Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,056,323 times

Advertisements

I planted pumpkin seeds from a pumpkin approx 7 weeks ago. The vines only have grown about a foot & stopped growing a few weeks or so ago. From my experience last year the vines should of grown alot more. Any ideas why this happened ? I may just start from scratch tomorrow & plant seeds from a packet. I know it takes 90 days or so for pumkins to mature so they wont mature till late oct (i dont plan to carve them for halloween).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:33 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,186,961 times
What do the plants look like?

Still green and healthy?

Are they dry? punkins don't like to be dry but not a swamp ether.

it should be vineing (is that even a word) out by now for you,

My main vine is only around 3ft ling on mt biggest one but mine didn't come up until mid June. You can watch it grow, about 5-9"+ a day at this point.

I'm growing 6 plants this summer. 5 of then are from a world record punkins.
(3,1240lb Bogie 2009) and (2, 1422lb Bogie 2010)

I'm still learning too, these folks at Bigpumpkins.com are very helpful.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:48 AM

878 posts, read 2,741,615 times
I have a question also, not hijacking your thread I promise, I planted some Kabocha squash, do the vines have to run in grass or dirt or can they run on concrete or a fence? I know I am a novice. Now to the OP....I planted some seeds about 3 weeks ago and mine are growing rapidly but this is a Japanese Pumpkin so may be different.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:57 AM

I dont know about squash but your vines are growing perfectly. Keep in mind i planted seeds around 7 weeks ago (approx 5/22) & the vines should be alot longer by now. Im not sure if i should just let them be or tear them out & plant seeds from a packet. I think ill do the later. A pack of seeds costs a few dollars.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:30 PM

Its been 2 months since i planted the pumpkin seeds directly from the pumpkin & the vines have barely grown. After 2 months they should be quite long. Today i ripped out the vines & planted seeds from a packet i bought at home depot for $2.29. They are the halloween type seeds from a conn field. I know its late in the year to plant (best time to plant is by late spring) but i should hopefully get some nice pumpkins. I didnt plan to carve any for halloween & the growing time is 90-120 days (late oct-nov). Its crazy how time flys by. October is just a lil over 2 months away. I do plan to decorate this yr as i have for years. Ill keep whoever is intrested updated.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,439,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Its been 2 months since i planted the pumpkin seeds directly from the pumpkin & the vines have barely grown. After 2 months they should be quite long. Today i ripped out the vines & planted seeds from a packet i bought at home depot for $2.29. They are the halloween type seeds from a conn field. I know its late in the year to plant (best time to plant is by late spring) but i should hopefully get some nice pumpkins. I didnt plan to carve any for halloween & the growing time is 90-120 days (late oct-nov). Its crazy how time flys by. October is just a lil over 2 months away. I do plan to decorate this yr as i have for years. Ill keep whoever is intrested updated.

Funny, this reminded me of our "neighborhood" gardens. Our pumpkins ran right through TWO backyards, and came to rest in a nieghbor's tomato patch. The neighbor on the other side of us planted cucumbers which climbed the fence and grew on our side! We got together one night and had a salad feast! Those were the days. Nowadays, neighbors would be suing each other for ownership of the produce, etc

Old 07-23-2012, 03:27 PM

When i see pumpkins its reminds me of the seasons changing. I so miss the falls back in western penna. At least here in yucaipa,ca (elev 2,500 feet) the weather is a lil cooler then the lower elevations in the inland empire.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:01 PM

607 posts, read 1,395,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Not sure if it's relevant out in your neck of the woods, but one of the things you have to worry about when planting them late is frost. I know out here in Southern Ohio, it's not unheard of to get our first frost in October. Anyways, keep us updated. Pumpkins can be some of the hardest type of plants to grow, but one of the most rewarding if successful.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:30 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,140,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
Not sure if it's relevant out in your neck of the woods, but one of the things you have to worry about when planting them late is frost. I know out here in Southern Ohio, it's not unheard of to get our first frost in October. Anyways, keep us updated. Pumpkins can be some of the hardest type of plants to grow, but one of the most rewarding if successful.
Frost ? I thought it had to freeze.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:53 PM

607 posts, read 1,395,445 times
My bad, I meant freeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden