Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:40 PM

659 posts, read 1,016,031 times

Advertisements

I just bought a house and the former owner has 3 mature crab apple trees in the middle of the yard. I know they aren't edible but wondering if it is worth keeping them? They seem pretty messy. They have benches under the tree and lights pointing up so they must be pretty some time during the year.

They also have regular apple trees and apricots, I see seeds all under the trees. As much s I like fruit trees, I am just wondering if keeping them up will be difficult?

The former owner also has grapes, but look to be pretty neat right now, but do the vines get out of control and do I have to clean them out every fall or summer? I have no idea how to care for my backyard, even though it's gorgeous right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 01:42 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,384,737 times
Crabs are nice trees, their main ornamental feature is the flowers (spring).
Unfortunately they are sometimes prone to a number of pests and diseases but if they aren't showing any signs of those diseases I don't know why you'd want to remove them unless they're planted in a bad spot.

The edible apples on the other hand.... I would and . They are a p.i.t.b. At least in my climate they are.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:38 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,703,111 times
How are the regular apple trees? If you have the time and interest, why not consider taking care of 'em? Nothing better than a source of food other than the grocery store, ya know what I mean? Even if the apples aren't picture perfect, turning them into applesauce will take care of that! Nothing better than homemade apple sauce!

Old 08-18-2012, 12:35 PM

37,497 posts, read 61,508,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
I just bought a house and the former owner has 3 mature crab apple trees in the middle of the yard. I know they aren't edible but wondering if it is worth keeping them? They seem pretty messy. They have benches under the tree and lights pointing up so they must be pretty some time during the year.

They also have regular apple trees and apricots, I see seeds all under the trees. As much s I like fruit trees, I am just wondering if keeping them up will be difficult?

The former owner also has grapes, but look to be pretty neat right now, but do the vines get out of control and do I have to clean them out every fall or summer? I have no idea how to care for my backyard, even though it's gorgeous right now.
If you do not like edible plants than remove them.

My Dw cans so she harvests crabapples to make pectin.

We have an orchard, which includes apples, peaches, pears, cherries, elderberries, nuts and herbs. All of my apple trees use crabapple as their rootstock. If you do not like crabapples, you may have a sweet apple grafted onto your crabapple trees.

Fruit trees usually need to be sprayed with a 'dormant oil spray' every fall to control pests. An early spring pruning works good for most fruit trees. Then leave them alone the rest of the year.

Grapes usually require periodic training through-out the growing season, and pruning after harvest.

Local nurseries should run free classes to teach these skills every year. Or else they should be able to recommend various local gardeners who can do it for you.

Your local Ag extension office should also have classes.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:35 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,068,278 times
I love our crab apple tree - it is spectactular in the spring.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:00 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,703,111 times
Many birds will go for the crabapples. I'd keep them just for that reason alone. I notice, too, that the more birds I attract to my property the fewer insects I have. Think about this a bit before rushing to remove them.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:15 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,426,131 times
I'd leave all the trees for at least a year so you can see them. Apples are pest/fungus prone...but they're still edible and do produce pretty blossoms in spring. There's a wild apple tree in the woods behind my house, and the fruit's buggy, but it is still delicious.

Makes me feel a little sorry for the previous owners. They'd probably worked pretty hard to plant all the trees and things...only to have someone cut them down...If the op doesn't like fruit, I guess the trees are problematic...but picking/eating the fruit may reduce the mess.

You can make jelly out of crabapples. The other fruit can also be made into jelly/jam or eaten fresh. One way I clean up the "mess" under my fruit trees is by throwing the fallen fruit into the compost pile. I use the compost to enrich bad soil and on my veggies.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:44 PM

Decided remove all the trees in plants in the back yard and start over fresh. Such a shame because they are so huge right now.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:53 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,204,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
Decided remove all the trees in plants in the back yard and start over fresh. Such a shame because they are so huge right now.
Why don't you wait until you see the area in the spring? You might not be able to duplicate the beauty.
You could be making a BIG mistake if you take out all the old trees.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Why don't you wait until you see the area in the spring? You might not be able to duplicate the beauty.
You could be making a BIG mistake if you take out all the old trees.

Because I just found out one of the former owners hung himself in the shed way in the back. Fortunately the yard is big and the shed was far as it could be from the house. Getting rid of everything including the shed and starting new. Yuk.. so creepy the last owner kept the shed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden