Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,452,220 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but got an email from back east saying that one of the houses is getting these bugs all over inside:

One I figure out what they are, I can tell them how to control them in the house.
Attached Thumbnails
What bug is this? They are all over the place-bug.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,172,683 times
Stinkbugs!
If you find a way to control them let me know. They seem to invade my house a couple of times a year for a few weeks at a time. They leave a mess on my curtains and walls.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:54 AM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Brown marmorated stink bug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-27-2012, 07:07 AM

41,984 posts, read 75,252,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Stinkbugs!
If you find a way to control them let me know.
Cats.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
Do not squash them or try to suck them up with a vacuum. You will find out the hard way why they're called stink bugs. They're relatively slow and fairly easy to catch, so I just toss them out the door when I see them.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:34 AM

8 posts, read 6,423 times
In the past several years I have observed that in the mid- Atlantic region their population seems to have a big spike right around the autumn equinox till there is a string of robust frosts.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,671,894 times
It's stink bug season! Now is the time they'll be looking to hole up in your house for the winter.

And guess what, once they do that in your house they'll find their way back each year because they leave a trail that they can follow for at least a mile. You see them most in fall when they want in and spring when they want out, and maybe if you get a warm spell in winter. Most of the time through the winter though you won't see them, and in the summer you won't see them much.

It's an invasive species from Asia I believe, but basically harmless inside your house, doesn't bite or anything. (Outside in the summer they are a threat to certain crops, like tomatoes I think is one.) They're slow so I catch them with little cups and flush 'em. Waste of water but just chucking them back outside doesn't help. I remember someone saying they keep a bucket and let 'em drown in there, then can flush a larger amount with just one flush.

They are drawn to light so some people have developed traps with a light to trap them, including at least one DIY made from a 2-liter bottle that you can search for on YouTube. The don't respond well to most pesticides (that shape doesn't just look like a shield, it IS a shield!) although I have seen some product at big orange box store that claims to be a stink bug killing spray. Have not tried it.

And yes, you don't want to crush or vacuum them as they will stink.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 AM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
I get around the wasted water thing by catching them with a bit of duct tape, then folding over the tape and just tossing into the trash.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,452,220 times
Thanks all, for the replies. Hopefully they won't be there too long.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 PM

24,428 posts, read 23,088,846 times
You are the proud owner of a stinkbug. I had one crawling across the computer screen a few nights ago. I coaxed him onto a piece of paper and tossed him in the waste can. Hopefully he stayed in there. If I see one in the bathroom, it goes in the toilet.
We took out the window air conditioner units a little later than we should have and found maybe a dozen hiding on the screen inside the window. Thats way down from the HUNDRED I had to vacuum out of the drapes 2 years ago. I read in the paper that they're far less prevalent this year. A few were in the drapesthis time but only a few. I still see them though. I had one on the window of the car and gave him a blast of eye glass cleaner to chase him off.I saw one on the porch walk. Another was outside on the window.The trick is to not them congregate in any numbers so don't give them any place to get in.
They'll crawl into the house to get warm and come in through cracks or gaps or crawl under siding. Then they head for light and will buzz lamps or walk along walls. They get in our attic and then com down through the bathroom light vent. Don't squash them or they will stink. I've never found out how bad. I know the dog won't eat them.
A simple trap is to put a light in a gallon jug with water in it in a dark room or attic and they'll fly in and drown. Or just have them stay in the jug seal it and throw it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden