Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 08:13 PM

113 posts, read 427,413 times

Advertisements

I found this bug/beetle in my woodpile near my Peach tree. I can't seem to find any id for this beetle. I have never seen this one so I just want to know if it is invasive or dangerous for my yard. I also have 2 apple trees and 1 magnolia in my yard. I live in North Alabama if this helps identify it. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!!

Can someone ID this beetle/bug?-img_0178.jpg

Can someone ID this beetle/bug?-img_0179.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 09:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I believe his name is Kenneth.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 PM

lol..... should I be more specific? I would like to know his Kingdom>Phylum>Class>Order>Family>Genus>Species... .. hee hee hee....bringing some of my old biology into this..... I guess I do remember something from way back in high school.....lol...

Old 06-05-2012, 09:32 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
It's a stink bug.

More specifically - from Wiki -
Pentatomidae, Greek pente meaning five and tomos meaning section, is a family of insects belonging to order Hemiptera including some of the stink bugs and shield bugs.[1] The scutellum body is usually trapezoidal in shape, giving this family the name 'shield bug'. The tarsi are 3-segmented. The forewings of stink bugs are called hemelytra, with the basal half thickened while the apex is membranous (as are the hindwings). The name stink bug derives from their tendency to eject a foul smelling glandular substance secreted from pores in the thorax when disturbed; in some species the liquid contains cyanide compounds with a rancid almond scent. This is a form of antipredator adaptation.
The idiomatic term "stink bug" is also applied to distantly related species such as Boisea trivittata, the "boxelder bug", and entirely different types of insects such as beetles in the genus Eleodes ("pinacate beetles").
Many stink bugs and shield bugs are considered agricultural pest insects, because they can create large populations, which feed on crops (damaging production), and they are resistant to many pesticides. However, some genera of Pentatomidae are considered highly beneficial: the anchor bug, which can be distinguished by the red-orange anchor shape on the adult, is one example. It is a predator of other insects, especially Mexican bean beetles, Japanese beetles, and other pest insects.

Spined soldier bug, Podisus maculiventris preying on larvae of Epilachna varivestis

Anchor bug (Stiretrus anchorago) valued as a predator on crop pests.

They also are commonly eaten in Laos, and are regarded as delicious due to their extremely strong odor. The insects are sometimes pounded together with spices and a seasoning to prepare cheo, a paste mixed with chilies and herbs.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:09 AM

672 posts, read 2,112,830 times
I think it's a leaf legged bug. I have quite a few here in South Carolina. They have what looks like a little leaf on each back leg which is how it gets it common name. Here are some up close photos at BugGuide.net: leaf-legged bug and another leaf-legged bug

Just looking briefly, they are considered pests but it looks like they go after fruit trees and a few agricultural crops (Texas A&M factsheet). I leave them alone at my property since they aren't bothering anything I am growing. It looks like a pheromone trap might be your best bet to trap them. Your County Extension agent will have the best advice on how to treat them if they are damaging your fruit trees.

Last edited by Mary Ann789; 06-07-2012 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 06-08-2012, 03:40 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Here I sat, reading this entire thread and thinking to myself, "that's a leaf-footed bug"....and then here we are - - Mary Ann got the correct answer in there and beat me to it!

They are among my favorite bugs! Always loved them!

Old 06-08-2012, 02:07 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
yup, a leaf-foot bug.

Fort Bend County Master Gardeners

Old 06-08-2012, 02:27 PM

Thanks Mary Ann(and rainroosty, even though she beat you.... hee hee hee.....).

It is definitely Acanthocephala terminalis.... the pictures are exactly like it... and i suspect it is the bug that I have been hunting for that keeps getting to my peaches and puncturing the outer skin enabling the sugar sap to drain from the peaches making a hard clear sticky gel dribbling from my peaches..... I'm 99% sure I have my culprit in my sights now.... hee hee hee.... Thanks everyone!!!

Old 06-08-2012, 03:04 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I think it's a western conifer seed bug. I caught a few and looked them up before on What's That Bug. They look like stink bugs but they are narrower.

Western Conifer Seed Bug | What's That Bug?

Update: Oops, I only looked at the OP's second pic. Didn't see the leaf things on the legs, but the body is very similar.
Leaf Footed Bugs | What's That Bug?

Anyway, try the What's That Bug? site--I love looking up mysterious bugs there, but make sure your security system is working: I get all kinds of warnings of "threats detected" when I go on their site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden