Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,564 times

Advertisements

I have some 5 gal trees that I purchased recently and I have never planted trees before. I would like to plant them now however being in TX, as most people know, our summers are brutal. So, I can either baby them all summer and plant them in the fall since our winters are mild, or go ahead and plant them now. For those of you who have planted trees, what has your experience been? I'm in the north central TX area (lots of cedars, rocky soil).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
I would plant them as soon as you can get the holes dug. Planting them now the trees and their root system will be fully established before the cold winter arrives at the end of the year.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
it's not the cold weather he should be worrying about. it is the hot dry summer which will cause much more damage than winter. after all trees go dormant in winter--not summer. i used to live in Oklahoma City. Don't know if they have the same zone. if you can heel the trees in now I would do that instead of planting them. I think spring comes pretty early where you are and the summers are gawd awful. by heeling the trees in- keep them in their pots but bury them up to their rims in mulch or dirt or compost - you can keep the roots contained, cool and monitor watering and don't let them dry out. If you wait to plant them in the fall they will have a better chance but if you plant them now the summer extremes can do a lot of damage. Just be sure to keep them watered and protected from the heat. don't let the pots sit in the sun either. ask your local extension service what they recommend but this is what i would do. good luck.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 PM

Planting in the winter is not recomended with those trees op has. They are dormant at that time, they will not wake up and establish themselves until the next spring/summer growing time. Then you've wasted a whole growing season.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
The best time is in the fall but plant them now. Just make sure this summer you water very well. Give them a good soaking at least 1 time a week during the heat. Do not fertilize until next year.

Add mulch around the bottom of the tree to hold in the water.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The best time is in the fall but plant them now. Just make sure this summer you water very well. Give them a good soaking at least 1 time a week during the heat. Do not fertilize until next year.

Add mulch around the bottom of the tree to hold in the water.
Agreed. Fall is best. Texas is weird, as opposed to a lot of the country, trees generally do better planted in the fall. Shrubs, too. And we divide in the fall, as well. But since the OP has the trees, get them in the ground before it gets to hot and make sure to try and get them established. Keep up with them throughout the summer...made that mistake with shrubs!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:31 AM

OP has stated he has already purchased the trees in containers. If he waits til fall/winter to plant out of those containers they will probably be rootbound, tightly wound in a circle and difficult to plant then. If not planted now then they will have to be watched carefully for watering etc, and if neglected they could dry out and die over the hot summer. So I recomend he plants them now to get them established.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:22 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,585 times
Yep.

uh

Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
I have some 5 gal trees that I purchased recently and I have never planted trees before. I would like to plant them now however being in TX, as most people know, our summers are brutal. So, I can either baby them all summer and plant them in the fall since our winters are mild, or go ahead and plant them now. For those of you who have planted trees, what has your experience been? I'm in the north central TX area (lots of cedars, rocky soil).
Fall to early spring is the best time--from about November to March. However, you can plant now, but as long as the drought lasts, you will probably have to water deeply 3x/week. Talk to your local nursery professionals and follow their recommendations. Where we are in South Texas, there is no moisture at all in the ground so you have to provide it all.

Also, you can look at "tree gator bags" which zip up around the trunk of a tree and provide a slow drip of 20gallons over 9 hours or so. You can move the bag to a different tree every day so you don't have to buy one for each tree. Be sure and check to make sure the trunk is long enough for the bag. I know you can order them online if you can't find them where you live.

You can also keep the trees in pots over the summer, but you may have to water more often--but it will take less water than if they're in the ground.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,564 times
Thanks everyone! As TXNGL mentioned, TX IS weird when it comes to weather. I was leaning towards getting them planted because I would like the trees to get a head start on getting established but wanted to see what kind of experience other people had.
My parents have always purchased and planted their trees in the fall, with great success however my neighbors bought trees last spring and babied them all summer, fall, winter and just planted them last week. I just know that I don’t want to do that, that is just too long, imo to leave them in a container. I just don't seem to have good luck with finding trees in the summer/fall, they are all picked over so I always ending up waiting until the spring, then I chicken out because I know the TX summer is approaching.
Personally, I’ve had good luck with my perennial plants and large shrubs, all planted in the spring, but have never planted trees with the exception of desert willows and TX mountain laurels and since those are smaller, decorative trees, I was just a little nervous about planting big trees...ok I am rambling, lol.
I completely forgot about the gator bag, thanks for reminding me! Those are used alot in our area.

Last edited by txtoal; 04-04-2013 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden