Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:16 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,136,039 times

Advertisements

EAST LANSING, Mich. — The discovery of a new gene could lead to better bug-resistant plants.

Research led by Michigan State University and appearing on the cover of this week’s Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, demonstrates that domestic tomatoes could re-learn a thing or two from their wild cousins.

Long-term cultivation has led to tomato crops losing beneficial traits common to wild tomatoes. Anthony Schilmiller, MSU research assistant professor of biochemistry and molecular biology, was able to identify a gene that is involved in one of these beneficial traits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,379,725 times
I'm sure Monsanto will get right on that.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:53 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,411,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
*twitter* (no not the stupid website...the onomatopoeia)

Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Yep, looks like. It was already in the wilder tomatoes so it would be no big deal putting it back.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:06 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,790,215 times
Quote:
The humor is appreciated but I can't laugh or make jokes. Thankfully the funding for this particular research was the national Science Foundation and it was a fantastic start.

The sad fact is so many things are being patented by the big companies who then can turn around and demand high fees for limited access all the while claiming their work is for the greater good. The value of all the "heritage" plants is what they may still contain that today's over bred farm stocks no longer have and this clearly shows why "ownership" is a bad thing. Monsanto isn't alone in this, they just happen to be the most visible to the average American.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM

I don't know that you can patent something that's already was already found wild in nature but removed from the "new" plant, can it?

Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,790,215 times
It is not a matter of if they can but that they have already set the precedent for patenting living things. Every time the big agro-companies "improve" a variety they have made it a "new" one and will attempt to patent it to keep the ownership and therefore the income the plant or animal produces. The hope of the big companies s to develop the "best" plant with the "best" fruit or seed with the biggest demand and to have a strangle hold on it so they can sell to the highest bidders what used to be available to all.

Here's a sample of what the patent process looks like: SWEET GRAPE TOMATO - Patent application

Neutral parties are hard to come by but here is a fairly decent "history" of the existing patenting: Patenting Genes

A more anti patent discussion can be found here: Patent on tomato becomes a landmark decision | no patents on seeds

Old 09-18-2012, 10:35 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,820,073 times
I will take heirloom tomatoes.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 PM

54 posts, read 118,959 times
I grow over 40 different varieties of tomatoes organically and more than half are heirloom (I really don't have a "bug" issue, just a late season tomato horn worm one and by then I'm pretty much sold out or out of season for wholesale) Now you wanna talk peppers....Aphids are my main problem early season!! Been using many OMRI approved applications of products from BioWorks and so far been a lifesaver! Ladybird beatles, even the 'stay home' variety don't seem to know how to read their instructions!

As for tomatoes the San Marzano that is all the rave with chef's is really not the tomato the average gardener wants to grow unless they want a very dry, tasteless (IMO) produce to make some sauce they can clean out their spice cabinet with! Give me a versitile roma anyday! End of growing season in IL and just had to get that outta me!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:21 AM

Seems to me if you had hot enough peppers then bugs wouldn't touch it. But what do I know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden