken over. It's a never ending battle, but worth it.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 PM

242 posts, read 465,533 times
If ya were not so far away I'd lend you my three German Shepherds (we live on 11.26 heavily wooded acres with a 2.5 acre cleared patch in the middle. My Shepherds are really good at getting raccoons, and intimidating unwanted and/or uninvited neighbors and other varmints.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:16 AM

61 posts, read 387,838 times
This will work with the rabbits AND the children: Amazon.com: Contech CRO101 Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Old 07-04-2012, 02:52 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreison Rhodes View Post
If ya were not so far away I'd lend you my three German Shepherds (we live on 11.26 heavily wooded acres with a 2.5 acre cleared patch in the middle. My Shepherds are really good at getting raccoons, and intimidating unwanted and/or uninvited neighbors and other varmints.
My Akita is good at catching squirrels and rodent also even intimidating people too. Just get a dog; it doesn't have to be big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden