Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM

72 posts, read 123,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I recommend that you get a Honda, self propelled, rear-drive, gas-powered mower. It costs a little more but you will appreciate it so much more. You will thank me afterward.

Don't forget to get an edger/ trimmer/ weed whacker for the borders as well.
Thank you hb2hsv, what kind of trimmer weed whacker do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 12:50 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesea111 View Post
Thank you hb2hsv, what kind of trimmer weed whacker do you recommend?
I had a troybilt from Lowes for 4 years then it crapped out on me. It is a 2 cycle engine (you'll need to mix gas with oil). So now I am looking for a replacement. Others may have a good recommendation.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:11 PM

416 posts, read 630,508 times
For a weed whacker I'd go with an electric, you have a small yard, no need for gas powered. The Black & Decker 7.2-Amp 14" Electric String Trimmer and Edger has been working well for me. Just be careful not to hit the cord, you'll probably want a 100ft extension cord. You may want a better edger though, this will do light edging, not so good for the hard stuff.

Quote:
Are they brandname, bermuda,zoysia, bent or KBG? sorry I'm a first time yard owner.
Those are types of grass. KBG stands for Kentucky Bluegrass.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:51 PM

72 posts, read 123,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunegames View Post
For a weed whacker I'd go with an electric, you have a small yard, no need for gas powered. The Black & Decker 7.2-Amp 14" Electric String Trimmer and Edger has been working well for me. Just be careful not to hit the cord, you'll probably want a 100ft extension cord. You may want a better edger though, this will do light edging, not so good for the hard stuff.

Those are types of grass. KBG stands for Kentucky Bluegrass.
Thank you for your information.kitsunegames.
How do you think of cordless trimmer?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:07 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
With a yard that small there's no way I would buy another gasoline engine I have to maintain and have serviced. And remember, you also have to have a vehicle large enough to get it to the shop.

If the yard is flat and you are in decent shape, I would get a manual reel mower. Buy a good knife sharpener and you can do the blades yourself too. Makes no noise and uses no fuel. It will last almost forever. I'm old and it would probably take me 1/2 hour to mow that yard.

My next choice would be electric. Lightweight and low maintenance.

No way would I buy a huge honking mower with automatic drive for a yard the size of a postage stamp!

Old 07-27-2012, 02:09 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input.
Is that a problem if I take a vacation for a couple of weeks? what should I do if it grows too high? Will manual mower not help any more?

It depends on when you take your vacation, grass grows better in the cooler temps of Spring and Fall and tends to go dormant during the heat of Summer.

The reel mower will cut longer grass but it's a pain, I go over it with a weed whacker first if it gets away from me. Since you asked I have a battery powered WORX trimmer, it would be suitable for what you have.

My oldest daughter used a reel mower on her 1.5 acre yard. That only lasted one summer, though.

In my opinion the recommendation for you to get a self-propelled mower for your flat yard is overkill, unless you have a disability of some sort.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
My yard is around 1000sf(front plus back). what kind of mower do you suggest? electrical,gas or manual?

Is it possible that I use manual lawn mower for exercise? Is there anyone enjoying the exercise? what's the disadvantage for that?
I would definitely not get a self-propelled mower. I hate them and it would be overkill for the size of your yard. I think I would get a manual reel mower. I checked the prices at Home Depot and they go for $84 to $229. It will last forever, no repairs and no buying gas. I haven't used one, but they supposedly cut better than a power mower.

Electric mowers start at around $149 and you can spend up to $500. They are quiet, and don't require buying gas and oil. Repairs should be less than a gas engine and starting will not be a problem. I had a couple of Lawn Boys that were a hassle to start and were always in the shop.

Whatever you get, don't bag your grass and don't use a weedwacker. Mulching your grass is good for it and will require less fertilizer. Weedwackers are dangerous and encourage crabgrass to grow where you hit into the dirt. You can probably get by with a hand trimmer.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:22 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
(((
Quote:

Thank you for detail explanation. it really helpful.
Are they brandname, bermuda,zoysia, bent or KBG? sorry I'm a first time yard owner. Is that a problem if I take a vacation for a couple of weeks? what should I do if it grows too high? Will manual mower not help any more?
)))

No those are different species of turfgrass.
You said in a later reply that you have Kentucky bluegrass... that is what I meant by KBG. I forgot for a second I wasn't on one of the lawn forums. When that stuff is most actively growing, autumn and again in spring, you will need to mow it more frequently to ensure that it can be cut with the that type of mower. I've actually used mine to maintain Ky bluegrass at less than an inch height. It became very dense and beautiful with other inputs (water, fertilizer, etc) but it can grow very fast during those peak times and you wouldn't want to go on vacation for 2 weeks, no. It'll just become more difficult to cut, maybe requiring more than one pass to get it all. Worse case, you'll have to increase the mowing height then lower it again. 7-10 days maybe.

(((
Quote:
)))

You can but I really wouldn't recommend that particular mower.

I would instead recommend one of the smaller 14-16" mowers made by American Lawnmower (you should be able to find at Sears with the Craftsman label on it). Go to sears dot com and type in "reel mower" in the search box. Again, I would not recommend the 20" mower. See if you can find a 7 blade model.
Sears has a good return policy too if you decide you no likey.

(((
Quote:
I agree with you , but Grass is required by HOA
)))

Ah... but does the HOA specify how much grass?
Chances are you can reduce you turfgrass by 50% by putting in borders and islands and flower beds and have even less to cut and they'd think it was beautiful. Add value to the home and spend less time mowing. Think about it.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:50 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In my opinion the recommendation for you to get a self-propelled mower for your flat yard is overkill, unless you have a disability of some sort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I would definitely not get a self-propelled mower. I hate them and it would be overkill for the size of your yard. I think I would get a manual reel mower.
I admire all these macho talks but you have no idea of OP's gender, age, physical stature and conditions.

I am 6' 210 lbm male in good physical shape, but a gas power push-behind mower on a hot summer day have me pretty exhausted. Granted the OP's yard is on the small side but it is not the area that is exhausting, it is making the mower to do turns and and border mowing. If you enjoy pushing & pulling a 30 lbm weight in a hot humid summer day, I'd say go for it.

A manual mower is like shaving with a dull blade. It's okay if you are 17 yr old and like pushing through the same area multiple times.

Having a Honda lawn mower makes mowing lawn a much enjoyable experience. A self-propelled will literally make you "walk" with the mower as oppose to "push" a mower forward. It also has a one-pull start, no more frustration in trying to get a mower started. It has a bag catcher or a mulch option. I do occasionally like to catch the clipping to use them as mulch for my garden. Best of all, it's a Honda. Buy quality and you'll never regret it. Nuff said.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:55 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
I would just go with a cheap, small, steel deck, gas rotary push mower for that much lawn. Keep the blade sharp and only store it with a full tank of gas. Also; always check the oil. You don't have to worry about batteries or cords. It will cut grass even when it gets tall while you are vacationing. The self propelled units are heavier and have more parts that could break. Plus you don't have that much grass.

As far as weed eaters; I would recommend just a cheap Weed Eater gas 2-cycle (you mix gas and oil together). I have had one for about thirty years and I have five acres that I mow and trim. Don't get paranoid about weed wackers making weeds – they will easily help you control your weeds.

The reason that I said to store gas power equipment with a full tank is: If you store your equipment with just a little fuel it will evaporate and gum up the carburetor. They do make an additive that helps for very long term storage (Sta-Bil) – but that should not be needed for the half year storage of summer (or winter) equipment with a full tank.

Do not confuse the gas and oil mix for your 2-cycle equipment with straight gas for your lawnmower.

I did sell lawnmowers many years ago.

Last edited by fisheye; 07-27-2012 at 04:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden